The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien Rice (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Project: Eskimo Concert (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14330)

LaurenM 06-04-2007 06:04 AM

Project: Eskimo Concert

How would you all feel about a concert only for the core group of fans (Eskimos)? We are thinking about either an actual concert, or some type of live stream that would be very intimate and only for those active Eskimos on this site. For the live stream, we could submit questions that have not been answered before. Participants would have to pay a minimum fee and then everyone would be encouraged to donate more so that we could reach our goal. It may take a year or two to raise the money, but I think it would be well worth it!

I think it would mainly be an opportunity to really connect with the person who inspires us.

Rue Saint-Denis 06-04-2007 06:17 AM

I sent an email the other day to Gemma asking her if she could give me the tour manager's number, let's see if she responds. As more people get interested, we could estimate how many people will attend, if it happens, and then seek a venue. I like the idea of the majority of eskimos finally meeting.

LaurenM 06-04-2007 06:20 AM

yeah it would be fantastic, the only problem is where. we live so far away from eachother, which makes me feel like in order to accomodate everyone we should do a livestream. i guess i cant see an actual concert happening, given everyone living so far away.

Rue Saint-Denis 06-04-2007 06:30 AM

That is definitely a problem. To solve the problem for those who work we could set it up on a weekend, and for students, during the summer. As for the people who do not have enough money to fly, if we raise more than we need then we could appropriately aid those. The concert does seem like a fallacy, since he has fans world-wide. I wouldn't mind at all if we settled for the live stream, they are both great ideas. Hey, is it too late to make a poll?

LaurenM 06-04-2007 06:32 AM

i have no idea about the poll, but i agree, a live stream would be the most practical idea this is really exciting to think about!

srahman24 06-04-2007 07:51 AM

Hmm... sounds like a cool idea!

How would you define "core group of fans on this site" though?

Valentino 06-04-2007 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rue Saint-Denis
Val, what about the European eskimos?

F uck em'...just kidding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaurenBledsoe
hahaha valentino you're hilarious. apparently that is the british spelling of stomach, and no, she is not the sister in my avatar. the problem with the small venue thing is that some people simply cannot afford to fly somewhere/get the time off work. it just is not that fathomable. i think the live stream would be great because we could submit questions only the core group of fans care about, and ask questions that havent been answered before. if all goes well, it may turn into a love stream by the end of the night :love2: :hello2:

Okay, I think it's official...I am definitely a night owl. My sleep cycle has been totally f ucked this past month and I see no reason in trying to correct things. I think this is why I've posted so late. Anyways now that I think about it, maybe the live stream isn't such a bad idea. The only thing that concerned me was actually being in front of Damien and experiencing all of this in person. Live streams always run the risk of improper connection rates, out-of-sync performances and lastly many people giving up after experiencing the first two dilemmas. However, the risks involved with live streams are much lower than those concerning people worldwide actually having the resources to travel to a certain gig.

All in all, I would absolutely love for this to happen either way and the opportunity to submit interview questions and song requests would be great as well. But let's see what Gemma says and where it goes from there. I hate getting my hopes up for nothing so I'll remain docile until further word of encouragement comes along. I hope Damien's reading this...caught ya!

One more thing, let's forget about all this 'core group' nonsense. The more people involved the better. We can definitely make this work so let's not limit anyone's access if they're willing to supply the goods. The best way would be to organize this with PayPal since they're highly reputable and I wouldn't trust my money to anyone else. Any other suggestions?

Ships_Were_Sailin 06-04-2007 08:38 AM

i agree this is a cool idea, a concert would actually be amazing, i was thinking about that the other day.

livestream is cool too, it is definatly the more practical of the 2, but i think if there were some way that we could pull of a concert it would be so cool. either way, im in!

Timeé 06-04-2007 09:41 AM

yeah im in. assumin i can find a neighbour with broadband hehe
or if it was a real gig we could estimate how many eskimos come from where and how many would be free to travel. i.e. if theres a huge majority in a place we can try our best to have it there...but if its just half and half spread across the globe we can try the live stream..?

Accidental Baby 06-04-2007 10:05 AM

In case you need a venue, I know a good one that's always available: my house ;)

cille 06-04-2007 10:50 AM

Smashing idea, I'm in if it will not ruin me.

dboyd 06-04-2007 11:09 AM

i see a major problem in the sense of getting the younger guys and gals like myself (i'm 18) down to where ever... it's:
1. costly
2. not safe exactly if i'm alone.
3. there's many obstacles in the way.
4. opportunity cost (the cost in which u could wait for him to come to ur town and save the cost of flying to a special concert, [which don't get me wrong, it would be unique] and spending the flying money on other things...)

but those go for everyone really... except the saftey issue if ur older :P...

it's a wonderful idea, but i don't think it will be as easy as some people might be thinking... but i'd love to see it myself :D the live stream would probably be a better and cost savings choice overall...

