The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Everything Else (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Top MP3 Player!! (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15510)

Valentino 02-18-2008 02:21 AM

Top MP3 Player!!

Hey guys, I've finally decided to purchase a portable MP3 player as opposed to always burning things to CD. With that in mind, besides the iPOD, what brand and model of MP3 player would you recommend?

I actually found this one from RCA @ Wal-Mart and it seems pretty solid:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...00000003142050

It's got 1 gb storage capacity with included MicroSD memory card slot for upgrading your memory, a digital voice recorder with built in mic, and a colorscreen as well. I'm trying to see what else is out there and would love to know what you guys have worked with. Thanks!

dboyd 02-18-2008 02:48 AM

stay away from walmart... that's all i'll say about that... heh

Ipod is the best thing for taking your music where ever u go in my mind. Most storage, easy to use, light, and they get smaller and smaller, and hold more and more information.

Cali 02-18-2008 03:35 AM

I have a iPod and I hate it--i bought it coz i need the space. but it's buggy (the new classic is), the interface is horrible and there's no room for customization, they have almost no features, and the worst of all: itunes; but ... to each his own.

I'm a fan of the Cowon/iAudio brand, their mp3s are easy to use and have tons of features without the need to buy anything else, they're very sturdy and last forever. they're more expensive than the generic brands but imho they're worth evey penny. but if you don't want to spend a lot of money, ebay's your friend

cille 02-18-2008 06:56 AM

Just make sure you listen before you buy, cause there's supposed to a great difference in sound quality on the market. I'm also tired of my Ipod photo (which btw died last week, not even 3 years old!) but if you change the cardboard earphones that comes with it, the sound is usually great on ipods.

Cali 02-18-2008 07:05 AM

cille, if you're gonna get a new ipod, do your reserch coz i read that the new ones (6 gen) have a different chip and they sound worse than previous versions.

borneoman 02-18-2008 08:17 AM

I actually got that RCA one and it works very well!!! Actually, I bought mine at Circuit City and think it was cheaper...

It's not as fancy as an I-pod, cannot organize things that well, but after having something like 5-ipods in 2 years with an average lifetime of 3 months I decided to go for something else...

cille 02-18-2008 08:31 AM

^^I have no money so I'm not exactly in the market at the moment :(
What i heard is that the new ipods (nano and touch) have a more stable system, cause it's flash memory based instead of harddisk based; hadn't heard that it sounds worse, that's worth considering for sure, cause I was sort of thinking of getting one once the storage space covers my needs (40+ G).
I might just not wanna get an ipod next time though! I certainly expected it to last more than 2½ years :'(

Valentino 02-18-2008 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borneoman
I actually got that RCA one and it works very well!!! Actually, I bought mine at Circuit City and think it was cheaper...

It's not as fancy as an I-pod, cannot organize things that well, but after having something like 5-ipods in 2 years with an average lifetime of 3 months I decided to go for something else...

That's cool cuz I just bought one and if it's cheaper at Circuit City then I might have to check them out after I return this one (if it's still cheaper of course). But yeah, so far the sound quality is great and I would also NOT recommend using those little ear buds or whatever they're called. You know, the cheap little headphones that come with just about every MP3 player. They have a very low tolerance for high volume and if you like to crank your MP3 player up then I would highly recommend getting a pair of regular headphones, a jack converter, and then using these instead. This is mainly because the ear buds can start to distort and this is REALLY REALLY bad for your ears since they're only an inch away from your ear drum!

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! I don't know what I'd do if I could never hear Damien's voice the same!!

.em. 02-19-2008 06:55 AM

I really like my Creative Microphoto. I haven't had any major problems, and it has a lot of neat/useful features to it. And you can buy refurbished Creative p3 players at their website for pretty cheap. ^__^

For comparing mp3 players, I highly recommend CNET.com.