The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Everything Else (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   The 2009 What Made You Smile Thread (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15679)

Ships_Were_Sailin 01-01-2009 01:17 PM

The 2009 What Made You Smile Thread

Ive been waiting years to get one of these topics under my belt. So lets begin the new year with a new topic!

Im smiling for no real reason, just sitting around playing with my macbook. Going back to uni in a week and im actually looking forward to it! So now im just relaxing till next thursday. Had a real low key new year with my family.

Your turn! How was your new year?

Canadian Island 01-01-2009 01:54 PM

A very good friend visited me and we sat in my room to have some good food, whiskey and talked about '08 and plans for '09. One hour before midnight we went to another friend of mine to watch the fireworks from his roof. After that we went to the Café Central to meet the "in-crowd"... kind of. I had a fun time. And I found myself in a local culture magazine. I tried not to show off to the people around, but it was too hard to resist. :D

verenita 01-01-2009 02:15 PM

i was a pretty quiet night with my mum, my bother vladimir and a friend of our (kind of my second mum) at her house. after midnight, we went to visit some neighbors (they played some galician songs, which was really good), and then (by 1 am i guess), i put once on my dvd player, watched the movie and went to sleep...

my smile for today, the first day of the new year: being at home i guess...

happy new year to everyone, by the way :)

Ships_Were_Sailin 01-01-2009 04:36 PM

wow you two sound like you had really nice times :D

bearbait 01-01-2009 05:00 PM

Had a nice quiet New Year's with assorted members of my husband's family (we all rented a house at a ski resort for a week). We played games, had a little Espresso Vodka (I highly recommend), watched the ball drop on TV and went to bed. The best part was that the baby slept in til 7am this morning :hello2:

Joyful 01-01-2009 09:21 PM

I am new to the world of facebook. Out of curiousity, I just found my high school obsession by e-snooping. He was once the ultimate bad boy, tortured artist, in and out of rehab, musician, misunderstood genius, you know the type, basically TROUBLE. For my 16 year old self he was the perfect unreachable guy. Anyway... now he is living in a wealthy neighborhood, looks like your average yuppie, is no longer cute, and *gasp* he has found Jesus. Ahahahahahahahah!!! On one hand I am glad that he is alive (this was not a sure thing back in the day), but on the other hand I am blown away that one could change so much. Illusions shattered. Facebook is so weird.

Yetzirah 01-02-2009 09:47 AM

just pretend that you never found him and he'll stay this weird guy in your memory and you can tell your kids your story until the point you finished high school... or you can plan things a bit and prepare them for life and tell them how you found him again and he found jesus and illusions can be shattered... you can use all this for a brilliant story, no matter how far you tell it ;)

nothing so far has made me really smile today. oh, i'm still in my pj's, that makes me smile! i actually got some for christmas and they're soooooo comfy. my first pj's in years!

Joyful 01-02-2009 04:43 PM

^ Thanks for the advice. I kinda feel that what has been seen cannot been unseen though ;) Oh well. I am still amused by this.
Another facebook observation, it would appear that all of the guys from my high school are using their kids pics as their main facebook picture. While this is sweet and all ( and I am a mom I understand this), really can they not have a pic of themselves too? Apparently this is what happens to guys from my area in their 30's. Interestingly enough, I am finding this is not the case with half of the women. It is so weird to see pics and catchup with people that I knew a lifetime ago. So that is my smile. It's a little freaked out, and a little smirky, but it is a smile.

And lastly Jo, yes comfy pj's are the best! :)

verenita 01-02-2009 06:22 PM

i´ll quote myself:

Quote:

i´ve got a job interview tomorrow!

well... it turned out... i get this job! :hello2::hello2:
it´s really cool, i´ll teach spanish to foreign pupils who want to study spanish in buenos aires... i´m really really happy :D

Joyful 01-02-2009 07:47 PM

^ Hurray Verenita! Great news!

Canadian Island 01-02-2009 08:46 PM

^^ that's really cool. when will you start?

Yetzirah 01-02-2009 09:35 PM

congratulations, verena! i knew you'd get the job, well done!

i just went to an african place up the road with my brother and my boyfriend. we had a really nice dinner and i tried some palm wine. really interesting taste... anyone ever tried that?