J.M.C 06-04-2007 11:50 AM

I dont like this one bit

I think its abit elitist

Major probs too....

how does someone choose who is active and who is not
how do you stop people posting just to go
why should only active people go
why dont you want normal people there
are you saying when you go to a normal gig the people there dont like him as much as the people here just cos these special people post alot on here, also tbf very rarely about damien anymore.

pft

Tommy 06-04-2007 01:13 PM

The location is a problem therefore I recommend so its fair for everyone that the gig takes place in the centre of the Earth. Wolverhampton England :)

bottlebohemia 06-04-2007 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy
The location is a problem therefore I recommend so its fair for everyone that the gig takes place in the centre of the Earth. Wolverhampton England :)

Haha :smiley36:

I think in theory, this is an awesome idea and I would love to be a part of it. But in reality, I think this will be very difficult to execute which really sucks, since we all are from different parts of the world.

On the other hand, a Livestream would definitely remedy that in my opinion. Great idea Lauren!

deal135 06-04-2007 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bottlebohemia
On the other hand, a Livestream would definitely remedy that in my opinion. Great idea Lauren!

yep this is a brilliant idea. if we could set up some sort of live stream, and have votes on to request rare songs to play it would be amazing

ZachC 06-04-2007 03:21 PM

ok i do have somewhat of an idea ... what if we raised money for different sections ... like eastern us , midwest, eastern .. or something like that ... or do one for the whole us and whole europe ... because its somewhat cheap to travel around in the us ... and somewhat cheap to travel europe ... so why not have two seperate shows one for us and one for europe ... ?? just thinking outside the box really

GlttrGrrl 06-04-2007 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srahman24
How would you define "core group of fans on this site" though?

Seriously.

Fun idea, but seems highly problematic in lots of ways unless it's just a stream.

FYI, if you were looking to book Damo for a concert, I'd venture a guess that his usual booking fee is at least $30,000.

I would be happy if he would go back to doing presale tickets the way he did back in 2004. Where the fans actually got really good seats in the presale and we didn't have to go through Ticketmaster. *sigh* those were the days.

LaurenM 06-04-2007 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.M.C
I dont like this one bit

I think its abit elitist

Major probs too....

how does someone choose who is active and who is not
how do you stop people posting just to go
why should only active people go
why dont you want normal people there
are you saying when you go to a normal gig the people there dont like him as much as the people here just cos these special people post alot on here, also tbf very rarely about damien anymore.

pft

by core group of fans i meant anyone on this site, sorry if it sounded elitest. it doesnt matter if you joined yesterday or five years ago, any eskimo is gladly welcomed!

ZachC 06-04-2007 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaurenBledsoe
by core group of fans i meant anyone on this site, sorry if it sounded elitest. it doesnt matter if you joined yesterday or five years ago, any eskimo is gladly welcomed!

i wouldnt say any eskimo , what about any eskimo that contributes ... ??

LaurenM 06-04-2007 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZachC
i wouldnt say any eskimo , what about any eskimo that contributes ... ??

nahh, because how do you really draw the line? it's either open to everyone or leaving people out of something extraordinary, something i dont want to consider.

colibriink 06-04-2007 03:46 PM

Quote:

or do one for the whole us and whole europe ... because its somewhat cheap to travel around in the us ... and somewhat cheap to travel europe ... so why not have two seperate shows one for us and one for europe ... ?? just thinking outside the box really

This is a great idea... and probably slightly more feasible than just one show. It would be terrible to have a bunch of Eskimos fighting over where it should be.

Remember what that goofball Kevin Costner said in that baseball movie, "Field of Dreams"?

Build it, and they will come...........

ZachC 06-04-2007 03:48 PM

very true , disregard my last statement ^^^

should i start building a venue then ??? (kinda reminds me of waynestock)

colibriink 06-04-2007 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.M.C
pft

No, but wouldn't it be great to exclude the people who

a) answer their cell phones during a concert...
b) try and take pictures with their cell phones...
c) yell out "Amie" or "Creep" over and over and over...

Edit:

d) see Dangana's post below for d)
e) scalp tickets outside venues

and wouldn't it be great to have Corey Byrnes be the official photographer, so no one else would have to mess around with noisy and distracting digital cameras and flashes, and we would end up with FANTASTIC photos - he's amazing!!

Christa

colibriink 06-04-2007 03:58 PM

housing/hosting

IF it were held in Toronto, I would be more than happy to open my door/floor to as many Eskimos as I could, regardless of age or gender.

And I would imagine that no matter what region it were held in other Eskimos would consider doing the same thing.

Dangana 06-04-2007 04:28 PM

I think this is a splendid idea.

Dangana 06-04-2007 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colibriink
No, but wouldn't it be great to exclude the people who

a) answer their cell phones during a concert...
b) try and take pictures with their cell phones...
c) yell out "Amie" or "Creep" over and over and over...

and wouldn't it be great to have Corey Byrnes be the official photographer, so no one else would have to mess around with noisy and distracting digital cameras and flashes, and we would end up with FANTASTIC photos - he's amazing!!

