The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien Rice (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Music similar to Damien Rice? (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15231)

Uncreation 11-15-2007 07:55 AM

Music similar to Damien Rice?

Hello i'm new here... I just have had trouble finding artists similar to Damien and I was wondering who you guys would recommend. Thanks.

dboyd 11-15-2007 09:14 AM

first of all welcome to the igloo!

The closest match to Damien Rice in my mind would probably be Glen Hansard. Mostly his stuff that he has done as The Swell Season (Glen Hansard And Marketa Irglova). There's a few others like Ray LaMontange, but i Damien isn't like many other artists, at least that i know of... he's a rare breed.

cille 11-15-2007 09:39 AM

Fionn Regan, Bell X1, The Frames, Glenn Hansard, Ani DiFranco, Gemma Hayes, Ray Lamontagne, Hollie Rogers, David Gray, Ryan Adams, Josh Ritter, Josh Rouse, Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Elliott Smith, Joni Mitchell, Nina Simone, Jeff Buckley, Wilco, J. Tillman, PJ Harvey, Ane Brun, Thomas Dybdahl, José Gonzáles, Neil Young, Bill Coleman, Ed Harcourt, M. Ward, and maaaaybe you'll like Fiona Apple, Devendra Banhart, Tori Amos and Rufus Wainwright too..

Sorry for the name bombardment, but I hope you will like at least some of them :)

Dommers 11-15-2007 03:25 PM

Check out the first two Tom McRae albums:

1. Tom McRae (self-titled)
2. Just Like Blood

...both fantastic. First album similar to Damo, a lot of cello, great songs and vocals

melodie 11-15-2007 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cille
Fionn Regan, Bell X1, The Frames, Glenn Hansard, Ani DiFranco, Gemma Hayes, Ray Lamontagne, Hollie Rogers, David Gray, Ryan Adams, Josh Ritter, Josh Rouse, Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Elliott Smith, Joni Mitchell, Nina Simone, Jeff Buckley, Wilco, J. Tillman, PJ Harvey, Ane Brun, Thomas Dybdahl, José Gonzáles, Neil Young, Bill Coleman, Ed Harcourt, M. Ward, and maaaaybe you'll like Fiona Apple, Devendra Banhart, Tori Amos and Rufus Wainwright too..

Sorry for the name bombardment, but I hope you will like at least some of them :)

cille's right :smiley20:

i'd also recommend joseph arthur, sufjan stevens, liam frost and david ford.

Moves-My-World 11-15-2007 04:06 PM

James Blunt

..awaits angry mob with pitchforks

NB: This comment was riddled with sarcasm

bearbait 11-15-2007 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moves-My-World
James Blunt

I just have to comment here - James Blunt was on Sesame Street the other day. He sang a song about triangles to the tune of "Your Beautiful". It was pretty funny.
But not as funny as REM singing "Shiny Happy Monsters"!!

Nine 11-15-2007 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cille

Awww! Thanks for the plug cille! oh you lovely thing.... I notice you didn't mention yourself... Check out cille's music, she's amazing! x x

dawno 11-15-2007 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearbait
I just have to comment here - James Blunt was on Sesame Street the other day. He sang a song about triangles to the tune of "Your Beautiful". It was pretty funny.

heheh.... i love the muppet with the kate pierson wig.....

purebloom 11-15-2007 07:55 PM

Elvis Perkins

Emelie 11-15-2007 08:24 PM

James Morrison - the slightly jazzy one

Nine 11-15-2007 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emelie
James Morrison - the slightly jazzy one

do you really think he's similar to damien?

A Lonely Soldier 11-16-2007 04:57 PM

fionn regan
paddy casey
the red rose cafe

A Lonely Soldier 11-16-2007 05:10 PM

fionn regan
paddy casey
the red rose cafe

Mort 11-16-2007 05:33 PM

James Morrison? He is good, I like his music a lot but I don't think he is any similar to Damo.

I'd say Glen Hansard and Fionn Regan :icon_kidr

Emelie 11-16-2007 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nine
do you really think he's similar to damien?

Not extremely no, but neither are some of the other artists mentioned :) But I think you might like him if you like Damo, that's all I'm saying :)

Lin@ 11-17-2007 07:07 PM

Ali Whitton (!!!)
Lesli
Songs: Ohia
Teitur
Nick Drake
Bonnie "Prince" Billy
Thomas Dybdahl
Alexi Murdoch
Evan McHugh
Bright Eyes

borneoman 11-17-2007 08:31 PM

I'd say Radiohead too, especially The Bends!! :icon_kidr :icon_kidr :icon_kidr

verenita 11-17-2007 09:35 PM

i could say lisandro aristimuño...
he´s a singer-songwriter form argentina...
i find his music similar to damien´s... maybe more experimental, but still pretty similar...
check him out:
http://myspace.com/lisandroaristi

edit: sorry, i wasn´t polite before... very welcome!

mark. 11-18-2007 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearbait

woah....that was the funniest thing ever.
bit of a limbo, really...
like, how low can you go?

Shahar 11-19-2007 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moves-My-World
James Blunt

hahaha, you remind me that me and my boss just laughed about James Blunt yesterday when we heard some song of him in the radio, we decided that he's gay.
So I think that he really can't be similar to Damien Rice.

kski09 11-19-2007 10:23 PM

maybe some Mic Christopher?

Mignonnet 01-12-2010 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melodie (Post 334683)
i'd also recommend joseph arthur, sufjan stevens, liam frost and david ford.

You should really check out some of his song, he`s really good, maybe not so similar to Damien, but still great.
Here are two songs you may like:
John Wayne Gacy Jr, To be alone with you.

Brandinian 01-12-2010 04:19 PM

I really can't listen to John Wayne Gacy Jr., the song really makes me uneasy and creeps me out. It's a great song, I just don't think I was in the right state of mind when I first heard it. My favorite song of his is "The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades is Out to Get Us!"

I fully agree with the suggestions of The Swell Season (Glen Hansard) and Mic Christopher. Skylarkin' is one of the best albums that I've ever heard, and if you like Damien, you're sure to like it as well.

October Sky 01-15-2010 06:04 PM

Joe Purdy, The Low Anthem, David Gray, Mick Flannery

bryce5.23.88 01-16-2010 05:40 AM

check out: For Emma, Forever Ago by Bon Iver. Not EXACTLY like damien, but it's an amazing album that, to me, has a similar home-recorded appeal

insanebaby 01-16-2010 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mignonnet (Post 355267)
You should really check out some of his song, he`s really good, maybe not so similar to Damien, but still great.
Here are two songs you may like:
John Wayne Gacy Jr, To be alone with you.

to be alone with you is great, indeed, but there is one song i like most : for the widows in paradise, for the fatherless in ypsilanti . check it out ;)

MANGO 01-16-2010 11:45 AM

Rachael yamagata !

Mignonnet 01-16-2010 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insanebaby (Post 355480)
to be alone with you is great, indeed, but there is one song i like most : for the widows in paradise, for the fatherless in ypsilanti . check it out ;)

Yes, For the windows in paradise is really nice, i don`t know why i didn`t mention this song :icon_scra

glo32 01-16-2010 12:15 PM

You guys have to check out Bill Callahan's latest album "Sometimes I Wish We Were An Eagle", absolutely one of my favorite albums of 2009... I don't think he's similar to Damien (What does 'similar' mean anyway?) but a great album for sure.
And if you like it, his previous albums are worth checking out as well (before 2007 he used to release music under the alias Smog)