Wheels 01-02-2009 09:38 PM

Congrats

Cerque 01-02-2009 11:36 PM

I was on a quiet beach in South France with my friends. We decided to light a camp fire( even though it was illegal ) I brought a guitar. We snuck along th side of a cliff where the waves crashed against a barrier and light the fire after a whilre. My freind pulled out his i pod and we sang and [layed guitar to our favourite songs. All six of us stayed there drinking cheap german beer in France and things couldn't get any better. We stayed there for ours into the night.

srahman24 01-03-2009 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verenita (Post 342430)

well... it turned out... i get this job! :hello2::hello2:
it´s really cool, i´ll teach spanish to foreign pupils who want to study spanish in buenos aires... i´m really really happy :D

Congrats Vee! :smiley32:

I went out earlier and found a $230 blazer on sale for... $34! Also, a friend just sent over a copy of a video from our new years party involving a drunken rendition of Living On A Prayer (we were playing Guitar Hero). We're atrociously bad, but in the best possible way.

verenita 01-03-2009 04:42 PM

thank you guys :)

Yetzirah 01-03-2009 04:51 PM

i'm just smiling because i'm just learning my line for the verdi requiem. it's just so beautiful (the entire piece of course)!

Canadian Island 01-03-2009 07:00 PM

i just told greta (aka your middle name) that she's mentioned here and she's probably smiling now and so am i because of this

srahman24 01-04-2009 02:55 AM

Team Canada beat Russia!! 6-5 in a shoot out :D We scored with 5.4 seconds left in the game to take it to over time! Woo! One more game and we'll have our fifth straight gold medal at the WJHC!

verenita 01-05-2009 10:39 AM

i adore this place, i really do! one of the best moments of my day is come here and read your posts and see what you guys are doing. you make me smile every day. i simply love to be an eskimo friend, and i bet i´m not alone with this feeling :smiley31:.
:icon_pray so, thank you guys... each, much thanks! :icon_pray

Cerque 01-05-2009 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verenita (Post 342536)
i adore this place, i really do! one of the best moments of my day is come here and read your posts and see what you guys are doing. you make me smile every day. i simply love to be an eskimo friend, and i bet i´m not alone with this feeling :smiley31:.
:icon_pray so, thank you guys... each, much thanks! :icon_pray

The feeling is mutual :icon_pray

Swedish Professor 01-05-2009 01:33 PM

Today we will easily beat Srahmans Canada in the final and win our first gold for over 20 years. They almost lost against Russia and had to cheat with the clock to beat USA. We have crushed everyone so far including a 5-0 win against Russia, Go Sweden!! :)

PS. Srahman, if we somehow will lose, go easy on me. :)

Cerque 01-05-2009 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swedish Professor (Post 342543)
Today we will easily beat Srahmans Canada in the final and win our first gold for over 20 years. They almost lost against Russia and had to cheat with the clock to beat USA. We have crushed everyone so far including a 5-0 win against Russia, Go Sweden!! :)

PS. Srahman, if we somehow will lose, go easy on me. :)

I am always happy when Sweden beats Russia. :smiley16:

mariaoran 01-05-2009 09:43 PM

this made me smile: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7811686.stm Cute kids! :)

Rai 01-05-2009 09:56 PM

Going over to my favourite woo-themed site and reading a loong thread about bigfoot, which had the most hilarious argument going on between a couple of sensible and rather sarcastic guys and a bat**** crazy one, it is just so absolutely hilarious. And, on a link in the thread, I found the greatest sentence of the year:

"Obviously, the invisible Sasquatch theory lends no further scientific credibility to the existence of the hidden man-ape."

Yetzirah 01-06-2009 02:04 PM

i'm looking forward to meeting up with some people from my sign language course tonight! it's gonna be fun especially since we'll be trying to converse a bit in sign language. hehe
and i'm looking forward to it as well because it'll distract me a bit from the stupid exam i have on friday.

Cali 01-06-2009 06:03 PM

purrito

http://easycaptures.com/fs/uploaded/...83040532_b.jpg

Devushka 01-06-2009 06:07 PM

what made me smile? ... knowing that Damo is coming to town!!!!
it didnt make me smile actually.. it made my cry of joy!! :D

Cerque 01-06-2009 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yetzirah (Post 342617)
i'm looking forward to meeting up with some people from my sign language course tonight! it's gonna be fun especially since we'll be trying to converse a bit in sign language. hehe
and i'm looking forward to it as well because it'll distract me a bit from the stupid exam i have on friday.

my exams finished 3 weeks ago before holidays. I have 5 weeks holidays! Man I lovew the Irish education system!

Yetzirah 01-06-2009 09:45 PM

yeah, i know how it works up there. we've got christmas holidays which could be nice if we hadn't exams in the last two weeks of january... if you're someone that takes his/her studies seriously you don't have much of a holiday then... ah, well... i'm more that kinda person that takes one or two days off and then another one and another one and then this happens and then that and in the end i get all panicky. not always but i'm really good at it. i'm trying to get better, though... i don't know if i'll ever manage...

:smiley4: i like the cat burrito :smiley4: