The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien Rice (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Damo’s whereabouts (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4894)

ronan 07-15-2004 06:00 PM

At the moment Damo is in Burma (is that spelt right?) on a months break he's in a retreat with no electricity or running water, according to fm104 his record company wanted him to stay here and build on the fact that he has his best ever chart position in england but Damo was having none of it!

sonofelvis 07-15-2004 06:03 PM

well i wouldnt give up my vacation time either if i was him??

would you??

mestonf 07-15-2004 06:19 PM

nope certainly wouldn't !

LostCause 07-15-2004 06:26 PM

He really need a vacation now!! God he must be tired.. No electricity and water sound like a place Damien really likes doesnt it??

mestonf 07-15-2004 06:27 PM

yep thats damo all over....... a holiday is much needed time off for him

celia 07-15-2004 06:37 PM

yeah I just heard this on Virgin Radio - he's on Virgins most wanted and the DJ just said that Damo has dissapeared...

wowthis place sounds amazing, I would love to be there right now.

Good for Damien.

jayavo 07-15-2004 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronan
... his record company wanted him to stay here and build on the fact that he has his best ever chart position in england but Damo was having none of it!

live for yourself, you will be happy.

live for others, they will be happy.

jason

"I swear by my life and my love of it; that i will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

celia 07-15-2004 06:51 PM

Those are such true quotes! I wish I could be more like that sometimes...

Donsie B! 07-15-2004 06:54 PM

whats damo doin out in burma?!

Donsie B! 07-15-2004 06:55 PM

oh...on retreat...from what?! his adorin eskimo followers?!

celia 07-15-2004 06:55 PM

sitting in the dark, walking miles for water it seems [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Donsie B! 07-15-2004 06:56 PM

.........dis thread has got me playin burma shave my tom waits! d band wit him?

Andrew 07-15-2004 07:28 PM

Burma eh? The homeland of Nick Drake.

jayavo 07-15-2004 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by celia
Those are such true quotes! I wish I could be more like that sometimes...

if you like the quotes, read atlas shrugged by ayn rand. or fountainhead, same author. both are quite long over 800 pages but it spells it out pretty good and i am really aware of it now. never been happier. i really dont like preaching but i feel so many people are unhappy because of all the contradictory ways society expects us to behave. it doesnt have to be that way. you just gotta recognize it and get rid of the guilt and fear. i read em back to back and i will never be the same.

i should probably say i dont agree withher on everything, but with regards to how people interact and her thoughts on shame and guilt, i think shes spot on.

i know its off topic and wouldve used a private message, but feel this apply to many........

jason

Just as life is an end in itself, so every living human being is an end in himself, not the means to the ends or the welfare of others - and, therefore, man must live for his own sake, neither sacrificing himself to others nor sacrificing others to himself.

-ayn randEdited by: jayavo

Soleillily 07-15-2004 08:22 PM

I absolutely loved The Fountainhead...it's one of my favorite books.I couldn't put it down asI was reading it. It opened my mind as well. I guess I never related it but Damienis a bit like Roark. Maybe more than a bit...does the things that he wants to do/love and not what others want him to do. Very cool... Edited by: Soleillily

cille 07-15-2004 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayavo

live for others, they will be happy.

jason

actually, you might not even keep others happy like that, believe me![img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]lose-lose situ. not worth it (and still i do it over and over again. damned old pattern)

jayavo 07-15-2004 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soleillily
I absolutely loved The Fountainhead...it's one of my favorite books.I couldn't put it down asI was reading it. It opened my mind as well. I guess I never related it but Damien but he is a bit like Roark. Maybe more than a bit...does the things that he wants to do/love and not what others want him to do. Very cool...

YES! thats it! he became roark after the whole problem with the music industry the first go round. never clicked before but it is obvious. even some of the complaints are the same type thrown at roark. haha. butas he says, hes happy now .

thanks

jason

"I think Irish people are terribly polite and dishonest in a way. We seem to grow up thinking you have to treat people in a way which doesn't displease them. I have done so much of that. There are so many times when I've gone out of my way to please people, but I've realised that if it's something I really don't want to do, it causes more problems down the line. If there's something I know I'm not going to like, I've learnt that it's better to say no now."

