The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien Rice (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   new song (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11075)

bob dylan 08-12-2006 03:11 PM

new song

i don't know if this was here before

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH6JSIDchDU

Five Leaves Left 08-12-2006 03:23 PM

awesome video, good post. thanks

audity 08-12-2006 03:24 PM

I really don't like this new song (dubbed 'the chimney song' by some and 'the coconut skins song' by others)... :crybaby2:
If this is what the new album is gonna sound like, I won't be the happiest bloke in the world.

Bumpman 08-12-2006 04:19 PM

I wouldn't say it's a sure bet for the next album though, i'd say there's a 50/50 chance that it'll be on it, if even that.

Spamlet 08-12-2006 04:36 PM

Welcome, BD.

It was posted before but since it's one of the best shot videos from the recent tour it deserves a wider audience.

Audity,

What specifically do you dislike about it? I think it's catchy as Hell, quite rockin' and has some of his most whip-smart, trademark cynical lyrics as opposed to the uninspired recent new tune "She..." which had none of these qualities.

Every singer/songwriter's gotta have their Dylanesque tribute. "You Can" is Damo's and it's a damned fine one. Actually I'm amazed at how closely it musically resembles "Dylansong" a song I wrote ten years ago about his Royal Bob-ness.

Bumpman 08-12-2006 05:23 PM

That may be exactly the point though, while it's a great idea for a song, it's exactly the kind of song that every other singer-songwriter seems to produce on a regular basis. The nice thing about damo was always the seperation he has from other acts, having quite a defined sound to his music. I just feel like I've heard that song from a hundred other people already.

Timeé 08-12-2006 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spamlet
"You Can" is Damo's and it's a damned fine one.

i think you inadvertedly admitted that cocunut skins was in the song.

admit it now.

i think it should be called "cocunut skins".

no damien rice song is gonna be called "you can" i mean for chrísts sake

MacrossGirl 08-13-2006 04:29 AM

I love Damiens cocunut skins!!
Um, oops.. that should read I love the cocunut skins song!!

hehe

Gatsby 08-13-2006 02:35 PM

i like the song. i agree it doesnt have many layers and is a typical 2 chord based singer songwriter song. but he still pulls it off better than most

Ashley 08-13-2006 02:54 PM

I really enjoy this song. Its a great sing-along song, I think, and I bet there's a lot one could do with it. nice video here too

Spamlet 08-13-2006 05:58 PM

Tim,

Do try to keep up. :smiley6: There are numerous threads over the last 6 months since I first heard it where I recognized it was "coconut skins" he was saying in the song.

The phrase "You can..." begins every single section and serves as the lyrical throughline so I say it's just as valid a possible title as "Chimneys" or "Coconut Skins". It's also textbook "Damo defies expectations" since the phrase is used ironically (disparagingly rather than in an inspirational or motivational manner).

Like I said guys,

Every songwriter's gotta have "A" song like that. It's a way of honoring the great folk tradition. Just like we all write at least one blues song. I seriously doubt we have to worry that the new album will sound like that one tune.

SisterMidnight 08-13-2006 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spamlet
The phrase "You can..." begins every single section and serves as the lyrical throughline so I say it's just as valid a possible title as "Chimneys" or "Coconut Skins"

no it's not.. that's a ridiculous title :smiley22:

i say we put it to a vote (i vote coconut skins btw)

in fact i think we should name all the new songs, it's difficult discussing a song without a title, you always have to quote lyric fragments or say where it was performed blah blah blah so people know what you're talking about..

i mean it's not like we haven't named songs before (rootless tree for example) that were never given official titles just for ease of reference..

i still want to know what the deal is with the coconut skins tho :smiley24: i'm not mad for the music/melody but i like the lyrics in the song..

Timeé 08-13-2006 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterMidnight
no it's not.. that's a ridiculous title :smiley22:

i say we put it to a vote (i vote coconut skins btw)

in fact i think we should name all the new songs, it's difficult discussing a song without a title, you always have to quote lyric fragments or say where it was performed blah blah blah so people know what you're talking about..

i mean it's not like we haven't named songs before (rootless tree for example) that were never given official titles just for ease of reference..

i still want to know what the deal is with the coconut skins tho :smiley24: i'm not mad for the music/melody but i like the lyrics in the song..

everything she said!!! i love that sister :love7:

breadfan35 08-14-2006 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revelate
i like the song. i agree it doesnt have many layers and is a typical 2 chord based singer songwriter song. but he still pulls it off better than most

My thougths exactly. I like the song.

Spamlet 08-14-2006 04:49 AM

OK,

What kind of world do we live in where "Coconut Skins" is considered a less ridiculous title than "You Can"? :smiley26:

Besides which,

Our dude has a long history of bizarre titles.

Exhibits A-J:

Accidental Babies
Child, Man, Silly Dog
The Girl Who Does Yoga
Me, My Yoke and I
Moody Mooday
My City ****ty
Rule No. 2 Y-Junction
Sex Change
Steal a Mule
and, of course,
9 Crimes (where the Hell are crimes 1-8?)