The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien Rice (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Damien Rice "O"- 115th greatest album of all time (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11021)

Five Leaves Left 08-03-2006 03:53 AM

Damien Rice "O"- 115th greatest album of all time

according to WXPN (philadelphia non-commercial fm radio station)

complete list of the 885 greatest albums of all time: http://www.xpn.org/885ATGA.php

Dangana 08-03-2006 06:28 AM

Why do the Beatles got to be on the top of every list?

soda 08-03-2006 07:24 AM

i've heard about that band, they are pretty good, you should check them out :P

Uno- X 08-03-2006 10:38 AM

143 AC/DC | Back In Black 1980 WTF????

Bumpman 08-03-2006 11:47 AM

Thank god this is here to inform me that 'August and Everything After' is a better album then 'Grace' and 'Appetite for Destruction' is better then 'The Velvet Underground and Nico'. When will these people actually learn that counting up votes only represents the amount of people who have had a musical concept successfully marketed towards them. I absolutely refuse to believe that Steely Dan have an album that's better then 'Nevermind', who do these people think they're fooling?

On the plus side they have some interesting names attached to top ten lists at the end of the page... Gang of Four are a good thing.

gbs3769 08-03-2006 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dangana
Why do the Beatles got to be on the top of every list?

Because they were amazing.

I always find those lists to be funny though. That listing for instance, has Dave Matthews Band - Before These Crowded Streets at number 94. Way behind both Crash and Under the Table and Dreaming. BTCS is without a doubt their best album so it is peculiar to see that.

- Matt

Bumpman 08-03-2006 02:41 PM

I think everyone could understand The Beatles having made some of the best music of all time, but these people maintain that out of the ten best record's ever made, five of those are from the Beatles. These polls are always the same though, and yet every one of them seems to be hugely popular, they all pretty much say the same thing though... "The Beatles, Dylan and The Stones are great, so are other people."

JBTongue 08-03-2006 02:57 PM

MTV always used to do the top 100 videos ever etc. Somehow Nirvana-Smells Like Teen Spirit was always number one.

Bumpman 08-03-2006 03:07 PM

Trying to cover up the fact that Nirvana hated them so much... I often wonder how they ever agreed to play that unplugged show.

emmy 08-03-2006 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpman
Trying to cover up the fact that Nirvana hated them so much... I often wonder how they ever agreed to play that unplugged show.

But thank god they did - that unplugged show was probably the best one ever! I miss "Unplugged"!

Bumpman 08-03-2006 07:00 PM

Yeah, it was a really great idea... I think they still do them sometimes, I have a Queens Of The Stone Age one.

audity 08-04-2006 01:35 AM

Coldplay's A Rush of Blood above Damien's O? That's simply not right.
:icon_ramb

AL-X 08-06-2006 11:54 PM

hmm..

There's always controversy when someone makes a top 100 or 500 or whatever album list. You really can't win with these lists because there's so many influential albums in so many different genres. Looking at the first couple hundred albums on this list, it generally seems to focus heavily on rock music (like I'm not saying I'm a fan of rap or anything, but can you really make a top album list without having an Eminem album at least in the top 50? There's no denying his influence on the rap genre). And what makes an album "great"? Is it popularity? Critical success? Acclaim from fellow artists? But on a positive note, I'm glad to see "O" getting some recognition.

Bumpman 08-07-2006 12:07 AM

I suppose there's any number of things that make albums great, not just the influence that they've had, or the amount of copies they sell. It's a silly notion though, that there even could be a list where "greatness" could be weighed and measured, any real music lover will tell you that different music appeals to you at different times, and that records have to be measured on their own terms.

That list just makes me imagine a list of the best songs of all time being put on a two cd set, and sixty million plebs going out to buy it, thinking that they've just bought the very best that music has to offer. It's that whole iPod culture that seems to fascinate people at the minute. Getting one or two songs from a list of great bands, and calling yourself an afficianado...

brookefield 08-07-2006 05:05 AM

^ brilliant.

Ranting Thespian 08-07-2006 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audity
Coldplay's A Rush of Blood above Damien's O? That's simply not right.
:icon_ramb

I love damien and all, but I think Rush of Blood to the Head has so much more depth. Damien's O is great, but it tends to focus around the same subjects. Either love, yearning for a broken love, or death. I just think Rush of Blood to the Head just packs a bigger punch. But then again, Coldplay's first album was only ok, nothing too special. Let's see how Damien's second album is like before we compare him to Rush of Blood to the head.

I also think Steely Dan is better than Nirvana. I am not a huge Nirvana fan . . . I actualy like the foo fighters more *waits to be clubed* .

. . . but how DARE they put John's Imagine at 305!

MacrossGirl 08-10-2006 10:40 PM

Bumpman: GREAT avi pic!! WOOT!

I think thats great Damien got that number, as so many people are just hearing about him it seems. Know what I mean?