The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien Rice (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   new song - Under the Tongue (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16286)

stevefox42 03-13-2010 06:48 PM

I'm excited for a soundtrack release including this song. Or a single.

cille 03-13-2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verenita (Post 357208)
really? "she gives i get without giving anything to me" and also "thereīs no need for me"... it sound a happy feeling to me... at least, it was happy when i felt it (the "he gives" part) :)

To me, those are sort of bitter lines, or am I missing something?

jasmineha 03-14-2010 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cille (Post 357216)

Quote:

Originally Posted by verenita (Post 357208)
really? "she gives i get without giving anything to me" and also "thereīs no need for me"... it sound a happy feeling to me... at least, it was happy when i felt it (the "he gives" part) :)

it was always a love triangle song to me, and the girl chooses the other guy. at least that was my take.

cille, I agree with you. "there's no need for me" always reminds me of the line in "Accidental Babies" when he says "what about me?" which tears my heart apart everytime....

borneoman 03-14-2010 07:10 AM

^ I think the general vibe in Dogs, the rhythm of the song is kinda happy... and the lyrics are happy except the last part, I also think the 'no need for me' line means she stays with the 'wolf that keeps her warm' and doesn't need him... but I'm always confused about how many people are in the song, 3? 4?

verenita 03-14-2010 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cille (Post 357216)

yes, but they are bittersweet to me. i mean... itīs like looking at someone and feeling happy just by watching at this someone, cause whatever they do has a good effect on you...

the "thereīs no need for me" part sounds like... thereīs nothing else that i need than that someone offers in a natural way and i get what makes me feel a better one... i donīt know.
to me, itīs about that kind of good effects people take on the other ones without even thinking about it. to see some genuine light on somebody else that makes yourself brighter...

but, mybe itīs just me :p

verenita 03-14-2010 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasmineha (Post 357219)
it was always a love triangle song to me, and the girl chooses the other guy. at least that was my take.

cille, I agree with you. "there's no need for me" always reminds me of the line in "Accidental Babies" when he says "what about me?" which tears my heart apart everytime....

Quote:

Originally Posted by borneoman (Post 357226)
^ I think the general vibe in Dogs, the rhythm of the song is kinda happy... and the lyrics are happy except the last part, I also think the 'no need for me' line means she stays with the 'wolf that keeps her warm' and doesn't need him... but I'm always confused about how many people are in the song, 3? 4?

maybe i misunderstood that line... what does this "for me" specific part mean? as i said, itīs thereīs nothing else i need and not the other way around, like thereīs nobody who needs me... (oh, how i do dislike prepositions... no matter which language is :D)

borneoman 03-14-2010 05:55 PM

no need for me= the girl doesn't need him, he is not necessary :smiley18:

would be like 'ella no me necesita' :smiley28:

verenita 03-14-2010 06:08 PM

yes, i know now... :oops: that makes a totally new sense to me...
forget about all that s**t that i said :(

jasmineha 03-14-2010 06:27 PM

Quote:

I always thought it was 3. that was just my take. although in the beginning he says "she lives with an orange tree AND the girl that does yoga.." and then the second verse mentions "little brother"... I don't think those two people are necessarily "characters" in the song. you know?
Also-- I've been listening to "What This Night is For" and he has something similiar going in it, "she, we, I, he, we..." (I'm not sure totally sure about it either...)

Quote:

Originally Posted by verenita (Post 357248)
yes, i know now... :oops: that makes a totally new sense to me...
forget about all that s**t that i said :(

It's alright Verenita! I hope it didn't ruin the song for you! :)

verenita 03-14-2010 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasmineha (Post 357249)
It's alright Verenita! I hope it didn't ruin the song for you! :)

well, it gives me a totally new perspective... and itīs not the best one ;)
but, yes... itīs alright. i guess i want to believe the fact that it was an unselfish feeling, but it turned out it is not... at all!

Cerque 03-15-2010 12:05 AM

back to the song under the tongue then?

verenita 03-15-2010 12:14 AM

alright ;)
the more i listen to the song, the more i like the "lower" damien :)

jasmineha 03-15-2010 12:39 AM

okay, so back on topic. does anyone understand the communion part? I'm not religious, so I don't really understand. (how it connects with the rest of the song..) and also, I thought you confessed to a priest, but he says nuns. maybe I'm just ignorant. :)

verenita 03-15-2010 12:49 AM

maybe they are just metaphors... but i donīt know either, even though i am religious.

Cerque 03-15-2010 05:29 PM

Nah! Nun rhymes. Priest doesn't.

SilentNight 03-16-2010 12:07 AM

Quote:

sounds really confusing to me too. happy or sad, he might not know himself. even till this day, "What If I'm Wrong" is still his theme.

Keep searching, never stop, not even on the top of Himalayas though i hope he will never try to get there. God is Truth. Lies are from the decieving spirits.

jasmineha 03-16-2010 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerque (Post 357275)
Nah! Nun rhymes. Priest doesn't.

those were my exact thoughts Cerque!!! I laughed when I read this. :smiley32:

borneoman 03-19-2010 01:33 PM

I haven't received my copy yet, and I ordered more than 3 weeks ago... are B&N that slow the International shipping?? Did it arrive for anyone buying from abroad??

cille 03-19-2010 08:50 PM

yup, we got it after like 1― week for Denmark.

jenny55744 03-31-2010 06:56 AM

Hi there,
Thanks for the information on this song. I was so excited to see there was a new song by Damien out! I ended up buying and downloading the song from Amazon.
Thanks again,
Jenny

borneoman 04-14-2010 04:56 PM

finally the CD arrived!!!!!!! It only took 6 weeks :) but it's a really nice one!!!! lots of nice pics of Ireland, including an spectacular one of the Giant's Causeway, also a part with lots of lil pictures of people, and there's one of Damien with a woman, this Moira Brennan I presume...

MANGO 04-14-2010 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borneoman (Post 357950)
finally the CD arrived!!!!!!! It only took 6 weeks :) but it's a really nice one!!!! lots of nice pics of Ireland, including an spectacular one of the Giant's Causeway, also a part with lots of lil pictures of people, and there's one of Damien with a woman, this Moira Brennan I presume...

oh! I'll have to pick up !!!!!
Thanks for new information :) !!