The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Music (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   "Winter" Albums (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11626)

Lemmy 10-29-2006 02:00 AM

"Winter" Albums

I'm about to go into experiencing my first real winter (I'm a California girl), and that includes snow and everything. i was wondering if anybody has some good 'wintery' music thats kind of floaty and happy....i realized scandanavian artists work really well for some reason.
my suggestions:
TAKK-Sigur Ros
Quiet is the new Loud--Kings of Convenience
that's basically it....if anybody agrees with me that music has a season and wants to suggest something i'd be delighted. :-)

flyaway 10-29-2006 12:43 PM

I completely agree with the musical season things, I would say I agree with your choices too. My mind has gone a little bit blank at this moment in time, but I will be back with some kind of suggestion! ( ) by Sigur Ros is also an amazing winter album, (especially Untitled 1 and Untitled 3) You should also check out the video for Untitled 1 if you haven't already. Incredibly wintery, tragic, and beautiful :) It's by Floria Sigismondi, If you google her there'll be a link to a video somewhere.

soda 10-29-2006 03:52 PM

beth gibbons & rustin man - out of season (represents change from autum to winter)
tindersticks - curtains (like a warm blanket)
nick drake - way to blue, introduction to (also a perfect sunday morning album)

cille 10-29-2006 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemmy
i realized scandanavian artists work really well for some reason.

Then you might like Thomas Dybdahl - he made an october trilogy, consisting of (schock! awe!) 3 albums that are all really lovely and melancholic.

soda 10-29-2006 04:45 PM

or, try the norwegian Minor Minority, Vidar Vang or Cinnamoon

hazey 10-29-2006 05:37 PM

Yep, blessed be Scandinavia and its winter wonderland.

Björk - Vespertine
múm (Icelandic) - Finally We Are No One / Summer Make Good
Efterklang (Danish) - Tripper

Those aren't particularly "happy" but make up for it in the "floaty" department....and yeah, the entire Sigur Rós catalogue. And maybe throw in some Emiliana Torrini in the mix; Fisherman's Woman is lovely.

I'd also recommend a non Scandinavian band Grizzly Bear and their recent release Yellow House; an extermely lush and warm album, your perfect blanket for the cold winter weather. Perhaps Tom Waits' Alice album too; it's more in the lyrics of particular songs though, than in the music itself.

cille 10-29-2006 08:09 PM

Efterklang? F*ck me sideways. I actually think one of the members is from the old famous town of Jystrup, but I'll have to double check. I didn't know they were out and about so much.

Under Byen are allright too.

hazey 10-29-2006 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cille
F*ck me sideways.

This one goes straight to Supercille's Hall of Famed Expressions.

Quote:

I actually think one of the members is from the old famous town of Jystrup

I do too. Mainly because you told me the story before.

Wasn't Viggo Morgensmorgasbrodstern from Jystrup too?

Quote:

I didn't know they were out and about so much.

I don't think they are, but that's what Last.fm (and friends with cool musical taste) are for.

Quote:

Under Byen are allright too.

Indeedio.

Lemmy 10-30-2006 01:50 AM

oooh...these all sound great, now i just need some money in my itunes account and i'm set for the winter..... :icon_sunn

gbs3769 10-30-2006 02:23 PM

I usually glide into a Trip Hop mood during the winters. I'll end up listening to a lot of Portishead, Massive Attack, Morcheeba, Hooverphonic, Goldfrapp, Zero 7, Thievery Corporation, Lamb and Nightmares on Wax.

But my favorite album for the Winter is Santessa's Delirium.

- Matt