The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   So I was wondering...How did you find out about Damien Rice? (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8289)

AshleyN217 04-30-2005 06:35 PM

So I was wondering...How did you find out about Damien Rice?

As I said in my little introduction to the forum...I found Damien Rice while searching through and creating mix cds from the show "Dawson's Creek." My sister and I randomly stumbled upon the song "Blower's Daughter," which had appeared in one of the episodes and researched him further. We own "O" and have since created our own cds "P," "Q," and "R"...real original, huh?! I've also seen him in concert and about melted to hear his words live. If you think he's good on cd, you have to see him in person. The Frames opened for him at the concert and I have since fallen in love with their music as well. Just was curious about how all of you found him...

BenjaminCostello 04-30-2005 06:48 PM

I have a friend David, in the UK, who had heard him around, and before "O" came out in the states, he pointed him out to me, and I started getting some of his songs -- it was like something I had been waiting for forever. And then when O came out, it sealed the deal and I have loved it since. I was actually covering cannonball before anyone around here had ever heard of him :)

Anyhow - I saw him in concert at the Beacon theatre in NYC - is that where you saw him too Ashley?

http://benjamincostello.com/misc/ticket.jpg

Benjamin

AshleyN217 04-30-2005 09:05 PM

Great story! It's interesting how we all come upon certain artists. Cannonball is my favorite song...although I love so many others, something about that song just gets to me. I saw him last April at the Odeon in Cleveland, Ohio. A very small venue...the kind that I like. I took a picture of the sign that had his name posted on it...no picture of me holding a ticket. ;0)

Did I tell you how much I enjoy your cover of Fields of Gold?

---Ashley

AshleyN217 04-30-2005 09:07 PM

By the way...I've never been to New York City. I'd love to go there. I've heard it's amazing. I have a friend who goes to school in Nyack, NY. We're trying to plan a NYC trip at some point this summer.

---Ash

WhatAmIDarling? 05-01-2005 01:38 AM

My Dad introduced him to me.

We were driving home from a 3-day concert from a band called "Jump, Little Children" (who are amazing btw--I'd suggest looking them up and giving them a chance or two before dismissing them because they may not be they type that leaves a great first impression) and we had one hour left out of a five hour drive home. But it felt like it was taking FOREVER so he pulled out 'O' and stuck in in the CD player with a brief, "This is a guy/band called Damien Rice. They used an opera singer in one of the songs. It's pretty cool."

And the rest is history. I was hooked.

Btw, NY is awesome :-)

WhatAmIDarling? 05-01-2005 01:39 AM

And Ithaca is beautiful.

BenjaminCostello 05-01-2005 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhatAmIDarling?
And Ithaca is beautiful.

Yay! It really is :) Let's have an eskimo friends gathering here hehe :)

cartman 05-01-2005 01:34 PM

i found out about rice around 99' id say he played in galway alot, after the split from juniper

cactus360 05-02-2005 06:25 PM

In an "eskimo"(not really but...) country

In september 2003,I was in a small store in Bergen in Norway and I heard this beautiful music...ant it was "o"...so beautiful....:-)

Xanthe 05-02-2005 08:49 PM

It was an advert on TV, in the middle of something tragic like Friends I think - it had a clip of him playing Cannonball, and will go down in history as one of the few adverts to have made me cry (in the illustrious company of the old mobile phone ads with the little homeless phones...:smiley13: I'm a very emotional person, OK?! )

WhatAmIDarling? 05-02-2005 10:26 PM

A Home Depot commercial once made my brother tear up.

Xanthe 05-02-2005 10:32 PM

Quote:

A Home Depot commercial once made my brother tear up.

Well, that makes me feel a little better...:smiley9:

Trixalia 05-07-2005 01:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was introduced to Damien through a friend at work back in 2003. He sent me The Blower's Daughter mp3 and I was hooked from then on.

The coolest thing happened...we had a business trip to NYC pending for May and when I learned that Damien would be there performing I strategically planned our trip accordingly. We even took two of our clients to the show that night. It was amazing!

Like Benjamin...I have to show my ticket. :)

Ranting Thespian 05-07-2005 04:19 AM

I just heard Cannonball on the radio. We have a very progessive radio station in town. They don't play almost any just pop. They go from dave matthews band, to buffalo springfeild, to bruce springstein, to neil young, to Green Day, to Damien Rice, and to our hometown band of Madison Wisconsin, Garbage. I never change the dial in my car, because I never hear something I don't like, and there are no posers or crap going on. They also stop playing songs from bands who do sell out.

