The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien Rice (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Ending Albums with Re-worked Versions of Cold Water (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17381)

mario_d 10-30-2014 11:06 PM

Ending Albums with Re-worked Versions of Cold Water

Is this Damien's thing now? Sleep Don't Weep and Long Long Way are both clearly extrapolations of Cold Water. I'm not the only one who finds this bizarre and interesting, right?

eskimo_friendly 10-30-2014 11:07 PM

I don't know why he does it, but if it is his thing then I guess there are much worse things he could be doing! :)

Shillelagh 10-31-2014 05:27 AM

Hadn't noticed it until you mentioned it but you're right. Very similar. Maybe he's winking at the camera a little. The album kinda seems like a message to Lisa. Could be a hidden Easter egg for her. Not now maybe later we will sing cold water again.

Still love the song. In all 3 incarnations.

glo32 10-31-2014 07:39 AM

Yeah I noticed that too, Long Long Way is very similar to Cold Water in some parts. I find that interesting, actually. It's like this is his own way to end albums...

borneoman 10-31-2014 08:44 AM

wasnīt Sleep Donīt Weep actually older than Cold Water? or did I dream that? :D

Shahar 10-31-2014 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mario_d (Post 377725)
Is this Damien's thing now? Sleep Don't Weep and Long Long Way are both clearly extrapolations of Cold Water. I'm not the only one who finds this bizarre and interesting, right?

I've just listend to long long way yesterday, and in the middle of the song I thought that it's a remix with cold water!

tessalasset 10-31-2014 10:44 PM

I actually love that LLW does that. I like to quietly sing Cold Water over it. It's beautiful.

Spamlet 11-02-2014 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borneoman (Post 377758)
wasnīt Sleep Donīt Weep actually older than Cold Water? or did I dream that? :D

You didn't dream it, Marti. Lisa, Tomo and Damo all confided in me after the Hiro show that S,DW was one of the very first songs they had as the band.

InspirationDestination 11-02-2014 03:38 PM

These long musical endings all seem to have spiritual connections, which he has indicated is/was a big thing for him. In Cold Water, at some performances, he did a Buddhist chant (which I don't think you're supposed to do as a performance, but he may not have known that). In Sleep Don't Weep he uses the meditation singing/healing bowl. At the end of It Takes A Lot..., it seems likes he's asking himself the 4 questions (from Byron Katie, whom he thanks on the album liner). His music is embedded with spirituality and healing. It's pretty profound stuff. More than just music!

Shillelagh 11-03-2014 08:58 AM

http://www.thework.com/thework-4questions.php

For those not familiar with Byron Katie's work.

InspirationDestination 11-03-2014 01:29 PM

Thanks for posting them!

FireDancer79 01-27-2016 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InspirationDestination (Post 377947)
These long musical endings all seem to have spiritual connections, which he has indicated is/was a big thing for him. In Cold Water, at some performances, he did a Buddhist chant (which I don't think you're supposed to do as a performance, but he may not have known that). In Sleep Don't Weep he uses the meditation singing/healing bowl. At the end of It Takes A Lot..., it seems likes he's asking himself the 4 questions (from Byron Katie, whom he thanks on the album liner). His music is embedded with spirituality and healing. It's pretty profound stuff. More than just music!

I totally agree :)

herbie25 02-06-2016 12:01 PM

When I first heard the interpolation of Cold Water in Long Long Way, I was taken aback. Absolutely stunning