The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien Rice (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Project: Eskimo Concert (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14330)

Martine 06-04-2007 05:30 PM

Great idea :hello2:

Never stop hoping!

Accidental Baby 06-04-2007 05:33 PM

Btw, there's another small problem and it's called Damien Rice. Shouldn't he be... up for it in the first place.

Moves-My-World 06-04-2007 05:40 PM

I say Ireland would be a pretty good venue, only fair he plays in his homeland :D But atm this looks very like a pipe dream but I would be very willing to contribute if needed.

colibriink 06-04-2007 05:45 PM

Ireland!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moves-My-World
I say Ireland would be a pretty good venue, only fair he plays in his homeland :D But atm this looks very like a pipe dream but I would be very willing to contribute if needed.

I would love to see him in his homeland, and am completely willing to travel to Ireland if

a) I have a year to plan it (I can book time off whenever I want, I'm self-employed - I just need lots of advance notice.)
b) I have a [free] place to stay
c) it's an exclusive special event for Eskimos only... ssshhhh, don't tell anyone!

Cheers, Christa

PS I'm thinking by the number of times I've posted in this thread that I'm a little bit wild about this!

Build it, and they will come.......

borneoman 06-04-2007 06:04 PM

Transatlantic flights are too expensive for that!!

i think that realistically speaking, an on-line gig is the best option. Besides, it could be... FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We just have to ask him NICELY ;)

Maybe we could start a petition letter or e-mail, and all eskimos sign and write something and if we get like 1,000 or 5,000 people he might be touched and do it!!!!!!!!

Five Leaves Left 06-04-2007 06:06 PM

he wouldn't want a ton of people travelling long distances to see him because of the effect it would have on the enviornment

Calum 06-04-2007 06:43 PM

Who says he'll do it anyway? Even if he wants to, he (god forbid) may be bound by his record deal. Sorry to burst everyone's bubble because it sounds like a fantastic idea in theory, but it's extremely unlikely.

Valentino 06-04-2007 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZachC
ok i do have somewhat of an idea ... what if we raised money for different sections ... like eastern us , midwest, eastern .. or something like that ... or do one for the whole us and whole europe ... because its somewhat cheap to travel around in the us ... and somewhat cheap to travel europe ... so why not have two seperate shows one for us and one for europe ... ?? just thinking outside the box really

I was actually thinking about the same thing last night. Great idea, but what if we were to have a live stream...is there a certain amount of people maximum allowed viewing? For example, you know how at clubs theres always a sign describing the maximum occupancy...does the same work for internet servers? I agree that a live stream is our best hope but is anyone out really computer savvy and able to answer this?

And look, there's no one here trying to be elitist. At the end of the day you're either in or you're not. It's your choice and the people that are instrumental in making this happen by contributing, event planning, and whatever else needs to be done are of course the only ones who should reap the benefits. This isn't elitist, it's just fair.

By the way, the only way this could be pulled off for free would be if Damien (no pressure buddy) decides to do it for free or if we get some major corporations involved. These people are always hungry for advertising and with my connections I could very well arrange this. However, I would really hate to have these money-bags taking over the thing by posting banners and pop-ups all over the place. We could always do a little image thing in which we get some local businesses to contribute and then list their name and logo at the beginning and end of the concert. Kinda like "The first ever Eskimo-palooza was made possible by the hard-working people at ____ _____ _____ etc." And yes, Eskimo-palooza is more of a space filler and definitely not an actual title.

Oh and one last thing. In regards to the cost of traveling or even the cost of contributing your own cash to make this happen, don't ever think "I can't afford this." Instead, think to yourself "How can I afford this?" You see, when you say the first quote, you're immediately turning off any creativity and therefore your plans cease to exist. The second quote actually triggers your brain to think of creative ways to produce results and this is by far a much better state of mind. Let's all work together on this, atleast we'll know we tried. Anyone wanna talk to the site admin?

dboyd 06-04-2007 07:47 PM

everything has a cost.. u can't exactly ignore the question "how can i afford this?"

Yetzirah 06-04-2007 07:47 PM

the idea sounds lovely, i'd be a bit surprised though, if it worked out - but then again, i love to be surprised :icon_flow

Rue Saint-Denis 06-04-2007 07:48 PM

Okay, still no message from Gemma.

1) The idea of two separate concerts is a little more realistic.

2) I was thinking that it would be better if it was JUST for eskimos, the purpose of this is to unite eskimos and see the man we adore together.

3) It would only be fair if eskimos that contribute to the concert are the only ones allowed to go. This doesn't cost 5 bucks!

4) This is just an idea, we know there isn't an overwhelming percent chance of Damien accepting.

Rue Saint-Denis 06-04-2007 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dboyd
everything has a cost.. u can't exactly ignore the question "how can i afford this?"

From the money we collect, if there's a superfluous amount we can aid those eskimos that need help. Also, we can choose a location that doesn't cost so much to fly to.

