The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien Rice (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   "I Don't Want to Change You" Is Supposed to Be Released Today, 9/22 (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17251)

mario_d 09-22-2014 04:17 PM

"I Don't Want to Change You" Has Been Released
 
Available here courtesy of NPR:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/20...40923#playlist

borneoman 09-22-2014 05:17 PM

I think I posted about it on another thread... A while ago Zane Lowe said he was gonna premiere it tomorrow 23/9

But now, if you go to his website it says 24/9 so wednesday

mario_d 09-22-2014 05:30 PM

This is not confidence instilling.

Are we sure the album is actually complete yet? Warner initially didn't know what the bonus track would be. The single is two days late now...

borneoman 09-22-2014 05:38 PM

the original premiere was the 23 not today

on Zane Lowe's site it says tomorrow theres a concert or something special, guess thats why the premiere is on Wed, but thats all dpeculation on my side

but actually we dont know if it's gonna go on air/on sale on itunes, if it's gonna be released later, if there's gonna be a physical Cd, b-sides, we know nothing!!

do physical cds still exist??? very very few artists do them now Id say

mattministrator 09-22-2014 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mario_d (Post 375052)
This is not confidence instilling.

Are we sure the album is actually complete yet? Warner initially didn't know what the bonus track would be. The single is two days late now...

I have trust enough in Warner and Damien that nobody involved would have taken the steps we've seen (album announcement, website relaunch, tour announcement and ticket sale) if there wasn't a complete album. In a different thread you suggested (or passed on the rumour) that the album had been completed for a good number of months and Damien might just be struggling to strike a deal on his terms. As much as I want to hear the new song, part of me is also happy that the professionalisation of this release hasn't come full circle yet and there are still some uncertainties and possible surprises.

mario_d 09-22-2014 06:56 PM

Eh, not so much, Matt. I mean the recording can be complete but production not done.

Dave Matthews Band recorded their most recent album in the Winter/Spring 2012. They released it in September 2012. They actually released a song in like August (Drunken Soldier) with a lyric on it that didn't exist when the full album was released a month later. They were still working in post-production and made a minor adjustment to the song, using a different vocal track recording. This is not unheard of.

Essentially, it was like if My Favourite Faded Fantasy on the album ends up having the non-falsetto vocal track that's on the youtube teaser instead of the vocal track that was on the full track released on 9/8.

I'm not saying there won't be an album. But I'm wondering if it's actually finalized and locked in yet. It's still more than a month before release, they could easily be working on it and making some changes still.

mario_d 09-22-2014 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borneoman (Post 375053)
the original premiere was the 23 not today

I definitely saw somewhere saying the 22nd originally. Im not sure where, maybe that source was just mistaken.

glo32 09-22-2014 07:01 PM

The press release actually said that it would be available "later this month" and premiered on Zane Lowe on the 23rd. Maybe at BBC they had decided to air it on September 23 and then postponed it to the 24th.
But it was never supposed to be on the 22th...

"The first single “I Don't Want To Change You” will be available at the end of September and will make its premiere on “Zane Lowe” on Tuesday, September 23. "

mattministrator 09-22-2014 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mario_d (Post 375056)
I'm not saying there won't be an album. But I'm wondering if it's actually finalized and locked in yet. It's still more than a month before release, they could easily be working on it and making some changes still.

They might, though my personal guess is that it's already wrapped up. Your previous comment just sounded too conspirational to my ears ("not confidence instilling"). I see no obvious reason to doubt the existence and release of the album on the announced date, which (combined with him actually showing up in Berlin :-)) is all that matters to me at this point.

dawno 09-22-2014 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borneoman (Post 375053)

do physical cds still exist??? very very few artists do them now Id say

Well, since I pre-ordered the deluxe set with the wooden cd case, they'd better still exist! :D

Seriously, I don't purchase very many cds any longer, usually only for my very favourite artists. We also buy vinyl whenever available.

carrroline 09-22-2014 09:00 PM

The pictures from the Kex listening session on dr.com show people actually holding cds and wooden boxes. I'd say everything is finished and ready to ship.

eva_arg 09-22-2014 10:04 PM

there never was any "official" word that the new single would be out on the 22nd/23rd. Only some media reports saying Zane Lowe would premiere it on radio. There's nothing to worry about, of course the album is complete. Now for *that* you have an official date ;)

mario_d 09-22-2014 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattministrator (Post 375059)
They might, though my personal guess is that it's already wrapped up. Your previous comment just sounded too conspirational to my ears ("not confidence instilling"). I see no obvious reason to doubt the existence and release of the album on the announced date, which (combined with him actually showing up in Berlin :-)) is all that matters to me at this point.

