The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Everything Else (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Name Origens (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1316)

Krystian 11-13-2003 07:59 PM

HEY EVERYONE!

ok my question for all of you is... what is the origen of your name...(haha im bored again, can ya tell [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]),for example is your name a family one.. or is there some special meaning behind it?

anywho...guess i should start..
there really is not too much reasoning/meaning behind my name, my mom wanted to name me Christian, but just decided to spell it "uniquely" [img]smileys/smiley14.gif[/img]

mierk 11-13-2003 08:01 PM

I don't know where my name came from, other than my parents just thought Mark sounded nice,but I just thought it was cool that we posted at the same time (see the pic thread) [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

brokenheart 11-13-2003 08:06 PM

Mine is very strange one,

Thats what my mum told me: One day my parent were driving on the street (we were still in Hong Kong at that time), my mum saw the shop called 'Hon Nic' (thats how it translate from Chinese), and my sister already called Connie, so they make my name started with 'C', and it ended up Conic.

Krystian 11-13-2003 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mierk
I I just thought it was cool that we posted at the same time (see the pic thread) [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

haha don't ya love when that happens [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Angela 11-13-2003 08:33 PM

My parents had planned on Katherine all along. They even had the name put on things already before my birth and somehow (must ask who and how) completely changed their mind and decided, seemingly out of the blue, on Angela. [img]smileys/smiley14.gif[/img]

katinka 11-14-2003 02:18 AM

my name is a russian name. it comes from catherina although my parents didn't know that at the time. funny thing is my sisters name is a swedish variant on catherina, and my grandmother (who died before i was born) was called catherina. all by accident. i only met one person in my life before who was named katinka as well. after i was born there was a song in holland about katinka, and so a lot of people still begin to sing that song when they here my name. and then they always say: "o, you've probably heard that song before?" [img]smileys/smiley12.gif[/img]

Smithy 11-14-2003 04:47 AM

Well I was going to be called Michelle cos the folks were convinced they'd get a girl (dunno why) so Nicholas it was someone said it means gift from the gods but I reckon it should mean stubborn old goat hehe

Tatevik 11-14-2003 05:02 AM

My one is very weird.... i was born in Armenia and Tatevik is such a common name over there, it means"to give wings" in Armenian!

katinka 11-14-2003 05:08 AM

that's beautiful! who do you give wings to?? mine means: pure.

eskimocat 11-14-2003 05:18 AM

cathleen - another c/katherine variation.
i have two aunts i'm named after - kathleen (kay) and katherine (kathy) - my folks just used the 'c' instead. that's a bit less common than with a 'k'.

cathleen is the english version of the irish 'caitlin' which is a version of cateline which is an old french form of Katherine - the Russian, Bulgarian and Macedonian form is Ekaterina - & 'Katinka' is the pet form of that...

From the Greek name Aikaterine. The etymology is debated: it could derive from the earlier Greek name Hekaterine, which came from hekateros "each of the two"; it could derive from the name of the goddess HECATE; it could be related to Greek aikia "torture"; or it could be from a Coptic name meaning "my consecration of your name". The Romans falsely derived it from Greek katharos "pure" and changed their spelling from Katerina to Katharina to reflect this. The name belonged to a 4th-century saint and martyr from Alexandria who was tortured on the famous Catherine wheel. This name was also borne by two empresses of Russia, including Catherine the Great, and by three of Henry VIII's wives.

thanks to google for that long-winded explanation [img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img]

Edited by: eskimocat

katinka 11-14-2003 05:22 AM

thanks eskimocat, now i feel related to you! [img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img]

daol20 11-14-2003 05:24 AM

Daragh means second born, and guess what???? Im the second born!![img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

eskimocat 11-14-2003 05:24 AM

oh, we all are in some way.
it's a small world.

cheers!

DaveG 11-14-2003 05:40 AM

hmmh....my mom fancied Davy Jones from the Monkees and thought that David was a really nice name.....quite simple and embarrassing really [img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]

Uno- X 11-14-2003 05:46 AM

Em says my name is an irish one. Giess that's pertty cool.

marina 11-14-2003 06:26 AM

marina....belonging to the sea and all that crap, even the closest sea to me is good old Ballybunion and thats about an hour away! My nan's name was Mary and my mom wanted something begining with M after her, must actually ask her where she got Marina from. Davey thats soooo cute hehe [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]. Ya Katinka i was thinking id never heard you name before, thats so unique!

DaveG 11-14-2003 06:30 AM

Ah Marina..........don't call me Davey with a "y", always feel like someone is taking the piss, when they do.....and I'm sure you're not doing that [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

katinka 11-14-2003 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marina
marina....belonging to the sea and all that crap

STOP STOP STOP HERE!!!

"you give me miles and miles of mountains, while i just ask for...."?? well?? well??

this ain't crap marina, this is the best meaning you could imagine...![img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

marina 11-14-2003 06:32 AM

[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

marina 11-14-2003 06:34 AM

aw Dave im sorry i just saw your post know, the lastsmiley was for Katinka. course im not taking the piss, i is a weeally sorry, forgiven?

DaveG 11-14-2003 06:40 AM

[img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img] Okay so!

marina 11-14-2003 06:46 AM

aaaawww chucks i is a happy again [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

Krystian 11-14-2003 09:55 AM

[img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img], whoa didn't think that I would get so many responses [img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img]thanks guys

ayco 11-14-2003 01:03 PM

I'm called Flora, 'cause of my mother. My father would have just called me Sarah, butI can live with Flora I guess. My name means something like "godess of flowers", which I personally like a lot. I've only met one other girl called Flora in my entire life. The one thing about my name I really like, is that there are that many shops called after me, héhé (Floralux, Floraland...) [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]But I hate it when people ask me whether I've got a sister called Fauna. Grrrr. [img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]

kristine 11-14-2003 01:43 PM

My mom was in the car on her way to the hospital to give birth to what she thought was going to be a boy...but I turned out to be a girl...(duh) and since she didn't have a name prepared, she named me "Kristine" after the last song she'd heard during the ride over the the hospital...

thanks for putting all your thought into that one mom! [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

pabl0o 11-14-2003 03:35 PM

not much explaining to do for me. my father's name was pablo and so was my grandfather and great grandfather. needless to say i'm not naming my kid pablo.

Aisling 11-14-2003 04:45 PM

aw i think you should.....my name is from my sisters great intelligent brain, apparently she had a dream that my mum would have a girl, and she did so they called me aisling (means dream/vision) Edited by: Aisling

gally45 11-14-2003 06:10 PM

I think I was called shane cause it rhymes with pain! and my sister is called blaithin which is the irish for little flower butwe call her weed! there's a trend their somewhere!

ali* 11-14-2003 06:26 PM

i was called alison because, well, i cant think of a name that rhymes with alison and there was no reason 4 it anyway. wat really sucks is i cant find out the origins of my surname-arnopp. weve tried all those places that research them but know ones really sure......

meh, its not like i loose sleep over it. speaking of sleep, ive 2 go singing at 9 in the mornig-singin=[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img] 9am=[img]smileys/smiley12.gif[/img]

tis_me_Tania 11-14-2003 06:46 PM

my name.. hmm. i asked my mom once long time ago, and she saidshe got it froma spanish tv soap opera.. where the main character was named "tania" and she was pretty, rich and very successful. i dont really seeall that in the near future for me but.. one can definitely hope..^.