The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien's Gigs (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Atlanta at The Tabernacle (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17586)

RenataAQP 03-23-2015 10:45 AM

Atlanta at The Tabernacle

Only 8 more days until the tour starts!! :hello2:
Is anybody else going to the show next tuesday?

ChitownDamo 03-23-2015 11:26 PM

I will be there. Coming in from Chicago and hitting Atlanta Tuesday and Nashville Monday. Anyone know Alt good enough to recommend a good pregaming bar before the show?

Slayer13 03-27-2015 12:47 AM

I'll be there! This will be my 3rd Damien show. Pretty stoked. Got bored at work and put together a reasonable ideal set:

My Favorite Faded Fantasy
Coconut Skins
Cross-Eye Bear
It Takes A Lot to Know a Man
Cold Water
The Animals were Gone
Elephant
Delicate
The Greatest Bastard
I Don’t Want to Change You
Cannonball
Then Go
What if I’m wrong
I Remember

The Professor
Creep
Long Long Way
Eskimo

We shall see what happens :)

ishoutedmyjoy 03-28-2015 01:49 PM

Slice is a decent little place only a block or 2 from the venue. There aren't a lot of decent spots close to the venue.

And does anyone know the opener?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChitownDamo (Post 381552)
I will be there. Coming in from Chicago and hitting Atlanta Tuesday and Nashville Monday. Anyone know Alt good enough to recommend a good pregaming bar before the show?

RenataAQP 03-30-2015 01:15 PM

doesn't look like there is an opening artist.

are there any parking decks near the venue? The Tabernacle website does not show a map with parking options.

Slayer13 03-30-2015 05:19 PM

There are 3-4 well-marked parking options right around the tabernacle (ie within 20 yards). Just drive around and you'll see them marked and people waving flags to get you to park there. I know the show is sold out, but it's a Tuesday night so parking should be around $10 for a deck

RenataAQP 03-30-2015 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slayer13 (Post 381589)
There are 3-4 well-marked parking options right around the tabernacle (ie within 20 yards). Just drive around and you'll see them marked and people waving flags to get you to park there. I know the show is sold out, but it's a Tuesday night so parking should be around $10 for a deck

thanks!!!

Vicko 03-31-2015 02:38 AM

Hey guys,
We have 2 face value tickets for the show ( Last minute cancellations). We are travelling to Atlanta from Tampa so will be on the road most of the day. Call Vincent on
(813) 361- 5008 if interested.

Slayer13 03-31-2015 04:08 AM

PSA: Called the Tabernacle today (who knew - phone calls are still the easiest answer). There is NO OPENER and Damien goes on at 7:45pm sharp with a 9:45pm cut off. So tell your friends - show up late at your own peril.

RenataAQP 03-31-2015 04:40 PM

will be hitting the road in about an hour. Is everybody heading straight to the venue or meeting somewhere before the show?

pretty excited about the show!

carrroline 03-31-2015 04:49 PM

Have fun tonight! Looking forward to reading your stories here :)

ishoutedmyjoy 03-31-2015 04:57 PM

Good to know. Thanks for sharing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slayer13 (Post 381597)
PSA: Called the Tabernacle today (who knew - phone calls are still the easiest answer). There is NO OPENER and Damien goes on at 7:45pm sharp with a 9:45pm cut off. So tell your friends - show up late at your own peril.

borneoman 03-31-2015 07:35 PM

Report back ;)

rachlanee 03-31-2015 08:27 PM

I'm so excited that I feel like I need a nap but I can't sleep and there's no time to.

verenita 03-31-2015 08:37 PM

rach! you will have the best time!
enjoy everybody :)

utopia 03-31-2015 08:43 PM

So excited for my first show! I've been waiting more than a decade to see him live and tonight is the night. Am I correct in assuming this may be the only North American date without an opener? Not that I'm expecting a longer show, but it would be nice! I've always wanted to hear 'Woman Like A Man' live, so here's to hoping!

rachlanee 03-31-2015 08:52 PM

Thanks, Vere! Leaving soon, it's almost a 2hr drive for only 20 miles.

eva_arg 03-31-2015 09:45 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CBdPFXyWEAAn2hI.jpg

Matt Daw
@mattactuallydaw
Sound check with @DamienRice for the first show of the U.S. tour in Atlanta tonight ...and we're off!

https://twitter.com/mattactuallydaw/...21630877773824

mikerennie 03-31-2015 10:04 PM

I'm very interested in the setlist he will pull off tonight. Hopefully he has some secrets up his sleeves!

JasonBono 03-31-2015 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eva_arg (Post 381613)

Matt Daw
@mattactuallydaw
Sound check with @DamienRice for the first show of the U.S. tour in Atlanta tonight ...and we're off!

Great picture, definitly appears that it is a solo tour which is fine by me... Any variation of Damien is just wonderful in my book.

