The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Musician Stuff (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What are you learning to play? (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8443)

PenguinBoy 05-19-2005 08:40 PM

What are you learning to play?

Just thought it'd be kinda cool to hear what ur trying to get ur fingers round

i'm trying to learn cocaine blues, by the revererend gary davis

and a couple of secconds ago i had a crack at sweet baby james, by james taylor
beautiful song

PenguinBoy 05-19-2005 08:43 PM

ah! u can't delete threads, it was an accident, Moderator... delete this!

Closing_Doors 05-19-2005 09:52 PM

I was printing a load of stuff today so I brought my guitar downstairs and played along with a load of MP3s I've never normally have a chance to play along with (burner's broken so they're stuck on my hard drive!)....anyway so far today I've tabbed and learned:

Bell X1 - Monkey 61
Bell X1 - Still Selling Shoes
Bell X1 - Here She Comes
Damien Rice - Front Door
Damien Rice - We Kill/Lazy Situation
Damien Rice - Childish

and between today and yesterday I've had to learn the following to teach my students :

Gary Moore - Still Got the Blues
Metallica - Fade to Black (already kind of knew...does this count!?)
Some song by Arch Enemy
Green Day - Holiday/Boulevard Of Broken Dreams

I was gonna have a crack at damien's version of Heaven Belongs to you and Bell X1's Reacharound (in case you haven't noticed I'm going through a Damo/Bellies phase today!)...but then I got bored. :smiley36:

I haven't learned anything that required actually sitting down and practising in a while....anyone any recommendations ? My electric's not feeling the best at the moment (fell over and cracked the tuning heads) so preferably something acoustic!

Beevers_uk 05-19-2005 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Closing_Doors

Gary Moore - Still Got the Blues

He rules!!!
I learnty Scar tissue by rhcp
Johnny be good, by chuck berry - cause its a classic,
and im startin to learn Road tippin to annoy Jen :smiley2: :p

coreybyrnes 05-19-2005 10:16 PM

working on knuckle down by ani difranco... god i love playing her songs... so much more interesting and challenging that straight strumming... anyone can strum!

*Killian* 05-20-2005 09:41 AM

at the moment

hendrix - purple haze
hendrix - voodoo child
air - cherry blossom girl
radiohead - karma police

*Killian* 05-20-2005 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Closing_Doors
I was printing a load of stuff today so I brought my guitar downstairs and played along with a load of MP3s I've never normally have a chance to play along with (burner's broken so they're stuck on my hard drive!)....anyway so far today I've tabbed and learned:

Bell X1 - Monkey 61
Bell X1 - Still Selling Shoes
Bell X1 - Here She Comes
Damien Rice - Front Door
Damien Rice - We Kill/Lazy Situation
Damien Rice - Childish

any chance u could post those Bell X1 tabs?

Juzzza 05-20-2005 10:36 AM

I've added a few new covers to my set recently:

Narrow escape ~ Ray Lamontagne
So beautiful ~ Pete Murray
You're beautiful ~ James Blunt
Insane ~ Damien Rice
How come ~ Ray Lamontagne

kel :) 05-20-2005 11:21 AM

startin to learn road trippin cause of carl!!

he'll kill me if i dont!

shane_b 05-20-2005 11:28 AM

john williams - romance
beethovan - moonlight sonata

and currently looking to find songs to play to my gf when she is back home to romance her :P any ideas ?

*Killian* 05-20-2005 11:30 AM

^ryan adam's version of wonderwall dude....she'll melt :smiley20:

Closing_Doors 05-20-2005 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Killian*
any chance u could post those Bell X1 tabs?

I'll try but starting Monday I've got 6 exams in 6 days (yes, including Saturday :smiley19: ) and 2 more the week after, so for the moment it's study study study.....

They're not that difficult, here's a rough guide:

Here She Comes - chords include C G D and Em (in various orders)
Still Selling Shoes - chords include F G C (in various orders)

I've already half forgotten them - I only played them through once and tabbed them at the same time! It's mainly just easy chord work and the odd hammer on (except for Monkey 61 of course!). Anyway that should be enough to get you started!

*Killian* 05-20-2005 11:39 AM

cool, thanks anyway, best of luck in the 'aul exams

Beevers_uk 05-20-2005 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shane_b
john williams - romance
beethovan - moonlight sonata

and currently looking to find songs to play to my gf when she is back home to romance her :P any ideas ?

Yeah, by john williams again, Cavatina! amazing on spanish guitar. erm... Theres a romance annon, i dunno who its by... butits beautifull. i wil try to find it and if i do, i will posot you it!!

Beevers_uk 05-20-2005 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kel :)
startin to learn road trippin cause of carl!!

he'll kill me if i dont!

*shakes fist* grrrr, have you got it yet??

maccas81 05-20-2005 04:36 PM

i'm learning 'summerfly' at the moment, im not sure who its by, its been performed by loads of irish artists, cos me and ali* are gonna sing it in cork!!

kel :) 05-20-2005 04:42 PM

hey thats really cool shaun!! where are ye singin?? ya never told me you could sing!!!

maccas81 05-20-2005 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kel :)
hey thats really cool shaun!! where are ye singin?? ya never told me you could sing!!!

er well im not a great singer but i do try!!

maccas81 05-20-2005 04:47 PM

and a venue has not been decided probably somewhere in the UCC area hopefully!

kel :) 05-20-2005 04:58 PM

good job thats so cool!! when is this all happenin?? and whats the reason! tell all!!

maccas81 05-20-2005 05:00 PM

theres no reason cept ali likes the song and so do i and shes a class singer, so i said i'll play it on guitar and she can sing it when i go to cork! there could be a record deal somwhere! but if theres ever an official public performance, youll be hte first to know!

kel :) 05-20-2005 05:07 PM

yay, thank u hunny!!:smiley31:

maccas81 05-20-2005 05:14 PM

youll be guest of honour, and if you can play or sing, you can join us for a number!

kel :) 05-20-2005 05:23 PM

whohoo...ooh im excited!!

Beevers_uk 05-20-2005 05:33 PM

I was wonderin if any one has seen the film croosroads?? and could you tell me if so where i can find the tabs for the main guitar dual i think it is, where Stevie ray just throws of his guitar and storms out??
Thank you!! :smiley20:

PS it starts of with rapid hammerons and pull ofs, then goes to arrpegios that go from one octave to another!! i think... then.... a climax of rapid scales startin at the too and walkin down to hammers on and pull off?? I dunno if that helped. then i think stacatto on the two top strings and finish. (With a few other bits in between)

Beevers_uk 05-20-2005 10:11 PM

Pearl Jam - Crazy Mary.

WhatAmIDarling? 05-20-2005 11:11 PM

"Behind Blue Eyes" and "The Blowers Daughter"!

Oisin 05-21-2005 12:00 AM

what i'm learning

I'm trying to learn "NEON" by John Mayer and "Why Georgia". These are the two best riffs i've heard this year, love the acoustic sound on WG and i have an acoustic version of neon on video too!

Ranting Thespian 05-21-2005 01:31 AM

I havn't been really learning any new songs this week. I've been too busy getting surgery done (they did inner ear surgery on my left ear wednesday. It went perfect, but I have to have this cotton in my ear for a day or two, and all the scars are hidden under my ear lobe, and the stitches are a new type, they just disolve and fade away, so no pulling them out, yay). The other part of my time is finishing a new song I am writing. The last song I fully learned was last week, I learned 2 new songs from the new dmb album, Stand Up and Dream Girl.

PenguinBoy 05-21-2005 06:00 PM

sheebeg and sheemore, and angie :D oh eyah