The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien Rice (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The meaning of The blower's daughter (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9619)

natalia 11-14-2005 10:25 PM

The meaning of The blower's daughter

I am from croatia, and my english is not very well. so i don't understand what means "The blower's daughter". Thanx

#Ian# 11-14-2005 10:47 PM

Hi Natalia,

The story goes that Damien had a crush on the daughter of his clarinet or flute teacher, I can't remember, you blow a clarinet.

Ranting Thespian 11-15-2005 02:26 AM

Clarinet teacher. Damien actualy plays Clarinet on O.

<=== played clarinet for 4 years

Johan PV 11-15-2005 09:46 AM

a clarinet?
it's a joke?

Closing_Doors 11-15-2005 11:03 AM

^^ What's a joke!?

He does play clarinet, and the Blower's Daughter was his clarinet teacher's daughter, as said by other posters.

Ranting Thespian 11-16-2005 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johan PV
a clarinet?
it's a joke?

huh?

misty 11-17-2005 06:38 AM

when I first heard the song title : 'Blower's Daughter' , first, I thought it was the opposite of 'Whistler's Mother'. You know, that famous painting in Mr.Bean The movie. Then, second, I thought it must be the name of another painting made by the same artist who did Whistler's Mother. See the connection - blower and whistler, mother and daughter.
Pardon me, I'm getting older. And I think too much :smiley23:

lotty 11-18-2005 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misty
when I first heard the song title : 'Blower's Daughter' , first, I thought it was the opposite of 'Whistler's Mother'. You know, that famous painting in Mr.Bean The movie. Then, second, I thought it must be the name of another painting made by the same artist who did Whistler's Mother. See the connection - blower and whistler, mother and daughter.
Pardon me, I'm getting older. And I think too much :smiley23:

Before I read this web site and discovered what the title meant (see FAQ)... i thought, blower - was like a blow-in in town (as in, some one who drifts from town to town), only the object of Damien's affections being the blow-in's daughter.... i thought my theory was good enough until i discovered it was written about the daughter of his clarinet teacher...

Jarmuschrules 11-18-2005 02:30 PM

I thought it was about something ruder.. ahem...BJ?

Yetzirah 11-18-2005 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarmuschrules
I thought it was about something ruder.. ahem...BJ?

:smiley24: :smiley36: interesting thought :smiley22: :D

PenguinBoy 11-18-2005 05:02 PM

whistler's mother... is by WHISTLER. James Whistler lol.

that's a clever link, maybe damo didn't realise it himself. or maybe it was intentional, still clever though! i like.

i thought it was about the daughter of a glass blower.

gomezxico 11-19-2005 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lotty
Before I read this web site and discovered what the title meant (see FAQ)... i thought, blower - was like a blow-in in town (as in, some one who drifts from town to town), only the object of Damien's affections being the blow-in's daughter.... i thought my theory was good enough until i discovered it was written about the daughter of his clarinet teacher...

that actually fits I think. what a different way of looking at it. i like it.