The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Music (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Music of Benjamin Costello (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8380)

BenjaminCostello 05-11-2005 09:49 PM

Music of Benjamin Costello

Hello eskimo friends,

Emmett said it would be ok if I created a thread about my musical projects here in the "Other Music" forum. I am really grateful for the warm reception I have gotten here, both as a person and as a musician -- you guys are wonderful.

So, I thought I would create a thread to give you occasional updates on new recordings, or perhaps a place to make cover suggestions, etc.. I hope that no one minds. If I gauge there is no interest, I will just let it fall away.

Thanks again to everyone.

My website:

Alfie 05-11-2005 11:52 PM

Hi Benjamin ;)

I saw your previous threads and have been onto your site for a listen. I was really impressed with both the original songs and covers. You have a really good voice. I especially liked Field of Gold...it's such a moving song and you sang it almost as well as Sting. Did you design your own site...it's all very professional.

I see you've done a lot of Radiohead covers and am sure I read somewhere that you don't do Creep as it's a bit awkward to play (I may have got this wrong). You really should give it a go...it's such a great song. I would love to hear you sing it.

So when should we expect to hear Benjamin Costello's first single?

BenjaminCostello 05-12-2005 12:12 AM

Hey Alfie :)

Thanks for your comments. I did design my own site - I'm constantly messing with it - it's the only site I get to work on where I have complete control, which means I'm never totally happy with it hehe :)

I should give Creep a try - it's so tiring, but I do love singing it. Maybe I will rip out an agonizing and rough recording of it and post it here - stay tuned.

If I have my way, i will have an album within a year - I still have a lot of song writing to do though, so we'll see. Wish me luck...

Peace, Benjamin

Alfie 05-12-2005 12:25 AM

I do wish you lots of luck. I'm sure you will make it and I'll look forward to hearing Creep.

AshleyN217 05-12-2005 02:37 AM

Hi Benjamin,

I think that many of us are impressed with your work! I'm looking forward to your postings and updates...good idea on the thread! I also think you should try singing "Creep." It is definitely one of my favorites. Good luck with it if you decide to attempt it! ;0)

Ashley

dizzy cannon 05-12-2005 03:00 AM

i love all of your stuff i really like your voice and ur covers are amazing i love your verison of foolish games and just dont think ill ever get over you (for the life of me i cannot remember is that whole lyric is the title and i cant find my cd to check it! haha) gotta keep updates on when you get new songs posted on your website and i will so buy ur cd when it comes out!!!

Uno- X 05-12-2005 07:32 AM

ha I should have started a thread about ya Ben the night I heard you on the radio. ur ****en amazing!!!

BenjaminCostello 05-12-2005 12:34 PM

Thanks to everyone for their comments :):)

NEW RECORDINGS

After watching the video of Coldplay's "The Scientist" for the first time, I was immediately moved to sing and record it. I also had the pleasure of doing a little casual recording with my good friend Chris Schoch, and we captured Iron & Wine's "Fever Dream" -- enjoy :)

Listen to "The Scientist"

Listen to "Fever Dream"

Peace.
Benjamin

Juzzza 05-12-2005 01:35 PM

Hey Ben, as I have said elsewhere, I think you have an amazing voice and are a future talent in the making...

I would love to hear your version of Jeff Buckley's 'Lover, you should've come over' or perhaps even 'Grace'... you have the range and the quality.

Shame I didn't know you were in New York, I was there last week recording in Manhattan, it would have been cool to meet up and jam/have a beer.

I may be back later in the year for a show and radio slot, if you wanna sort something out let me know.

I look forward to your album.

dramaking 05-13-2005 06:04 PM

i've listened to the scientist! it's really great, i really like your voice!

kel :) 05-13-2005 06:17 PM

this thread is an excellent idea!! i love all of your stuff and i think u are so so talented and have really made the effort and got out there so i wish u tyhe best of luck and i cant wait for the debut album!!just listenin to "the scientist" and your voice is beautiful....like liquid and so lovely to listen to!

BenjaminCostello 05-27-2005 04:31 AM

Hello friends - I released a new original song on my site. It's called "Just for now" and if you are interested in listening, here is a link.

