The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien Rice (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Damien Unreleased etc... hmm (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14319)

Ithilsul 06-02-2007 10:06 AM

Damien Unreleased etc... hmm

So it's no big secret that Damien has tons of songs that can only be heard live, and many of those unreleased songs i think are the best ones. I'm wondering if he keeps studio recordings of songs like Face, Lonely Soldier, Bottom Shelf, etc, and if he does... will they ever be released or leaked? Wondering this because after Elliott Smith died they went and found all of his unreleased music, makes me wonder what else Damien has that he hasn't revealed.

I reallllly want another b-sides cd full of some of these songs... sometimes live records just don't cut it (with all the crowd noise and all.)

Since I guess he's working on that "green" CD he must have some new songs looming about, anyone notice him playing any new stuff that could be from it at recent live shows?

Ah I'm addicted.

Closing_Doors 06-02-2007 10:09 AM

A studio version of Lonely Soldier was released in 2004.

Ithilsul 06-02-2007 10:16 AM

!

I remember hearing a version taken from the BBC session video, if thats the one you mean, but i'll look into this... thanks!

Closing_Doors 06-02-2007 10:20 AM

No, it was released for charity in June 2004. It's mentioned on the official site.

Bumpman 06-02-2007 12:26 PM

Face was released too.

Nine 06-02-2007 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpman
Face was released too.

As Juniper though, right?

Closing_Doors 06-02-2007 01:41 PM

Juniper recorded a demo of Face, but they never released it. The one Bumpman is referring to is Damien's version.

cmigliaccio 06-04-2007 03:18 AM

Is the Lonely Soldier single available online anywhere? And what was Face released on?

SisterMidnight 06-04-2007 05:08 AM

lonely soldier used to be up for sale on the official site, not sure if it still is

face was released on the embraces compilation

FightthegdFight 06-04-2007 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ithilsul
I'm wondering if he keeps studio recordings of songs like Face, Lonely Soldier, Bottom Shelf, etc, and if he does... will they ever be released or leaked?

It's a very real possibility with Damien since he uses a studio set up in his home. In that sense, unlike a mainstream band that has to pay for studio time, he can record when ever he wants without too much effort.

thismachinekillstheenemy 06-04-2007 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmigliaccio
Is the Lonely Soldier single available online anywhere? And what was Face released on?

If its the lonely soldier version im thinking of its not very good. better sticking to the live version.

Nine 06-04-2007 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterMidnight
lonely soldier used to be up for sale on the official site, not sure if it still is

face was released on the embraces compilation

And it was a studio version??

Timeé 06-04-2007 08:14 PM

of course lonely soldier was recorded in the studio with christy moore...

Rue Saint-Denis 06-04-2007 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FightthegdFight
It's a very real possibility with Damien since he uses a studio set up in his home. In that sense, unlike a mainstream band that has to pay for studio time, he can record when ever he wants without too much effort.

Didn't someone (I think Spamlet) say Damien said he recorded It Didn't Take You Long?

SisterMidnight 06-04-2007 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nine
And it was a studio version??

yep

Bumpman 06-05-2007 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timeé
of course lonely soldier was recorded in the studio with christy moore...

There's also two official releases without Christy Moore, one on a later pressing of the Volcano single, and another on a benefit album for Aung San Suu Kyi. Both releases are still available.

Tommy 06-05-2007 12:51 AM

Yup I got my Volcano vinyl with Lonely Soilder B-Side off the HMV website a few months ago.

SisterMidnight 06-05-2007 01:00 AM

mmm vinyl

Tommy 06-05-2007 01:16 AM

mmm uma thurman

Bumpman 06-05-2007 01:20 AM

mmm open faced club sandwich

elephantintheroom 06-05-2007 02:43 AM

I hate to be ignorant here, but I hadn't heard of the EmBraces album till just reading this thread just now...

It looks amazing! Anyone know if it's still available for purchase anywhere? Sorry if this is a dumb question....

Spamlet 06-05-2007 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rue Saint-Denis
Didn't someone (I think Spamlet) say Damien said he recorded It Didn't Take You Long?

Yup, he told me that following the Hiro gig. It was during the "9" sessions but he also said (much like how he explained it in the EPK) that it didn't come out right since they weren't really in the "angry album 2" space. Witness the relatively tame studio versions of intensely angry live fare like "Rootless" and "Elephant" and I'd say he made the correct decision to wait til he truly feels it again.

Consider that particular session scrapped but I wouldn't rule it out at all to be recorded when he inevitably goes back into a bitter place (it's about 8 years ago-amazing how you hold on)

Hey E in the R,
Forgive me if I've asked this of you prior, but where you, by chance, at the legendary Odeon show back in '04?

Ithilsul 06-05-2007 08:26 AM

Well I must get ahold of this Face recording... some how. He didn't actually record O or 9 at home, did he? I also wonder how he ended up with lisa and vyvienne... i wonder alot, though.

Nine 06-05-2007 12:11 PM

[quote=Timeé]of course lonely soldier was recorded in the studio with christy moore...[/QUOTE

I meant face :) Can anyone send me the studio version of Face? Unless it was a charity album, in which case, link to somewhere I can buy it anyone?

Tommy 06-05-2007 12:19 PM

May I second Nine's movement to involve myself.

Thom

Closing_Doors 06-05-2007 01:06 PM

Face was recorded "live" in studio, I think. It was released on a CD called Embraces, the proceeds of which went to Aids West. I don't know if you can still track it down.

SisterMidnight 06-06-2007 02:15 AM

brendan at irish music central has this info on it (he's got the complete discography listed i believe):

"The album this year is the follow-up to InunDations and features 39 tracks which includes Glen Hansard, Damien Rice, Mundy, Woodstar, Jerry Fish, Josh Ritter and many more. EmBraces comes in double CD and double vinyl combined and is a strictly limited edition. The proceeds of the album this year go to AIDSwest and can be purchased by emailing Gerry ."

not sure how long ago that was posted though..

jdub1892 06-13-2007 01:44 PM

I'd love to hear that Face, if anyone has it, or knows anything about where to get it, shoot me a PM, thanks.

Bumpman 06-13-2007 05:39 PM

To reiterate; it's for charity. You're not supposed to steal from people who can't help themselves.

borneoman 06-13-2007 06:17 PM

I got my Lonely Soldier CD on e-bay, you can find it on ebay all the time. There is one right now! here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Damien-Rice-Chri...QQcmdZViewItem