RenataAQP 04-01-2015 02:40 AM

It finished about 15 mins ago.
Here is the set list, i think i got all of them

MFFF
9 crimes
Elephant
The professor
Delicate
IDWTCY
Women like a man
Cold water
the greatest bastard
Amie
older chests
Volcano
Coconut skins
The blowers daughter

He sang Grey room as well, can't remember after what song though

Trusty and true
I remember

I have to drive back so i'll post pics n videos prob tomorrow

utopia 04-01-2015 02:51 AM

What an incredible show. Couldn't have asked for a better set, and seeing him solo just blew me away.

The girl who he picked for Cold Water killed it. Hard to believe she was just a random person out of the audience

InspirationDestination 04-01-2015 05:15 AM

Great for your first show! Thanks for sharing! I loooove him solo, but I think we might get some songs with my bubba in NYC and Philly. Sad that there were no surprises. Would've liked it takes a lot...or camarillas. Hoping for varied set lists and looking forward to your reviews! Was he in good spirits and did he talk much? Or, say anything about the new album he worked on in January?

borneoman 04-01-2015 06:40 AM

looks like Damien has not been practising any new songs :( I think people going to the shows have to push him and request It Takes a Lot... otherwise, he´s not gonna play it...

was gonna ask the same, did he mention anything about the new album?

carrroline 04-01-2015 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borneoman (Post 381623)
looks like Damien has not been practising any new songs :( I think people going to the shows have to push him and request It Takes a Lot... otherwise, he´s not gonna play it...

was gonna ask the same, did he mention anything about the new album?

I think he's just playing what he's comfortable with to start off the tour.
There'll be some surprises later on, i'm sure :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by eva_arg (Post 381613)

Matt Daw
@mattactuallydaw

for a second I thought he was naked. :D

Shaftell 04-01-2015 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carrroline (Post 381624)
I think he's just playing what he's comfortable with to start off the tour.
There'll be some surprises later on, i'm sure :)

for a second I thought he was naked. :D

Lol I was thinking the same thing.

So he randomly selects someone out of the crowd to sing with him? Maybe his assistant or someone scans the crowd prior to the show for someone. Otherwise, most of the ones I've heard on YouTube sound great. I guess all Damien Rice fans have great voices! :D

borneoman 04-01-2015 08:17 AM

really? I´ve heard terrible terrible ones... to the point of wishing he didn´t ask

funniest time was in Berlin when he asked for someone to sing Cold Water... and no one volunteered :D oh the germans :D

carrroline 04-01-2015 10:27 AM

Most of them are terrible. None of them actually know the lines. The worst I've seen was the very drunk girl in Lokeren a couple of years ago.

RenataAQP 04-01-2015 11:49 AM

The show was great!!!!!!! was really happy with the set list, but i agree, i would have loved to hear more songs from the new album.
The show had a bit of a weird/off introduction/start. Idk if it is something the Tabernacle does at every gig or if it was something Damien's people did.
But a voice came out saying that the show would start in 5 minutes and started asking for us to basically turn out phones off and not to forget to enjoy the show and then the whole message repeated again and again until it started fading and then Damien came out. Idk just thought it was so unlike him.

He seemed in a good mood and talked a little here and there. Right before singing IDWTCY he started talking about how sometimes we stay in a relationship even though things are not going well , and for some reason we just keep coming back to it, until eventually one of them realizes that he/she doesn't need it anymore and leaves. He mentioned an analogy about a bird in a birdcage and how then bird would fly out of the cage but then come back to it because it is comfortable there, it's familiar to it. Until the bird realizes he can be somewhere else and doesn't need to go back tothe bird cage. I hope i'm making sense, i'm not very good at explaining things :(

I think he did get annoyed with the amount of people standing up to go take a piss. it was ridiculous!!!!! it was either having to pee or going to get drinks. Right before starting Women like a man he asked the audience that if they needed to take a piss to please do so right after a song ended, not in the middle of a song! (shouldn't people know this? smh) And i think right after he ended that song a mass of people leave their seats, i guess to go pee haha. And then he said he actually needed to take a piss himself so he stepped out of the stage for a bit.

I thought the girl that sang Cold Water with him was ok. I like some other people don't like it when he asks people from the audience, it just doesn't do it for me. The girl seemed to be trying too hard at the beginning, it sounded even fake or forced to me. Towards the end she did do great and i actually enjoyed it.

He didn't mention anything about a new record or working on new stuff :( . I saw on instagram that some people got to meet him after the show. Idk if anybody from here got a chance to do so. I had to leave right after it ended so i could be at work on time this morning.

Overall, i thought it was a great show to start his tour. I think he could ever do wrong for me. I like that his hair is a little longer (like it better that way).
I was able to record IDWTCY and Trusty and True so once i upload those on youtube i'll share the links here.

conanemily 04-01-2015 12:41 PM

wow sounds wonderful... any recordings?:icon_pray