The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien's Gigs (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How was it? (29th August Gig) (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11177)

Beevers_uk 08-29-2006 09:38 PM

How was it? (29th August Gig)

I know im being very eager here, (Eager Beaver - before anyone else says it [Henders :smiley17: ]) but how was it? Hope you had fun whoever went to it! :hello2: :icon_kidr

Greenmeanie 08-29-2006 09:53 PM

Very Eager! Probably still going on do you not think beevers? The two gigs I went to went on well past 11. Missed my train infact...

soda 08-29-2006 11:47 PM

Pretty good, but it was like listening to a cd player, looks like damo lost his funnyness, or was just not in the mood to chit chat. It was 1.5 hours of song after song with the first 'hello' after 45 mins or so. The songs sound great as ever, though I was hoping for some more interaction.
I'll put up some pics later.

god 08-29-2006 11:54 PM

Well I paid 90 EUR for a ticket at the door and my thoughts in hindsight are I would of paid double that. It was BRILLIANT.

I'm going TOUTING tomorrow night to buy another. If anyone out there has a spare ticket and can save a true diehard fan from waiting outside for a ticket please notify me.

gODLY

Rue Saint-Denis 08-29-2006 11:55 PM

do you remember the set list?

SisterMidnight 08-29-2006 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soda
Pretty good, but it was like listening to a cd player, looks like damo lost his funnyness, or was just not in the mood to chit chat. It was 1.5 hours of song after song with the first 'hello' after 45 mins or so. The songs sound great as ever, though I was hoping for some more interaction.
I'll put up some pics later.

hmm.. you sound underwhelmed marc

what songs did he play? :icon_kidr

Gatsby 08-30-2006 12:00 AM

ill be ignoring this thread if i want any kind of suprise tomorrow :smiley17:

and i dont mind grumpy damien. i just hope he doesnt get heckled by arseholes

Timeé 08-30-2006 12:00 AM

will someone try help an underage eskimo get in by pretending to "be" with him.

p.s. (its me)

tywy 08-30-2006 12:13 AM

yeah damien wasn't in as good a mood as the last time I saw him (Montreal July last). Or else he just wanted to be efficient with his time. He didn't do much talking but the new songs were fantastic. As usual there was all that heckling shíte! "I want to have your babies" and so on.

I don't think I'm ever going to see him again the way it was in Montreal. It was quiet, very little heckling and very little singing along.

AidanJH 08-30-2006 12:14 AM

God,

I might be able to help you! Contact me on Aidanhealy@gmail.com but as I'm in Dublin at the moment I won't have much access to the internet. Text me instead you can 0879761318

Aidan

tywy 08-30-2006 12:16 AM

sorry set list....

opened with I Remember oddly enough,I don't remember the order either, there were a lot of new songs but I know he played Me, My Yoke and I, Woman like a Man, Older Chests, Cold Water, Eskimo, The Blower's Daughter, The Blower's Daughter Part II, Rootless Tree (I think it's called, the one with Fúck you in the chorus), Accidental Babies, The Professor, Volcano....

Anyone care to add anything to this.

I can't wait for tomorrow night, the band were amazing tonight!

soda 08-30-2006 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterMidnight
hmm.. you sound underwhelmed marc

You got me right there lady. After years and years of listening to the songs, hearing great gig in boots and seeing some amaizing live stuff, last night was just far from magical. Yes, they sound great, yes they play the songs well and yes the songs are still strong, but I just had the feeling I was looking at a wee robot doing his thing. Maybe I had too big expectations, maybe I am too happy in my life to enjoy the sweet sadness and self pity in the songs, maybe it was because of the entire audience who were all quiet, not singing a long, not even moving.....ah well. Good to have seen him live, now when is ray, josh or glen playing again?

ps: I thought Accidental babies was the best song of the evening.

cheeurs 08-30-2006 08:19 AM

I thought the gig was great. Was with the woman so I was all happy holding her, listening away.... just enjoying it. There were a couple of head wreckers to the left of the stage, shouting, laughing through certain bits of songs when they shouldn't have been, etc. but you get over that.

There were a few funny bits, interacting with Damo. Not as many as I've seen before. I was at his solo gig in vicar street about 2 years ago when he forgot the words to older chests. That was a more intimate gig I think.

I agree with soda... there was very little singing along and very little movement in the crowd. A lot of people around me didn't know songs like the professor or blowers daughter part 2, etc. I had great fun singing to the professor! :D

There were a few songs I hadn't heard before. I'll agree that I thought Accidental Babies was excellent. One of the best from the night. Got a few laughs and stuff.

Anyway, I recorded Volcano and The Blowers Daughter. I'm uploading to YouTube at the moment and will post up a link for anyone who wants to see.

