The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien Rice (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Damien Rice Lisa Hannigan - Get This Party Started (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15485)

Shahar 02-08-2008 03:03 PM

Damien Rice Lisa Hannigan - Get This Party Started

I found out this song somewhere, and I made a video for it, nice cover :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bnJSTHCZcI

Wheels 02-08-2008 04:26 PM

Yeah I love the sound of Lisa's voice in this song... I remember suggesting to her that she do a similar cover of Christina Aguilera's 'Dirty'... she didn't seem too impressed :(

Shahar 02-08-2008 05:14 PM

She have a perfect voice, She makes me shudder everytime I hear her.

A2_Blue 02-08-2008 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahar

To be quite honest... hearing this has made me lose a little bit of respect for both Lisa and Damien.

Ultra-pop songs like the original of this song and others are the reason why I think music has gone in the ****ter lately. Then I discover Damien and fall back in love with music and songwriting. And now I hear this?!

Now, the cover itself isn't half bad. However, shouldn't only great songs deserve to be covered? Frankly, knowing Damien's opinion of new-mainstream-pop-music, I am very suprised that he would agree to play that garbage Pink calls music. :icon_thum

srahman24 02-08-2008 05:54 PM

Well, A2_Blue, if it matters - the song was covered for charity at first.

It was called "Even Better Than The Real Thing", so it's pretty fitting that they picked mainstream-pop songs instead of more classic things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Even_Be...l_Thing_Vol._1

In my opinion, all three albums were fantastic!

A2_Blue 02-08-2008 06:32 PM

I suppose that makes it easier to stomach... if it's for charity.

babyeskimo 02-08-2008 06:46 PM

Well to be honest I never thought much of this song before I heard this, and although it isn't a great song with great lyrics, I love Lisa and Damien's version of it and listen to it a lot. I think the way they have totally transformed this mediocre popsong into a classy bluesy little tune just shows how talented they both are, and I really think Lisa's vocals shine on this track. And like others have mentioned, it was for charity - and it absolutely miles better than the real thing!

Closing_Doors 02-08-2008 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A2_Blue
To be quite honest... hearing this has made me lose a little bit of respect for both Lisa and Damien.

Jesus, get over yourself. It's only a bit of craic. And as was said, for charity too.

dboyd 02-08-2008 08:26 PM

hmmm never heard this before! heh.. fairly interesting.. i hate pink, but they manage to make the song somewhat good... haha.. it definitely doesn't fit them tho, just comparing to their own stuff and other covers and stuff, it isn't a good match (this cover). But hey, interesting! :D thanks for sharing!

btw, one little song they do might be something u don't like, but it's never a good reason to change your views on them. It's ok to not like some things they might do.

cheers

mariaoran 02-08-2008 09:15 PM

Quote:

Really???? I think they sound fantastic, especially Lisa! :) And they gave this kinda crappy song a nice twist!!!! You should hear Glen covering cry me a river. Its quite nice as well !!!!!

Rai 02-08-2008 10:11 PM

Its just for fun for god's sake. Why couldn't they sing bloody anything they want to if it sounds this good. The Frames' version of Britney's Everytime simply rocks. The quality of a piece of art only depends on the performer (or creator). The 'Lady with an Ermine' is basically just a floozie with a white rat, what da Vinci did with it makes it the wonder it is.

And music hasn't got any ****ter lately, its been just as bad for a few hundred years now. But most of the foul stuff is rightly forgotten.

A2_Blue 02-08-2008 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Closing_Doors
Jesus, get over yourself. It's only a bit of craic. And as was said, for charity too.

Come on now, no need to get nasty. As previously mentioned, I did not know it was for charity. And this song (the original) drives me insane with how much radio play it gets. You can't escape the damn thing; not even while listening to Damien Rice! That is all I was saying. Do you live in the States? Do you listen to the Radio? If so... you should be able to empathize with me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariaoran
Really???? I think they sound fantastic, especially Lisa! :) And they gave this kinda crappy song a nice twist!!!! You should hear Glen covering cry me a river. Its quite nice as well !!!!!

I do think THEY sound fantastic... I just ignore the lame lyrics!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dboyd
btw, one little song they do might be something u don't like, but it's never a good reason to change your views on them. It's ok to not like some things they might do. cheers

Also... I only said i lost a "little" bit of respect before I knew it was for charity. And, any little bit of respect lost is immediately gained back whenever I listen to any of their other music.