-d.rice http://www.eskimofriends.com/interviews.asp?it2=yes

cille 07-15-2004 08:47 PM

Quote:

i know its off topic and wouldve used a private message, but feel this apply to many........

dont worry too much on getting off topic, jayavo - mind you, you didn't start chatting about totally irrelevant personal trivialities. from what i've read from you, you don't have to worry of getting off topic, cause what you get off topic with is a great contribution, not trivial stuff.[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

jayavo 07-15-2004 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cillecille
...(and still i do it over and over again. damned old pattern)

thats what these books did for me. helped me recognize it and now im able to avoid it. its tough. you have to stay aware. but its an incredible, uplifting thing.

actually what ishmael and story of B did for my outlook on a global scale, these did the same on an inner journey kinda way.

alright, im gone for the weekend. no more hijacked threads from me [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

peace

jason

"There's a kind of festival I would like to do, but I'm waiting for the right location and vibe to come along. I would like to have slightly hippie vibe to it. It would consist of really good food, being able to stay up all night, being able to light fires, playing music all night, playing bongos all night, having the kind of musicians who are not just crowd pullers but who are so passionate about their music. It's not a commercial festival, there's no advertising or sponsorship, it's not about making a profit. Those who play are paid well, those who come to see the festival are treated well and get to really enjoy themselves. A festival with a real free vibe."

jayavo 07-15-2004 08:54 PM

Quote:

dont worry too much on getting off topic, jayavo - mind you, you didn't start chatting about totally irrelevant personal trivialities. from what i've read from you, you don't have to worry of getting off topic, cause what you get off topic with is a great contribution, not trivial stuff.[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

[img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]

a quick thanks. and now i take my leave......

jason

'bye, bye, bye'

-some lame boy band

cille 07-16-2004 08:16 AM

Quote:

"There's a kind of festival I would like to do, but I'm waiting for the right location and vibe to come along. I would like to have slightly hippie vibe to it. It would consist of really good food, being able to stay up all night, being able to light fires, playing music all night, playing bongos all night, having the kind of musicians who are not just crowd pullers but who are so passionate about their music. It's not a commercial festival, there's no advertising or sponsorship, it's not about making a profit. (...)"

that's christiania here in copenhagen, denmark. it's not a festival but a part of the city. festival hippie feel all year round.

is it a quote from someone else, jason?

Banjaxed 07-16-2004 08:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

"There's a kind of festival I would like to do, but I'm waiting for the right location and vibe to come along. I would like to have slightly hippie vibe to it. It would consist of really good food, being able to stay up all night, being able to light fires, playing music all night, playing bongos all night, having the kind of musicians who are not just crowd pullers but who are so passionate about their music. It's not a commercial festival, there's no advertising or sponsorship, it's not about making a profit. (...)"

is it a quote from someone else, jason?

shame on you cille... it's a quote from damien!

cille 07-16-2004 08:23 AM

jeez, i just revealed that i don't read many of his interviews [img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]i am not a true follower. indeed,shame on me![img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]

damo has actually played in christiania... maybe he got inspired?

#Ian# 07-16-2004 09:33 AM

Maybe its just me, but where Damien is at the moment...

sounds a bit sh*t.

Uno- X 07-16-2004 09:36 AM

indeedy ian.

Banjaxed 07-16-2004 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #Ian#

sounds a bit sh*t.

i've been to that part of the world (altho not Burma) and had the best time of my life. went for 6 weeks, stayed for a year.

Angela 07-16-2004 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #Ian#

sounds a bit sh*t.

Huh? [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]Wadda 'ya mean? I wish I was there!

Rain 07-16-2004 05:36 PM

No electricity, I can deal with. No running water??? [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]Bleurgh. Oh God. No baths norproper toilet systems. I won't want to be there, even if Damien is. [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

Diarmo 07-16-2004 05:43 PM

No electricity........ No running water........ No baths............no proper toilet systems! Sounds like my house!

cille 07-16-2004 07:11 PM

burma is an oppressive military dictatorship, isn't it? who is slaughtering it's own population in the jungle, oppressing the freedom of speach, etc etc etc. beats me why damien would wanna go there. to demonstrate with Aung San Su Kyi? (sp?)