The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien's Gigs (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Damien & band @ TBMC last night! (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7153)

eskimo_friendly 01-06-2005 11:08 PM

Okay so who was at the gig last night? Didn't it rock like hell??!

It was so loud and rocky and a lot less calm than usual.

Did I mention it rocked??

Not as good as Vicar Street, December '03, but still amazingly fantastic!

Edited by: eskimo_friendly

Wheels 01-06-2005 11:19 PM

Was it the full band? and special guests?

Grace 01-06-2005 11:22 PM

full band. no special guests... was sooo amazing!! i was just like- whoa! wow

Miss Pink 01-06-2005 11:31 PM

i'll post abt it later i just have lost my profile and all my documents and every thing are missing im so screwed

rileyf 01-06-2005 11:35 PM

setlist?

#Ian# 01-06-2005 11:55 PM

Set List, in kind of the right order, I'm sure someone will post the correct order:

Delicate (opener definately)
The Professor (with Lisa singing the second verse)
Older Chests
I remember
Cheers Darling
Cannonball
Vibrate (Vyvienne covering Rufus Wainwright; I called out for it, she obliged [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img], Vyv is great)
Me, My Yoke and I
Closer -> Volcano -> When Doves Cry (Prince Cover)-> Babe I'm gonna leave you (Led Zep cover)-> Be My Husband (Loads of people cover, most notably Nina Simone)
BD Part 2 -> BD
Cold Water (Closing song)

There may be other stuff, "->" indicates that it was part of a medley.

One song that I had never heard before; "Closer", played with a telecaster (along with Me, My Yoke... and the start of Volcano before he switched to the Acoustic), I hope it's a grower becasue to be honest it sounded a little pedestrian to me.

All in all it was a really good night and myown quick calculations indicate that they raised at least €18,000.

I was standing in the second row of people from the front just left of Vyvienne.She was smiling and giggling the whole way through; seemed to be really enjoying herself. Right at the end some girls in front of me asked her for her towel and she lobbed it over to them before asking for it back, dabbing her forehead with it and returning it to them, it was all very "Elvis in Hawaii" [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

Miss Pink 01-06-2005 11:59 PM

i more that likely saw you there! I was dnacing away with wee angel! it was great! Ian just tell me what kind of hair do you have? and i'll no if that was you! lol

Oh and do u no anything abt computers?

#Ian# 01-07-2005 12:13 AM

Well I do have a degree in computer science.

My hair = brown and messy parted at the side with a fringe, when my sister tries to annoy me she compares it to Brian McFadden's. I'm also 6'3'' and thus miles taller than nearly everyone around me except for the dreadlocked guy beside me.

niallo 01-07-2005 12:14 AM

[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

Lemonhead 01-07-2005 12:15 AM

elvis![img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]hey, that sounds great!! what do ya mean by it sounding pedestrian?!!

Grace 01-07-2005 12:20 AM

it was soooooo gr8! id be completely bowled over if anyone didnt enjoy it

Gatsby 01-07-2005 12:46 AM

i have to say i was extremely impressed tonight.. one of damiens best gigs in a long while... his guitar wank impressed me but then again some went on to long.. all together he had a great set and i loved the medley of volcano --> when doves cry --> babe im gonna leave you... i was up in the balcony still shocked at how many people the music centre could hold!! im used to 30 people chilled out watching a gig but good to see a great music venue having a great artist perform... i was standing beside a journalist who kept asking me names of songs... at which point i asked her why is she reviewing it as she hadnt a clue of damien rice... bah! inteferance (sp) where very good.. pity about the amount of people talking through their songs but the guy has a brilliant voice... someone turned around to me during the middle of damiens gig and asked "why doesnt he talk... its pretty rude"my conclusion is... it wasnt his night... he doesntneed to talk or promote himself... thats why i loved tonight.. people didnt talk (from what i heard) and allowed him to improvise and play some songs that we may not have heard before... all in all i think its probably one of his best shows... you can tell the guy has toured... but you can also tell he still loves his music[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]Edited by: Jeweller

Loveless 01-07-2005 12:55 AM

Edited by: Loveless

Loveless 01-07-2005 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeweller
Inteferance (sp) where very good.. pity about the amount of people talking through their songs but the guy has a brilliant voice...

