The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien Rice (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Tomo, Lisa and co at the Olympia (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8220)

#Ian# 04-23-2005 03:02 AM

Tomo, Lisa and co at the Olympia

So I headed down early tonight to check out Daisy Okell. Have to say I was quite impressed. I had kind of expected them to pick a few obvious songs and base the set around that but there was no sugar being put in anyone's bowl tonight, in fact if they performed any Nina Simone or Billy Holiday stuff I don't know the songs, which was nice.

Thay played about 7 songs, only 2 of which I know, "Poses" by Rufus Wainwright and it was wonderful, the other one I knew was a cover of Bill Withers' "Grandma's hands" it's a song that I really like and I dunno, I enjoyed it tonight but right now I'm listening to Bill Withers Live at Carnegie Hall, I got in and felt that I needed to hear the "real" version. But if any of the quartet happen to read this and they want to continue with Withers I've got 4 words ... "Hope she'll be happier".

A couple of minor quibbles, if they're a jazz band (and they've got the setup to be one) I want to see more two and a half minute double bass solos, and they should cut out that 4/4 bull****. :p

cille 04-23-2005 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #Ian#
Bill Withers' "Grandma's hands" it's a song that I really like and I dunno, I enjoyed it tonight but right now I'm listening to Bill Withers Live at Carnegie Hall, I got in and felt that I needed to hear the "real" version. But if any of the quartet happen to read this and they want to continue with Withers I've got 4 words ... "Hope she'll be happier".

huh??? could you explain cause this foreigner didn't get it and would love to.

Closing_Doors 04-23-2005 09:32 AM

I think the first song was the one they recorded with Herbie Hancock, "Don't Explain".

Wheels 04-23-2005 11:18 AM

Any recordings? photos?

#Ian# 04-23-2005 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cille
huh??? could you explain cause this foreigner didn't get it and would love to.

"Hope she'll be happier" is my favourite Withers song.

#Ian# 04-23-2005 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheels
Any recordings? photos?

Damien was videotaping it.

Wheels 04-23-2005 12:44 PM

Quote:

But will he share that with us? Someone tell him he should :smiley4: it might just take our minds of... "other things"...:smiley2: :smiley36:

cille 04-23-2005 01:08 PM

^:smiley36: sounds like a pretty good deal for you, damien - go for it!

Quote:

"Hope she'll be happier" is my favourite Withers song.

ah ok, thanks :) i was wondering if you thought lisa seemed sad or summin:D

SilentNight 04-23-2005 01:52 PM

yeah it was confusing for us less knowledged ones:D. i definitely like to hear more from Lisa, hope she's getting better and better:).

SisterMidnight 04-23-2005 07:57 PM

Quote:

cool

Sniffer 04-24-2005 09:44 AM

Quote:

S

A couple of minor quibbles, if they're a jazz band (and they've got the setup to be one) I want to see more two and a half minute double bass solos, and they should cut out that 4/4 bull****. :p

Seriously?

Other than "Don't Explain" and the third song "Fodder on her Wings"(which was in 3/4 time, by the way) they weren't playing jazz tunes. They tackled a song by The Band, Rufus and Bill Withers- not usually thought of as jazzers. I would have been rather bored by 2 minute bass solos especially in a 30 minute set. I thought they were great and Lisa, as always, was glowing. I met Tomo and the bass player, Dave, afterwards and they were so friendly. My only quibble is that I couldn't hear the background singer very well. Sure hope they do some shows and recording of their own. I bet they can get an album out before Damo......

#Ian# 04-24-2005 05:49 PM

No, not seriously, hence the sticky out tongue thing.

Sniffer 04-24-2005 07:13 PM

Quote:

No, not seriously, hence the sticky out tongue thing.

Ah....missed the tongue thingy. They should have a sticky for one firmly planted in cheek.