Just for Now (mp3)

Peace,
Benjamin

BenjaminCostello 05-29-2005 10:43 PM

This afternoon I felt like recording, so I learned and recorded "Such Great Heights" -- my cover of the Iron & Wine cover of the Postal Service song. :)

It's not earth-shattering, or remotely original, but it was fun to do - so I thought I would share.

Such Great Heights

Peace,
Benjamin

Rovena 05-31-2005 07:48 PM

Ohh Benjamin!!! It's great!...Sweet, beautiful..the piano gives the songs a special touch.
Keep on sharing your recordings with us!
It's lovely!

biggmalique 06-03-2005 08:10 PM

Hey Ben. :)

I love your cover of The Scientist.

..and great site btw. ;)

Little Fox 06-03-2005 08:27 PM

I really like your songs! I've created a playlist of your songs with my media player, and listening to it almost every day! Hope you'll publish a cd one of these days...

BenjaminCostello 06-03-2005 10:18 PM

Thank you everyone so much!! I really hope to have a CD out -- need to write some more songs first -- it's the hardest thing for me, but the support here has definitely been encouraging -- inspirational even. So, thank you everyone so much :)

I'm planning a live webcast concert sometime in the next month or so - if anyone is interested in tuning in, let me know and I'll make sure to take your time-zone into account ;)

Peace,
Benjamin

biggmalique 06-10-2005 10:51 PM

A webcast concert sounds great!

Looking forward to it. :)

BenjaminCostello 07-30-2005 04:52 PM

Hello everyone! :)

Thanks to the wonderful suggestion of Rosey, I have done a new cover of the Coldplay B-side "I'll See You Soon." I fell in love with the song immediately and couldn't resist covering it -- I thought it was appropriate since X&Y has recently been released.

The recording I found was all acoustic guitar, so in a flip on my M.O. -- I took and made it more produced in my covered version. I hope you like it :)

I'll See You Soon

Peace,
Benj

mari 07-30-2005 07:20 PM

How brilliant of Rosey to suggest you cover 'I'll see you soon'! And how brilliant of you, for doing it so... beautifully!:smiley20:

Little Fox 10-13-2005 06:06 AM

Just found two new covers on Benjamin's website! I think they are great, go & check them out: http://benjamincostello.com/main.php !! :)

PenguinBoy 10-13-2005 11:02 PM

where's ben been, he hasn't posted in aaages

Cali 10-14-2005 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PenguinBoy
where's ben been, he hasn't posted in aaages

i know, i've been listening to such great heights and vincent, great covers :smiley20:

BenjaminCostello 10-14-2005 12:28 AM

Hey guys - thanks for checking up on me. :) I have been working on my album, and it's eating up almost all of my spare time, and I've been playing more. I have some pretty cool updates coming to my site this weekend -- one of which has to do with Damien Rice - but with a twist :).

In the meantime, here are the links to the most recent recordings I have released if you're interested:

Vincent
(Don McLean Cover - mp3)

Brightest
(Copeland Cover (the band not Aaron :smiley2: - mp3)

I hope you all are well :)
Peace,
Benjamin

gomezxico 10-14-2005 12:33 AM

Cool!!!

Welcome back:smiley20:

mari 10-14-2005 06:02 PM

I'm still loving 'such great heights' and 'I'll see you soon' and 'no surprises' . All gorgeous:smiley20: .

BenjaminCostello 10-24-2005 10:15 PM

New Recording/Video: Older Chests-Redemption Song

Hello my cold-weather companions :)

I am really excited to be sharing this new project, especially here.

My friend Keiran and I wove together the Damien Rice song "Older Chests" and the Bob Marley song "Redemption Song" into one duet, and we are both very humbled and pleased with the outcome. It's really crazy the way that the two songs fit together, and the process of arranging it and recording it was amazing. I hope you like it :)

http://benjamincostello.com/ocrs/ocrs_trans.png
Visit the Site

Benjamin :)

Ms Lady 10-24-2005 10:48 PM

Benjamin....that is truly amazing and beautiful music. I love it.

gomezxico 10-24-2005 10:48 PM

the mixture of the two songs is nice. I particularly like the overlapping sections.

Soleillily 10-25-2005 02:18 AM

Breathtaking....:smiley27: