The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien's Gigs (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   04.04.14, The Beacon (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17607)

jwelsh8 04-05-2015 04:00 AM

04.04.14, The Beacon

Just finished. Really good.

Damien Rice, 04.04.15
The Beacon

My Favourite Faded Fantasy (kneeling front)
9 Crimes (loops)
Colour Me In
It Takes a lot to Know a Man
Delicate
I Don't Want to Change You (electric)
Cheers Darlin' (electric)
Elephant
I Remember (fuzz, like Bonnaroo '04)
Blower's Daughter

Long Long Way (harmonium)
Volcano
Greatest Bastard
High Hopes (just Glen Hansard)
Chelsea Hotel no. 2 (Leonard Cohen; with Glen)

80 min, ish
30 min

jwelsh8 04-05-2015 04:12 AM

Found him to be using more loops than the previous NYC run. Maybe more comfortable with the music? Seemed looser, which is always a good thing. 9 Crimes for sure, I guess as with last night? And I Remember - which reminded me of Bonnaroo 2004. And then Long Long Way, shifting from harmonium to guitar.

The second mic was staring at us all evening. ;) And our wishes were granted with Glen coming out. Couldn't have been better.

The sound was perfect from the Loge. And the crowd was really respectful (esp. for NYC). Sure, there were a few yellers between songs but Damien played along; during the music you could hear a pin drop (more or less).

Wondering if he'll be with a band by summertime in Brooklyn. Kind of hoping that's the case.

conanemily 04-05-2015 04:20 AM

I recorded the whole gig! Quality surprisingly good!!!

so glad to meet a lot of friends here today:)

jwelsh8 04-05-2015 04:23 AM

Nice! A stealth rig, or phone? Where were you sitting?

conanemily 04-05-2015 04:24 AM

my phone, i was in orch row C :-D

jwelsh8 04-05-2015 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conanemily (Post 381817)

Wonderful! Just behind the single ticket I sold lol.

conanemily 04-05-2015 04:33 AM

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ek9wxy1vpy...eacon.m4a?dl=0

let me know if this works or not!
Listening now...

conanemily 04-05-2015 05:06 AM

someone took Damien's phone today or what? lol! he liked my instagram photo again! #passedout

Beat Surrender 04-05-2015 05:12 AM

C'mon Conanemily, by now you should know you can't post that he liked your pic without actually posting the pic!!! ;) Or, wait, do you mean he liked the same photo from last time again? I didn't know you could like anything twice! But if it's a new pic, please post!

conanemily 04-05-2015 05:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Damien and Glen!

JasonBono 04-05-2015 05:18 AM

Great show overall. Lots of energy for a one man show but i'd have to admit i prefer his live show with a full band, all and all any variation of Damien is excellent so i'm not complaining.

I was in orch row D and had the pleasure of having the "i love you" girl directly in back of me. God was she obnoxious, no courtesy what so ever for the other 2900 people in the entire venue... But what can you do, there is always at least one at any show.

Beat Surrender 04-05-2015 05:37 AM

Wonderful pic! They look like brothers!

conanemily 04-05-2015 05:39 AM

anyone tried the dropbox link?? does it work? been listening to it since i got home, guess i cannot sleep tonight!

Beat Surrender 04-05-2015 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conanemily (Post 381826)
anyone tried the dropbox link?? does it work? been listening to it since i got home, guess i cannot sleep tonight!

Wish I could, but I'm working on a work assignment. Listening to this show in the background while I work would be FAR too distracting and unproductive.

Not to say being here on the Igloo is somehow productive for work, that isn't either, but at listening to the show would be much worse :)

Thanks so much for posting it though, I look forward to listening when I'm done!

cookienator 04-05-2015 06:17 AM

The link works! I am listening right now and it's great! Thank you!

mikerennie 04-05-2015 06:39 AM

Holy crap.

Waited out back for over an hour. Damien and Glen came out an sang auld triangle and then talked to us for like 15 minutes. Hugs for everyone. Amazing.

Will post more tomorrow.

What a show.

conanemily 04-05-2015 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikerennie (Post 381829)
Holy crap.

Waited out back for over an hour. Damien and Glen came out an sang auld triangle and then talked to us for like 15 minutes. Hugs for everyone. Amazing.

Will post more tomorrow.

What a show.

you guys all waited?!

madhat181 04-05-2015 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conanemily (Post 381830)
you guys all waited?!

Yup it was worth it. Mike has whole video of them singing.

dawno 04-05-2015 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conanemily (Post 381819)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ek9wxy1vpy...eacon.m4a?dl=0

let me know if this works or not!
Listening now...