Christa

I want to add on this list
d) the people who leave in the middle of the concert to buy drinks and bother everyone because they sit in the middle of the row.

peterj 06-04-2007 05:04 PM

this would be amazing. great idea!

colibriink 06-04-2007 05:20 PM

Planning...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rue Saint-Denis
I sent an email the other day to Gemma asking her if she could give me the tour manager's number, let's see if she responds. As more people get interested, we could estimate how many people will attend, if it happens, and then seek a venue. I like the idea of the majority of eskimos finally meeting.

1) Is there an event planner in the crowd that would be willing to actually work on this idea for us?

2) May I sweeten the pot for the band by offering free massages to each of the band members? (I am a registered massage therapist - no hanky-panky, just therapeutic massage. :) Purely out of the goodness of my heart, of course.

Five Leaves Left 06-04-2007 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accidental Baby
In case you need a venue, I know a good one that's always available: my house ;)

we could do a contest, if you donate money then you're entered into a random drawing to have the show at your house and the show would be broadcasted from there for all of the eskimos to see. i think the frames did a live at your house contest before, maybe it was someone else.

Martine 06-04-2007 05:30 PM

Great idea :hello2:

Never stop hoping!

Accidental Baby 06-04-2007 05:33 PM

Btw, there's another small problem and it's called Damien Rice. Shouldn't he be... up for it in the first place.

Moves-My-World 06-04-2007 05:40 PM

I say Ireland would be a pretty good venue, only fair he plays in his homeland :D But atm this looks very like a pipe dream but I would be very willing to contribute if needed.

colibriink 06-04-2007 05:45 PM

Ireland!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moves-My-World
I say Ireland would be a pretty good venue, only fair he plays in his homeland :D But atm this looks very like a pipe dream but I would be very willing to contribute if needed.

I would love to see him in his homeland, and am completely willing to travel to Ireland if

a) I have a year to plan it (I can book time off whenever I want, I'm self-employed - I just need lots of advance notice.)
b) I have a [free] place to stay
c) it's an exclusive special event for Eskimos only... ssshhhh, don't tell anyone!

Cheers, Christa

PS I'm thinking by the number of times I've posted in this thread that I'm a little bit wild about this!

Build it, and they will come.......

borneoman 06-04-2007 06:04 PM

Transatlantic flights are too expensive for that!!

i think that realistically speaking, an on-line gig is the best option. Besides, it could be... FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We just have to ask him NICELY ;)

Maybe we could start a petition letter or e-mail, and all eskimos sign and write something and if we get like 1,000 or 5,000 people he might be touched and do it!!!!!!!!

Five Leaves Left 06-04-2007 06:06 PM

he wouldn't want a ton of people travelling long distances to see him because of the effect it would have on the enviornment

Calum 06-04-2007 06:43 PM

Who says he'll do it anyway? Even if he wants to, he (god forbid) may be bound by his record deal. Sorry to burst everyone's bubble because it sounds like a fantastic idea in theory, but it's extremely unlikely.

Valentino 06-04-2007 07:36 PM

Quote:

ok i do have somewhat of an idea ... what if we raised money for different sections ... like eastern us , midwest, eastern .. or something like that ... or do one for the whole us and whole europe ... because its somewhat cheap to travel around in the us ... and somewhat cheap to travel europe ... so why not have two seperate shows one for us and one for europe ... ?? just thinking outside the box really

I was actually thinking about the same thing last night. Great idea, but what if we were to have a live stream...is there a certain amount of people maximum allowed viewing? For example, you know how at clubs theres always a sign describing the maximum occupancy...does the same work for internet servers? I agree that a live stream is our best hope but is anyone out really computer savvy and able to answer this?

And look, there's no one here trying to be elitist. At the end of the day you're either in or you're not. It's your choice and the people that are instrumental in making this happen by contributing, event planning, and whatever else needs to be done are of course the only ones who should reap the benefits. This isn't elitist, it's just fair.

By the way, the only way this could be pulled off for free would be if Damien (no pressure buddy) decides to do it for free or if we get some major corporations involved. These people are always hungry for advertising and with my connections I could very well arrange this. However, I would really hate to have these money-bags taking over the thing by posting banners and pop-ups all over the place. We could always do a little image thing in which we get some local businesses to contribute and then list their name and logo at the beginning and end of the concert. Kinda like "The first ever Eskimo-palooza was made possible by the hard-working people at ____ _____ _____ etc." And yes, Eskimo-palooza is more of a space filler and definitely not an actual title.

Oh and one last thing. In regards to the cost of traveling or even the cost of contributing your own cash to make this happen, don't ever think "I can't afford this." Instead, think to yourself "How can I afford this?" You see, when you say the first quote, you're immediately turning off any creativity and therefore your plans cease to exist. The second quote actually triggers your brain to think of creative ways to produce results and this is by far a much better state of mind. Let's all work together on this, atleast we'll know we tried. Anyone wanna talk to the site admin?

dboyd 06-04-2007 07:47 PM

everything has a cost.. u can't exactly ignore the question "how can i afford this?"

Yetzirah 06-04-2007 07:47 PM

the idea sounds lovely, i'd be a bit surprised though, if it worked out - but then again, i love to be surprised :icon_flow