The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien Rice (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   "Baby Sister" & "Famous Blue Raincoat" (Leonard Cohen) (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15461)

joe563 01-31-2008 12:10 AM

"Baby Sister" & "Famous Blue Raincoat" (Leonard Cohen)

Love "Baby Sister", but just heard "Famous Blue Raincoat" by Leonard Cohen and have to say the intros are almost identical. Wonder if this was intentional, be cool if Damien did a medley

Gatsby 01-31-2008 01:43 AM

he has a few similar songs to others, i think its intentional as none have been released..

groovin - my baby just cares for me (nina simone)

childish - bear neccessities (jungle book)

Fool - Ne Me Quitte Pas <i think> (jaques brel)

and theres others i cant think of..

cille 01-31-2008 01:07 PM

insane - radiohead: creep
no?

Closing_Doors 01-31-2008 01:14 PM

Apart from Fool, I'm not seeing any of these resemblances.

Baby Sister has a vaguely similiar choppiness to the guitar, but the actual progression is quite different.

And definitely not seeing Insane/Creep. :confused:

Gatsby 01-31-2008 01:22 PM

ah cmon ian!

Groovin is basically the exactly same music as the nina simone song, and you must hear the resemblence in childish/bear neccessities. I think he even did it as a medley before..

i think elephant is more similar to creep tho.

Spamlet 01-31-2008 06:41 PM

Rev is correct.

"Elephant" uses almost all of the same cord changes as "Creep" there was even a video of him playing them as a medley and about the only thing that changed was his melody and the speed at which they're each played. "Insane" doesn't have any of them in common.

Some have also accused Damo of the ol' Everclear/Cypress Hill plagiarizing oneself trick with "Cold Water" and "Sleep, Don't Weep" but they're fascinatingly dis-similar in a number of nuanced ways (very apparent when played simultaneously.

And yes, op, "Baby Sister" is quite blatently a direct steal of FBR. Never one to hide his love of Cohen, Damo played it on KCRW when he was guest DJing once and described it as one of his all-time favorite songs.

She'sAlwaysDressedInWhite 01-31-2008 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spamlet
Rev is correct.

"Elephant" uses almost all of the same cord changes as "Creep" there was even a video of him playing them as a medley and about the only thing that changed was his melody and the speed at which they're each played. "Insane" doesn't have any of them in common.

Some have also accused Damo of the ol' Everclear/Cypress Hill plagiarizing oneself trick with "Cold Water" and "Sleep, Don't Weep" but they're fascinatingly dis-similar in a number of nuanced ways (very apparent when played simultaneously.

And yes, op, "Baby Sister" is quite blatently a direct steal of FBR. Never one to hide his love of Cohen, Damo played it on KCRW when he was guest DJing once and described it as one of his all-time favorite songs.

yeah he played it live a couple of times too

RonjaGirl 01-31-2008 08:59 PM

Does anyone have a copy of Famous Blue Raincoat from Damien? I'd love to hear him sing it. Thanks in advance!!! :wave:

cille 01-31-2008 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revelate

Yes yes that's what I meant, sorry!

Closing_Doors 01-31-2008 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revelate
ah cmon ian!

Groovin is basically the exactly same music as the nina simone song, and you must hear the resemblence in childish/bear neccessities. I think he even did it as a medley before..

I can see the similarities between the chorus of Elephant and the middle of Creep in the vocals (but not in the chords as Spamlet suggests). I'm not familiar with the Nina Simone song (at least I can't think of it off the top of my head) but Childish/Bear Necessities? I genuinely don't see it!

Nine 01-31-2008 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cille
insane - radiohead: creep
no?

elephant - creep

absolutely undeniable!

Constanze 02-01-2008 01:02 PM

i always found: rat within the grain- streets of london.... i just feel like they are sounding similar