The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Music (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Ben Howard album 2 (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17306)

borneoman 10-12-2014 12:17 PM

Ben Howard album 2

so many great albums this year!!!! Damo, Hozier... and also Ben Howard is back!!! coincidentally, all 3 have been on Jools Holland recently

Ben Howard was on this week and gave 2 breathtaking performances...

this is End of the Affair:

and this is I Forget where we were:

demonhuntress 10-12-2014 10:08 PM

Digging his new stuff! End of the Affair especially. It actually hurts to listen to it.
Ben's a genius and his guitar skills are extraordinary. I'm really upset about him not wanting to play the old songs ever again though! Still hoping I just got it wrong.

This year has been good to us. Many great artist have had new releases. And still waiting for Florence and Lisa next year!

borneoman 10-13-2014 07:42 AM

I thought he was only playing new stuff cos those were "album launch" shows, not proper real shows... but I imagine the next tour is gonna be old/new stuff mixed?

agree on the "almost too painful" lyrics, but loooove them!! Especially, End of the Affair, must be his best song ever... those lyrics wow.... "Living without her/Living at all/Seems to slow me down"

demonhuntress 10-13-2014 10:08 AM

I think he hasn't been very comfortable with the screaming teen audience lately. The new album sounds less mania-friendly. If you watched the iTunes gig, you might have heard him say this:
"See, I'm not playing the old songs tonight, only the new stuff.....and never going back again..."
I'm not quoting though, this is what I remember. Someone should confirm. Hopefully, I just got mistaken.

Although, he actually played Depth Over Distance, which isn't exactly new.

borneoman 10-13-2014 10:11 AM

yes, looks like the album is gonna be kinda dark and less poppy than the first, which is great!!!

jasmineha 10-21-2014 08:29 PM

Has anyone gotten tickets to Ben Howard? The presale for his upcoming shows was not bad at all..

borneoman 10-22-2014 08:26 AM

I´m seeing him in Copenhagen in Nov!!!! cannot wait, already saw him 2 years ago and he was all kinds of amazing live! not the chattiest singer ever but very good!!!

jasmineha 10-22-2014 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borneoman (Post 376919)
I´m seeing him in Copenhagen in Nov!!!! cannot wait, already saw him 2 years ago and he was all kinds of amazing live! not the chattiest singer ever but very good!!!

I've heard that he's not chatty. Fine with me! Just want to go and let the sound soak into me. :)

dawno 10-25-2014 01:11 AM

Tickets for his Philly show went onsale today at noon, I missed out, perhaps he'll add a second show.

Edit:

Just checked stubhub... there are 151 tickets available right now, starting at three times face value.

I really hate some people :(

verenita 10-27-2014 09:36 AM

i saw him once, two years ago in EP. only one hour show but absolutely blow minded!

demonhuntress 10-28-2014 06:48 PM

I'm seeing him in Vienna in a month. yay!

Gatsby 11-04-2014 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borneoman (Post 376058)
yes, looks like the album is gonna be kinda dark and less poppy than the first, which is great!!!

Exactly this. His music has transformed, gotten darker and moodier, something that i wish a mister damien did himself after his first album. ;)

I adored the Burgh Island EP, but this album is incredible. End of the affair and small things are stand out tracks. The live spotify gig versions are so much better than the album versions. Bodes well for his gigs.

Have tickets for his Dublin show, luckily he added 2 dates as the first night at the olympia sold out in seconds.

jasmineha 12-21-2014 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borneoman (Post 376919)

So, how was it??!

borneoman 12-24-2014 10:00 AM

Got mixed feeling about the gig, wasn´t as amazing as I wanted it to be...

first, it was a very short show, 1 hour-ish, he played just 12 songs... the 10 new songs from the album + a couple of old ones, which were none of my favourites... and when you´re used to those Glen/Damo shows of 2-3 hours playing cazillions of songs and putting themselves 200% into the show... I was a bit disappointed, not a bad show but not the bestest

demonhuntress 01-18-2015 11:36 PM

I have to say that BH in Vienna was the second best (nothing will ever beat Damien in Prague) show I've ever seen. Front row makes a difference! The sound, the lightning, the visuals... Blew my mind. The gig was even greater than I expected it to be. Ben's different from Damo/Glen. He's so dark and mysterious, reserved. I think he has difficulties connecting to the audience, unlike those two. And, considering who the majority of the people who come see him are, I get it. It was so embarrasing when a girl from behind just pushed her way through the crowd to tell him she really loved him and to show him a tatto of his signature (yes, really!) on her neck. Ew.

I have to say the older songs he played weren't exactly my favourites but surprisingly, I really enjoyed them live. There was something about the show. The integrity maybe. You could smell his perfectionism which was a fit really, unlike the oh-so-spontaneous Damo/Glen. I don't really think you can compare Ben to them coz I think they all want to do it differently. And I'm glad we don't have dozens of Damiens over here :)

carrroline 02-02-2015 07:30 AM

He's really starting to win me over. I wasn't a fan of the first album, but I love the melancholic sound of his guitar in some of the new songs.
My favourites at the moment: 'Conrad', 'End of the Affair' and 'I forget where we were'

demonhuntress 04-14-2015 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carrroline (Post 381063)
He's really starting to win me over. I wasn't a fan of the first album, but I love the melancholic sound of his guitar in some of the new songs.
My favourites at the moment: 'Conrad', 'End of the Affair' and 'I forget where we were'

Conrad has the most beautiful lyrics! I didn't like the song at first as I found it too monotone but when I started realizing the meaning of the lyrics it has grown on me instantly.

The debut was very very good, I liked it a lot but IFWWW might be my favourite album ever ♥

2014/2015 is such an epic year music-wise! And if we get new Lisa within another year, we'll know we'll never have a better one than this :D (Heard Damo was up to something even newer as well but that just sounds too perfect to be true)

carrroline 04-15-2015 02:05 PM

(:D totally off topic, but…)
I can't wait for Lisa's new album! (I'm actually more exited about lisa's 3rd album, than another one from damien — sorry damien ) But she's not in a hurry apparently, so I guess it will take a little longer. And I wish she'd tour this summer, but so far it's only the gig in Paris (which I can't go to) :(