Nine 06-04-2007 08:09 PM

I think this is a fantastic idea in theory. My current job at the moment is organising gigs and booking artists, most on a small scale level, others on the same sort of level as Fionn Regan - nothing as huge as this would be. However, I know a bit about how to go about this sort of thing, so if we need someone to help out with this area of things, even if it's just enquiries, I'd be more than happy to oblige. :wave:

srahman24 06-04-2007 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accidental Baby
Btw, there's another small problem and it's called Damien Rice. Shouldn't he be... up for it in the first place.

Seriously.

All the planning in the world won't do us any good if he doesn't sign off on the idea (and I'm guessing he's not the most accessible guy anymore).

The rest of it sounds great, in theory.

Timeé 06-04-2007 09:25 PM

Shouldnt we have an environment initiative attached so he signs up straight away? :)

Ships_Were_Sailin 06-04-2007 09:31 PM

good idea, ill go take a seal hostage

Timeé 06-04-2007 09:38 PM

can we just have the concert at my house and raise awareness about a few of my farmer neighbours who pollute the lake by washing their tractors in it?
we have our own stream so our water isnt infected or anything.

LaurenM 06-04-2007 10:48 PM

I think we should pay. It sounds like a lot of people would be willing to contribute, and I think if we could raise enough money, it is possible. Damien cand decide whether or not he gives the money to a charity. That is completely up to him. I don't think it is a good idea to tell him what to do with the money though.

I also think he is more accessible than you think. I don't think he's the type of person who would himself unaccessible or surrounded by a posse. He's a regular guy, just like all of us, and a really giving one at that. I don't think he would be that opposed to the idea. I know he works hard, and tours for very long periods of time, so I don't think asking him to do it for free is a good idea.

Also, as far as the technological factor, some of the money may need to go into hiring someone to make this all happen. Of course any eskimo volunteer would be supremely appreciated, we may need to invest in that.

In addition, I'm going to start a petition (aka another thread) to Damien, and it would be great if you could all write something in it saying why you want this to happen. (I don't have time right now, I'm about to tour some monuments in D.C. but I will do it right when I get back!)

Thanks so much for the overwhelming amount of support!

Rue Saint-Denis 06-05-2007 12:20 AM

Now, we need a very dedicated little eskimo that will go out of his/her way, and will be attending bonnaroo, to mention our project to Damien the 18th.

Well?

tlh235 06-05-2007 12:20 AM

I seen Damien live on May 28th and i never want to see him via computer again. It was the most amazing concert experience i've ever had. 7th row center. He's a genius. The only time i'll ever want to watch Damien other than at a live show is if he would put out a Concert DVD. I want a concert DVD!!!!

nyrice45 06-05-2007 03:04 AM

This is a great idea and worth a shot - theres really nothing to lose

maybe if we did have an official tie-in to a charity org. that we know he supports (people who go/log in pay a certain amount to that group) it might help?

also it sounds like the live stream/multiple concert idea is the only way to please everyone

LaurenM 06-05-2007 04:31 AM

true true nyrice, and i think the livestream is the most practical as well

Valentino 06-05-2007 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyrice45
This is a great idea and worth a shot - theres really nothing to lose

maybe if we did have an official tie-in to a charity org. that we know he supports (people who go/log in pay a certain amount to that group) it might help?

also it sounds like the live stream/multiple concert idea is the only way to please everyone

How about we donate all the funds to the "Free Aung San Suu Kyi" campaign? Her story is quite the amazing one and if we can get one step closer to helping the world's only imprisoned Nobel Peace Prize recipient then I think it's definitely worth it.

buddy 06-05-2007 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rue Saint-Denis
Now, we need a very dedicated little eskimo that will go out of his/her way, and will be attending bonnaroo, to mention our project to Damien the 18th.

:hello2:

buddy 06-05-2007 05:41 AM

i think this is turning into a really good idea. and i can see damo being up for something like this.

if we can figure out what it is we actually want (live concert/video stream/some combination of both - and i think the more we talk it out here, the clearer it's becoming) we might have something here.

i have plenty of ideas (and, probably more importantly, plenty of free time) about how to go about making this happen. if we can hammer out the details of what we want, i'd be happy to help make it happen.

FightthegdFight 06-05-2007 05:44 AM

This is a fun idea, but one I doubt will ever happen. Think about these few things before you get ahead of yourself.

1) What good is a live feed? How is that any different than watching Damien on youtube or any other concert stream like KCRW and Coachella?

2) Damien and any other artist is not a juke box to play songs at people request and on demand. I mean this quite seriously, when Damien performs he performs what he wants to do and that makes it special. He'll take audience suggestions I know, but just thinking that he'll play his rare song selections at our request is a bit presumptuous. He is an artist, not a record player.

3) I can't say what the cost will be, but can people on this site really believe that they'd send money to just 1 Eskimo and feel completely safe with them handling thousands of collective Eskimo dollars? You can't make an offer to book an artist without having the money for it. You can't have the money for it with having everyone send it to one person to manage it and count it.

4) The amount it would cost each Eskimo to have this project be realistic would be far more than to just buy ebay front row tickets for his next show in their town. (whether that money is spent on plane tickets, travel, booking Damien, and lodging)

Think about it... Say Damien was $30,000 to book (pure guess) + say $20,000 for venue lights and sound (probably an underestimate). That is $50k. Then it would take 1000 "Core group of eskimos" $50 for a ticket plus their other associated cost. Any more than 1000 people is hardly an intimate show anymore, thus defeating the purpose of the show, right?