Thank you conanemily!!!

Fabulous show! So great to see and meet so many Eskimos!

dawno 04-05-2015 01:33 PM

Here is a 1 1/2 minute clip of Damien & Glen performing Leonard Cohen's Chelsea Hotel No. 2. It's on my facebook, but I've set it to public so anyone should be able to watch it

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater

dawno 04-05-2015 01:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A few pix from last night... can't wait til Philly!

Attachment 672

Attachment 673

Attachment 674

mikerennie 04-05-2015 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawno (Post 381835)
A few pix from last night... can't wait til Philly!

Attachment 672

Attachment 673

Attachment 674

Beautiful pictures! Please post more. I was right behind you with Amy.

Once I get back to Boston I will post all my stuff.

verenita 04-05-2015 02:19 PM

thank you guys so much for all that you share, not only vids and pics, which are fantastic, but also emotions, feelings, thoughts... i love the igloo and every single eskimo :)

verenita 04-05-2015 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwelsh8 (Post 381814)
And then Long Long Way, shifting from harmonium to guitar.

i hope there´s a video of this!

dawno 04-05-2015 02:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jwelsh8 (Post 381814)
And then Long Long Way, shifting from harmonium to guitar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by verenita (Post 381838)
i hope there´s a video of this!

So do I! I snapped a few photos, but was mesmerized watching him perform, and didn't record it.

Attachment 675

CoffeeFlavoredEverything 04-05-2015 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conanemily (Post 381817)

Aww I thought that was you sitting right behind me! I was a little too shy to say hello and wasn't 100% it was you. Hi! Thanks for recording the show again!! I hope the whispers to my husband aren't in the recording!

borneoman 04-05-2015 03:27 PM

amazing show!!! so many highlights

from the start, Damien playing MFFF unplugged, sitting on the knees...

then the 2015 version of 9 crimes, very fierce, super long, with the mother****er cheater part and lots of effects

Colour Me In very beautiful, different from last year (slightly)... as usual he forgot the words in the same part of the song

and then the first huge surprise, ITALTKAM, which was amazing, very rock-y, very Woman Like a Man, and there were even some new parts, and the spoken part about the letter etc was even better than on the record

then the part with electric guitar, Change You, with a long long speech and then Cheers Darlin, so great he´s playing this for real :)

and the Long Long Way with the harmonium on the first part and the guitar on the second, with a not very smooth transition but anyway, amazing version, so intense!!

and the ending with Glen covering Chelsea Hotel was great, we knew Glen was gonna go onstage cos he was sitting close to us in like the 7th row or something

conanemily 04-05-2015 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoffeeFlavoredEverything (Post 381841)
Aww I thought that was you sitting right behind me! I was a little too shy to say hello and wasn't 100% it was you. Hi! Thanks for recording the show again!! I hope the whispers to my husband aren't in the recording!

Oh that was you? I thought I saw you somewhere else but wasn't sure! You guys are sweet:)

signalfire 04-05-2015 04:31 PM

Definitely a fantastic show! I got to bring a friend along, and it was his first time seeing Damien live. It was great to see his excitement over the whole show.

I always skip Long Long Way on the album, but it really was gorgeous live last night. It gave me a new appreciation for the song, so that was the biggest surprise for me. The setlist wasn't shocking, but I still loved every bit of it. Nothing felt like a lull, which was great because there was very little banter. Someone told him to take off his shirt, which led him to say that he wouldn't because it takes a lot to know a man. It was a great segue.

When he introduced Glen during the encore, he said that he had two heroes as a teenager. One was Leonard Cohen, and the other was only a few years older than he was. Cohen couldn't be there, but Glen could. It was a very sweet moment. They were obviously in great spirits, even after the show. They just came out and sang The Auld Triangle to us, with Glen prompting Damien on which verses to sing (obviously he's learned the lyrics since the Warsaw gig!). They were very friendly and patient with everyone, shaking hands, smiling, hugging, listening and engaging.

My camera didn't do well last night due to my seat/being short/all the smoke, but that's okay. Dawno, you got amazing photos, as always! I did snap a few on my cell phone during the song outside.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7727/...2aed6fe7a9.jpg

As always, it was great hanging out with everyone before and after the show. I might've only slept four hours (stupid roommates), but oh, how worth it!

verenita 04-05-2015 04:41 PM

look at those two, enjoying themselves :) glad you had the chance to enjoy it too! thanks for the pic :)