I phrased that poorly.

I was trying to say it was concerning in regards to just how much chaos is going on right now. We know the album details weren't finalized when it was announced because of the TBD bonus song. I'm wondering if its the same old craziness behind the scenes or if things have become more professional this time around.

mario_d 09-22-2014 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carrroline (Post 375063)
The pictures from the Kex listening session on dr.com show people actually holding cds and wooden boxes. I'd say everything is finished and ready to ship.

This seems extremely unlikely given that a week ago they didn't even know what the bonus song was going to be.

Also, in the last ten years or so, the music industry has changed the timeline in order to combat piracy. Most of the "leaked" albums that got out weeks in advance were really just copies snuck out from the cd pressing or shipping companies. Now that stuff gets done much later in the process. It would be a bit unusual for them to have pressed actual CDs (not just media copies which are watermarked) over a month in advance.

borneoman 09-23-2014 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawno (Post 375060)
Well, since I pre-ordered the deluxe set with the wooden cd case, they'd better still exist! :D

Seriously, I don't purchase very many cds any longer, usually only for my very favourite artists. We also buy vinyl whenever available.

sorry I meant CD singles!!!!!!!! Even big record stores don´t sell them anymore

ohhh and yesterday I listened to Zane Low and yes, today there´s no normal program but a live special show with Ben Howard!!

Annaa09 09-23-2014 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carrroline (Post 375063)
The pictures from the Kex listening session on dr.com show people actually holding cds and wooden boxes. I'd say everything is finished and ready to ship.

Had the same thought! Also, I doubt there would be such a come back after eight years if they didn't have it all set...

eva_arg 09-23-2014 05:14 PM

Well, looks like it will be on Radio 1 tonight then

(15 sec preview)
http://instagram.com/p/tS0dT_lWkO/

Annaa09 09-23-2014 05:15 PM

They'll premiere it tonight on Radio 1 at 7pm! They've just posted it on Damien's Facebook page! Exciteddddd!! :D

Shillelagh 09-23-2014 06:43 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/stations/radio1

damien lisa 09-23-2014 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eva_arg (Post 375096)
Well, looks like it will be on Radio 1 tonight then

(15 sec preview)
http://instagram.com/p/tS0dT_lWkO/

sound very... familiar

Hannah25 09-23-2014 07:07 PM

The strings in the little clip immediately made me think of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQcYGx_jzlU

... sure the actual song won't though! :smiley36:

mattministrator 09-23-2014 07:09 PM

Was hoping to catch it at 7 sharp, but it seems to be buried inside the show and I have to run now. Chance of a recording, anyone? And is there any chance of album preorders getting the single as a free download, like with MFFF?

mattministrator 09-23-2014 07:12 PM

Probably not my smartest comment, but have we identified the song as an already known one yet? The preview sounds a lot like "The Box" to my ears.

damien lisa 09-23-2014 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hannah25 (Post 375100)
The strings in the little clip immediately made me think of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQcYGx_jzlU

... sure the actual song won't though! :smiley36:

haha, yep, that song

Agent99 09-23-2014 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattministrator (Post 375102)
Probably not my smartest comment, but have we identified the song as an already known one yet? The preview sounds a lot like "The Box" to my ears.

I was hoping for it to be 'No One Need Know.'

Nothing is jumping out as really familiar in the clip to me.

eva_arg 09-23-2014 07:19 PM

I don't know if they will play it today... Zane Lowe didn't mention anything yet and, as marti posted above, it's listed for the 24th on the BBC site. Maybe no one at radio 1 let Damien camp know the song was being pushed back to tomorrow

carrroline 09-23-2014 07:22 PM

^i think you might be right.

RenataAQP 09-23-2014 07:22 PM

i've been listening all this time and he hasn't mentioned a thing about Damien Rice; which makes me think it won't air today :'(

verenita 09-23-2014 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eva_arg (Post 375105)
I don't know if they will play it today... Zane Lowe didn't mention anything yet and, as marti posted above, it's listed for the 24th on the BBC site. Maybe no one at radio 1 let Damien camp know the song was being pushed back to tomorrow


my thoughts too.

Shillelagh 09-23-2014 07:45 PM

I'm done. This stinks


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content copyright © EskimoFriends.com 2002-today. Special thanks to Damien, Lisa, Tomo, Shane & Vyvienne.