All in all... worth the 80 yoyos I forked out for each ticket!!! :D

Cheeurs,

Dave

cheeurs 08-30-2006 08:51 AM

Couple of pix from the gig. Taken without the flash cause we all know damo don't like that!!! :D

http://asdf.cheeurs.com/damo-vicarst-1.jpg

http://asdf.cheeurs.com/damo-vicarst-2.jpg

#Ian# 08-30-2006 09:23 AM

I thought it was adaquate at best. Only BD pt 2., Insane, My My Yoke And I, The Professor and Cold Water and one of the songs I'd never heard before really grabbed me. Everything else just kinda seemed to miss something.

Joel Shearer is a hell of a guitarist and he did add something to those songs mentioned above.

cheeurs 08-30-2006 10:51 AM

Ok, here's a link to my couple of videos from the gig last night! :D

http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/s...d.php?p=270387

Cheeurs, Dave

Closing_Doors 08-30-2006 11:06 AM

Don't suppose you happened to tape "Is That It My Friend?" :icon_rr:

Insane was amazing. I hope Damien has changed his mind about not having it on the album.

cheeurs 08-30-2006 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Closing_Doors
Don't suppose you happened to tape "Is That It My Friend?" :icon_rr:

Insane was amazing. I hope Damien has changed his mind about not having it on the album.

Sorry, only got those 2. Difficult to keep holding the camera up over people's heads.

filledanse 08-30-2006 12:38 PM

hey,

i made my buddy video the new song.
if it came out well or otherwise ill post it asap.

i thought there were some really great performances there, especially insane, i remember, me my yoke, accidental, blowers 2, cold water etc..

quick question, given the meaning of me my yoke and i, do you think the mannerisms of the guitar playing is intentional???? just when the tomo joel and damo were playin it certainly made me thing of it!! :smiley2:

Franchise 08-30-2006 12:46 PM

i have to disagree with Ian im afraid... I felt it was a fantastic gig apart from the hecklers. One of the highlights for me was Nine Crimes and also Insane.

In terms of new stuff really loving "Coconut Skin" as we seem to be calling it..

borneoman 08-30-2006 03:31 PM

so what was the setlist? Didn't anyone bring pen & paper ;)

Steve Invisible 08-30-2006 03:31 PM

I was under the impression he was singing

"we were cold in our skin"

I could well be mistaken tho!!

Steve Invisible 08-30-2006 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borneoman
so what was the setlist? Didn't anyone bring pen & paper ;)

Girlfriends mascara and back of a beer mat!!!

I remember (extended)
Rootless Tree
Delicate
Me, My Yoke & I
Woman like a Man
9 Crimes
Insane
*a new one I think* = Going to call it "how I long" (THIS MAY NOT BE NEW, I WAS IN THE LOO AND ONLY HALF HEARD)
Accidental Babies
Volcano
The Blowers Daughter
Older Chests
*a new one again i think* = Going to call it "cold in our skin" [AS ABOVE, I'VE A SMALL BLADDER]
Violin Solo
The Professor, Babylon, A Child, A Man & A Silly Dog, La Fille Danse
BREAK
Encore:
Blowers Daughter II
Eskimo
Cold Water

Timeé 08-30-2006 03:52 PM

im in an internet Café right now, along Temple bar street i think.

Can anyone tell me how to get to Vicar Street from here? :wave:

i cant wait :icon_kidr

julia 08-30-2006 04:25 PM

a few pictures of the gig here.

http://photo.wenn.com/index.php?ref=...2319159c16353e

SimonWales 08-30-2006 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #Ian#
I thought it was adaquate at best. Only BD pt 2., Insane, My My Yoke And I, The Professor and Cold Water and one of the songs I'd never heard before really grabbed me. Everything else just kinda seemed to miss something.

Totally agree with Ian (thanks for the tickets again by the way!)
It was certainly lacking something - possibly the spontenaeity (and the spelling!), the intimacy and the intensity that I've become accustomed to at a Damien gig. Don't get me wrong - It was a very enjoyable show, just lacked a certain magic that usually weaves it's way through a night with Damien.

A small review and pictures can be found here if you fancy a look:

http://blog.myspace.com/simoncunnick

borneoman 08-30-2006 04:46 PM

Steve Invisible

I was wondering if the second new one you mention could be Coconut Skin, u mention 'cold in our skin' which sounds similar to 'coconut skin'...

and indeed you seem to have a tiny bladder ;)

soda 08-30-2006 06:50 PM

here are my pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/marc.ver...treet29Aug2006

#Ian# 08-30-2006 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SimonWales
Totally agree with Ian (thanks for the tickets again by the way!)

You are more than welcome.

cille 08-30-2006 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soda

there are some really great shots among those marc!:smiley32: