The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   www.EskimoFriends.com (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   GIFs in avatars (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15596)

SisterMidnight 11-30-2008 05:23 PM

GIFs in avatars

would it be possible to change forum settings so that we are allowed to have animated GIFs in our avatars?

we used to have that capability in the old (old) forum and it was a much more basic setup than this one. i mean, even damienrice.com forum members can use GIFs..

options say it allows GIFs for avatars, but i think the required file size is so small that it's not possible to have animated ones.

would it be possible to upgrade that capability? pretty please? :angel7:

Wheels 11-30-2008 10:57 PM

I'm pretty sure it's still the same size as it was before... and we had them... How big is the gif you're trying to use??

SisterMidnight 12-01-2008 06:09 AM

it's 100x96, 78 kb..

but when i uploaded it to another forum it resized it automatically based on their specified dimensions (90x90) and size limits only applied to avatars being uploaded from your computer. if it's hosted on photobucket, for instance, they don't restrict file size since it's not impacting the forum's bandwidth.

it seems the file size limit here is 19.5 kb, no matter whether it's uploaded or linked to. got this message: Remote file is too large

most animated GIFs are bigger than that..

Wheels 12-01-2008 02:04 PM

Hmm... I had a look, but can't find where I can change anything... will get the big boss man to have a look at it when he gets a chance.

.em. 12-02-2008 07:09 AM

When I tried to upload a GIF as my avatar, I got the message that animated images weren't allowed.

Not that that really helps. :/

Wheels 12-02-2008 11:57 AM

Hmm... admin has more options than me, so he might be able to do it. I can't see why not... but let's see.

administrator 12-02-2008 09:46 PM

hey. i've just changed the settings so you should be able to use animated avatars now... and i doubled the size of the files allowed... let me know if it works for you now?

SisterMidnight 12-03-2008 12:30 AM

nope, still didn't work, em. thanks for trying, though.

this is what dr.com forum says: (i have an account i just never post there..)

Your avatar must be no bigger than 90 pixels by 90 pixels in size. Uploaded avatars from your computer must be no larger than 50 KB.
The following file types are allowed: gif,jpg,jpeg,png

it worked on another forum i tried it on too, and their guidelines are this:

Your avatar must be no bigger than 130 pixels by 130 pixels in size. Uploaded avatars from your computer must be no larger than 1000 KB.
The following file types are allowed: gif,jpg,jpeg,png

i think these are both invision boards (isn't that what the igloo used to be?)

is there some option that if pics are linked there are no size limits? that way it won't hurt the site's bandwidth, sort of like posting youtube videos doesn't, since they're hosted elsewhere.

anyway, it's way cool we get to have mahoosive 200x200 avis now! :hello2:

.em. 12-03-2008 04:33 AM

It works for me now!

Edit:

Make sure you are clicking on Edit Avatar instead of edit profile picture. That's what I was doing, and is why it wasn't working. XP

SisterMidnight 12-04-2008 03:25 AM

oh no i know that, i'm editing the avatar not the pic (i've never messed with that profile pic thingy)

still my GIF is too big at 100x96 and 78kb.. ironically that's the sized down version which was larger (142x136) but only 59kb :smiley24: anyway it won't take either of them.

yours must be tiny.

cille 12-12-2008 12:08 PM

^^ yay, the dancing strawberry is back, great em! :)

Wheels 12-12-2008 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterMidnight (Post 340752)
oh no i know that, i'm editing the avatar not the pic (i've never messed with that profile pic thingy)

still my GIF is too big at 100x96 and 78kb.. ironically that's the sized down version which was larger (142x136) but only 59kb :smiley24: anyway it won't take either of them.

yours must be tiny.

What does it say when you try?

SisterMidnight 12-13-2008 12:46 AM

thanks wheels. it says:

Quote:

Remote file is too large
i don't think i can make it any smaller, at least not small enough to make a difference. that's why i wondered about the option for no file size limits on pics hosted elsewhere, that's how those other forums work, but they're not vbulletin, so i don't know if that's an option..

anyway tis nice i can have starry night full-size now instead of having to crop out a little piece of it :)

Wheels 12-13-2008 01:03 AM

Hmm... is it not small enough for an avitar you upload to here? Cos that file size was increased.

SisterMidnight 12-13-2008 02:37 PM

nope, it's still too big. here it is:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...t/metro2-2.gif

File Size: 78 kb - 100 x 96

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ght/metro2.gif

File Size: 59 kb - 142 x 136

it's from the silent film metropolis by fritz lang, i recently rewatched it, such an amazing film.

i'm not sure why the larger dimension is smaller file size, maybe it's the compression? either way it's okay, like i said the new upload limits are great, because you can have more detailed avi's now that really show up the art :)

Wheels 12-13-2008 03:40 PM

:) :)