So, I was driving to work one day, and it came on. After about 3-4 weeks of hearing Damien on the radio (cannonball and volcano) I decided to get the album.

3cigarettes2smokemytears 05-20-2005 01:34 PM

i saw cannonball on a music channel and thought it was a stunning song but me being as stupid as i am, took no notice of the artist or the song title. I then saw closer and was captivated by the blowers daughter, but yet again didnot take a any notice of the title or artist. then a friend told me to listen to him because he said "he is so emotional" when i found out that it was the same guy that made two of the most beautifull songs i had ever heard i bought the cd straight away. i listened to it as soon as i got back in the car... never before have i had to pull over because the music took hold of me so much. the great thing is that no matter how much ive listened to him the music has not faded and still grabs me the way it did upon first hearing it.

*Killian* 05-20-2005 02:29 PM

i knew about him cos he lives down the road :smiley4:

evanj 05-20-2005 03:04 PM

i got introduced to damien through my brother in law a couple years back. we usually try to find new and good bands. and so damien is one of my fav. and cant wait to see him in concert.

Hannah650 05-20-2005 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Killian*

that will always make me jealous Kill, fook ya!!

WhatAmIDarling? 05-20-2005 11:06 PM

Quote:

WOAH, really?? So do you like KNOW him?

jen-celbridge! 05-21-2005 10:47 PM

Quote:

Seriously cos i live like 2 minutes away frm him!!! we are the lucky ones!
:smiley31: :smiley31: :smiley31: :smiley31: :smiley32:

glo32 05-22-2005 12:30 AM

a friends of mine wrote about damo on his blog and then i bought a copy of "O" (that here in italy is very hard to find)...

joiyua 05-22-2005 12:55 PM

I chatted with someone from a Jeff Buckley dicsussions-thingie and he sent me some songs by Damien. It took some months 'til I bought the album though, but now I can't stop listen to it, hehe :)

*Killian* 05-22-2005 09:24 PM

Quote:

WOAH, really?? So do you like KNOW him?

i dont actually KNOW him...iv met him though, and seen him lots, know his house and whatever....my mum and dad know his mum and dad

Steve D. 05-23-2005 07:15 PM

I'm jealous, you saw him live. I was just in Cleveland for a month (April), I hope he wasn't playing while I was there. I didn't discover him until a couple of weeks ago after seeing Closer. Blower's Daughter haunts me.

3cigarettes2smokemytears 05-24-2005 06:55 AM

did he have the blowers daughter on dawsons creek? i didnt know that! :smiley30:

Aisling 05-25-2005 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenjaminCostello

oh my god, is that not the cutest person you have ever seen? mmmm
anyway.
i first saw him messin around with a guitar back in 97 in galway. then he went off somewhere and didnt come home for ages....

Trifecta 05-26-2005 09:07 AM

As I briefly touched upon in my "welcome speech" a most wonderful and talented young lady gave me a handful of CDs to listen to, not knowing my tastes (there is an age difference :o ) and in amongst them was "O" which I have just played and played and typically of a new convert I want more. Much more. Wonderful stuff Sir :smiley20:

HugeAmericanFan 05-26-2005 10:39 PM

Weirdly enough I "discovered" Damien Rice while I was in Mr. Hardy's 1st Hour Honors 2 History Class. We were watching VH1 in November about and Damien's "The Blower's Daughter" came on and the music was beautiful but I was strangley confused with the video. I recognized the video clips from "Closer" but thought the singer's seemed so strange. I then researched further into them after I sat carefully waiting till the end of the video to see the Artist/Title. I immediatly fell in love! I've been listening to Damien and Lisa ever since!

Colbarr 05-26-2005 11:09 PM

My brother heard him in Dublin Castle at the heineken green energy festival a few years back and got the album. I listened to it but didnt really get into it. last year when I was on holidays, I was with a few people one of which had O and was amazed when I told her I liked damien's music. we more or less spent every night listening to him through her CD player, and thats the story of how I found out about Damo.

Little Fox 05-27-2005 07:45 AM

My Dutch/American friend made me listen to the 'O' and gave me the cd last autumn. I'm glad that he did that! Never had heard of D.R. before!!! :)