Interference were also playing there last night??
god damn!.

SilentNight 01-07-2005 12:57 AM

[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img] glad you guys had fun, i wish i was there[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Edited by: SilentNight

#Ian# 01-07-2005 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemonhead
elvis![img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]hey, that sounds great!! what do ya mean by it sounding pedestrian?!!

I just didn't think that it was very good, kind of middle of the road rock song with very little to distinguish it. But quite often I don't like stuff when I first hear it, I'm doing a major backtrack on my dismissal of Devandra Banheart at the moment and Angela, I might be forced to admit that you may have been kind of right about Rufus.

By the way, I asked him about it afterwards, the songs name is definately "Closer" wasn't just making it up becasue the word featured in the lyrics.

I agree with Jeweller.

jimarick 01-07-2005 01:58 AM

OMG

I remember was great.

Angela 01-07-2005 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #Ian#
I'm doing a major backtrack on my dismissal of Devandra Banheart at the moment and Angela, I might be forced to admit that you may have been kind of right about Rufus.

I'll let it go gracefully. You have a good ear - I knew you'd come around. [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]And am I jealous you heard Vyvian do Vibrate!

milky 01-07-2005 07:47 AM

yeah gig was great alot of smiling done by vyvienne,lisa and tomo and i think they were kinda of wondering what damien was going to do next.

i remember was great and i loved the medley with prince's and led zeplin's covers

it really did rock[img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]fair play to damien and the band and interference and all those involved

Mundy 01-07-2005 09:12 AM

You have it right ! It did rock. I thought Blowers Daughter II was great. Also i remember was fantastic. Over all an amazing gig. Was so lucky to be there !

milky 01-07-2005 09:22 AM

welcome mundy!

mari 01-07-2005 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mundy
You have it right ! It did rock. I thought Blowers Daughter II was great. Also i remember was fantastic. Over all an amazing gig. Was so lucky to be there !

It must have been a brilliant evening, I wish I had been there, too!And welcome Mundy!

*Killian* 01-07-2005 11:16 AM

i was there last night, what an excellent gig.might have seen some of you other eskimos there, but dont kno what y'all look like![img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]the crowd was great, very respectfull, no t**sers really [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

loved vyvians song, damien should really let her sing more often

damo was on top form,not too talkitive though,i've seen him play before but never like that, he really got into it,i'm in awe of the man! [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]
i thought lisa singing "be my husband" was great [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]and really like me, my yoke and i

only wish he played eskimo and prague, still fair to say, best gig i've ever been to [img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]

Jen de mighty 01-07-2005 11:32 AM

It was so fantastic! Again i probably saw of my fellow eskimos but as Killian said, i dont know what ya look like!! Cold Water was such a brilliant one to finish with. i was kinda hoping for Lonelily but still it was amazing. It completely blew me away. I met him after the gig and he was so nice - such a gentleman. He signed my ticket and then ppl noticed he was there and started taking loads of photos...it quite clearly must have been pretty annoying cos it was right up in his face but he just stood there and didnt complain like the wonderful guy that he is. Lisa was lovely too - so was Tomo. The whole gig was completely brilliant. Shame on you if you didnt make it!!! [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

**jebus** 01-07-2005 11:43 AM

Sounds like such an amazing gig!

im so jealous of u all!

Damien never seems to really introduce or talk about his songs, well
thats what I thought from the one gig ive been to!!But his songs really
don't need ne introducin, and I LOVE</span> the way u can request songs and he'll listen to what the crowd wants etc.

From the other threads id doesn't really sound like he'll be doin
another benifit gig, so i hope u guys really realise how lucky u wer to
see him!

*Killian* 01-07-2005 11:43 AM

if anybody saw me, i was the fella in the cream baggy combat pants things...and my navy snow patrol t-shirt wit big snowflake on it [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

i was in probly the 10th row of people, dead centre, straight in front of damo

Colbarr 01-07-2005 11:44 AM

Damn you all i wish i could have went. Were the doormen strict on id?

*Killian* 01-07-2005 11:45 AM

i didnt see anybody get asked for ID

Firefly 01-07-2005 12:05 PM

i saw you killian - i was admiring your snowpatrol t shirt all nite!!!!

*Killian* 01-07-2005 12:06 PM

oooh an who were you???