5) Everyone is already talking about charities to give this money to....think about what Damien is working towards. Lowering Carbon emissions and fighting global warming. I would imagine he'd want his fans to lower their carbon footprint, so not having 1000+ fans come in on airplanes.

Really, it's a fun idea...but think things through.

Rue Saint-Denis 06-05-2007 06:00 AM

Number one and two are concerning the live stream, if we do the concert then those two cancel out.

Number three is one that I have been thinking about, but have not come up with an answer. any ideas?

As for number four: Yes, this is definitely going to be costly, if it happens, but I think it's well worth it. It won't be like your regular concert because you will also be meeting the people you interact with on the boards. ( just be sure not to talk during the show ;) )

For number five: Aren't the charities Damien's decision?

buddy 06-05-2007 06:20 AM

i don't think it's that far-fetched of an idea. i dunno, maybe it is. but what can it hurt to try?

nyrice45 06-05-2007 08:21 AM

if there was a way for the admins of this site to set up a paypal account for this (once it was determined that it could be done) then that would solve the trust issue with money- for me at least

I do agree a venue etc. would be very costly- especially if people wanted to have more than 1 of these things in different continents-

however, i do think the livestream might work if the logistics could be worked out

- it would be different from youtube because itd be live and something only for the fans - i mean if you sent out a youtube link maybe half the people here would check it out- but if this livestream happened im sure almost everyone would be interested -

-it wouldn't be something where you give him a list of songs- itd be his decision what to play but we'd hope that he would know his audience and do some stuff we might not see at a regular gig-

Maybe it wont work- but its not going to hurt anyone to find out- so theres no reason not to try

Valentino 06-05-2007 08:24 AM

1) What good is a live feed? How is that any different than watching Damien on youtube or any other concert stream like KCRW and Coachella?

Let's see...how about the fact that unlike Coachella or KCRW, we'll actually be able to submit our own interview questions and song requests. And yes, not all questions or requests are subject to be carried out completely but the fact that we are organizing this event and that our voice will be heard is what matters here. Think about it, wouldn't it be cool to know that the question he's answering is the one YOU submitted?

2) Damien and any other artist is not a juke box to play songs at people request and on demand. I mean this quite seriously, when Damien performs he performs what he wants to do and that makes it special. He'll take audience suggestions I know, but just thinking that he'll play his rare song selections at our request is a bit presumptuous. He is an artist, not a record player.

We already know this bro. But once again the main point is that by reading our requests perhaps Damien will think twice about playing a certain rare song *cough *cough *What do you Know about Love?* Yes, this is highly unlikely but there's no reason to not try.

3) I can't say what the cost will be, but can people on this site really believe that they'd send money to just 1 Eskimo and feel completely safe with them handling thousands of collective Eskimo dollars? You can't make an offer to book an artist without having the money for it. You can't have the money for it with having everyone send it to one person to manage it and count it.

I mentioned in an earlier post that we should conduct our business with PayPal since they're so highly reputable and trusted by millions world-wide. At this moment, the only person I think should be in charge of all the funds is the site admin. But this is purely his decision and there's no pressure to comply.

4) The amount it would cost each Eskimo to have this project be realistic would be far more than to just buy ebay front row tickets for his next show in their town. (whether that money is spent on plane tickets, travel, booking Damien, and lodging)

Think about it... Say Damien was $30,000 to book (pure guess) + say $20,000 for venue lights and sound (probably an underestimate). That is $50k. Then it would take 1000 "Core group of eskimos" $50 for a ticket plus their other associated cost. Any more than 1000 people is hardly an intimate show anymore, thus defeating the purpose of the show, right?

That's a good point near the end about the whole intimacy factor. But I think at this point it's quite perfectly clear that a live stream is the most practical idea. What can be more intimate than watching Damien in your boxers/panties/lingerie...Lauren comes to mind :smiley2:...I would still like to be in Damien's presence should this definitely carry out but maybe we can have the option of where some people are actually at the concert while it's being streamed for the rest of the world online? I like that.

5) Everyone is already talking about charities to give this money to....think about what Damien is working towards. Lowering Carbon emissions and fighting global warming. I would imagine he'd want his fans to lower their carbon footprint, so not having 1000+ fans come in on airplanes.

Really, it's a fun idea...but think things through.

We have, and it's still in progress thank you very much. Look pal, my intention was never to disrespect or offend your views, only to look at them from a more optimistic standpoint. The live stream would take care of any of the Global Warming advocates and I'm sure that there is still enough time to properly plan this thing. And to all you bigwigs out there claiming to be in contact with Damien *cough *cough HENDRIK *cough whether it be through a personal relationship or a friend who knows his mailman's pet groomer's sister's ex-lover who owns a dealership that sits on the land belonging to Kobe Bryant's tax attorney (inhale) put your words and connections into action and let's see how well you can play your part. Peace.