STILL LOVE YOU DAMIEN AND LISA

Closing_Doors 02-08-2008 10:47 PM

Nothing nasty about it, there's just no need to take something so lighthearted so seriously.

A2_Blue 02-08-2008 10:51 PM

Quote:

Nothing nasty about it, there's just no need to take something so lighthearted so seriously.

True enough.

Shahar 02-08-2008 11:26 PM

Quote:

Ultra-pop songs like the original of this song and others are the reason why I think music has gone in the ****ter lately. Then I discover Damien and fall back in love with music and songwriting. And now I hear this?!

Now, the cover itself isn't half bad. However, shouldn't only great songs deserve to be covered? Frankly, knowing Damien's opinion of new-mainstream-pop-music, I am very suprised that he would agree to play that garbage Pink calls music. :icon_thum

I think that this is greatness of artist, to take such a bad song and making it into such a great song, with the brilliant voice of lisa, the second voice of Damo, and the acoustic guitar which is playing in the background it sounds so good.

Damien can make gold from straw, that's why I think he's genius.

dboyd 02-08-2008 11:30 PM

haha ya.. i think what blue said is been blown up into something bigger than it needs to be :P but just to point out that glen hansard did a cover of justin timberlakes cry me a river and it was awesome haha... if u haven't seen it youtube it, it's hilarious. It's music we love to hate, and when damo, lisa, glen, mar or someone else that we really like do a cover of a mainstream song, we tend to say why? wny not a different classic song? It's just a cover, nothing serious, Damien and Lisa made this song much better than the original, and i for one am not a fan of it, but i like it enough to not like it (does that make sense? lol)...

*breathe* cheers!

A2_Blue 02-09-2008 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dboyd
haha ya.. i think what blue said is been blown up into something bigger than it needs to be :P

Thank You! :icon_pray

Mark Hogan 02-09-2008 12:32 PM

Enjoyed it!

julia 02-09-2008 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahar

Oh Wow I just saw this video a few days ago while looking for New Video's of Damien.... Thought it was very sweet, lot's of Lisa pictures that I hadn't seen before...
I remember hearing this a couple years ago,, I like it!.. Not a fan of Pink but I thought Lisa and Damien made the song very Cool..
Cheers...

verenita 02-09-2008 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rai
The Frames' version of Britney's Everytime simply rocks.

i was goint to say that... such a beautiful piece of music... really.

for get this party... i have to confess, when i found the song, i wondered: what were they thinking?... but after i heard it, i thought how much talented they are to make this pop-song (i think we can´t forget about the prejudices we have, cause we know the real sound and the video of the song, and what can of music pink make, and bla, bla, bla) a really good song...

Closing_Doors 02-10-2008 01:57 PM

I can only hope you never hear Juniper's Cyberlove. I don't think you'd be able to take it. :D

A2_Blue 02-11-2008 12:36 AM

Quote:

I can only hope you never hear Juniper's Cyberlove. I don't think you'd be able to take it. :D

uh oh... i'm a big Juniper fan... dare I search for it?

Closing_Doors 02-11-2008 10:20 AM

Quote:

uh oh... i'm a big Juniper fan... dare I search for it?

Well you can gauge other people's reactions in this thread. I'm not sure if the link up there still works though.

krishna830 02-12-2008 06:51 AM

damnit the link doesnt work. the cover is really good! has anyone heard damien's cover of 'i still haven't found what i'm looking for' by u2?

Rai 02-12-2008 07:18 AM

^I have. Its slower than the original but its still quite neat. And my version transforms into Star Star then I Want You to Want Me and finally into Blower's Daughter. Nice bunch I say :D

esgii 02-12-2008 04:52 PM

actually ı like this song very much! ı don't like pink but this song from damien and lisa is very good! it is slower than original song but still great and enjoyable

verenita 02-12-2008 10:12 PM

Quote:

oh, now i´m curious about this song... as and someboy said, the link doesn´t work!

srahman24 02-13-2008 08:08 PM

About Juniper's Cyberlove... has anyone ever tried to write out the lyrics for this song?

It's kind of amazing in a horribly terrifying sort of way :icon_kidr