View Single Post
Old 11-04-2014, 11:25 AM   #72
theninthcrime
Igloo Melter

Amazing amazing gig. Best Damien Rice gig I've ever been to out of 4 (I missed the Whelan's gig though)

I was worried towards the start that he wasn't going to talk to the crowd at all. I really liked the crowd interaction during Volcano and was happy that everyone shut up again after that (apart from the girl in front of me towards the back of the stalls who had to be kicked out for being drunk/rowdy).

Some of the stories later on about "I remember" and "Colour me in" were great. At two or three points for other songs he cut a story short and you could see him almost say "Nah I won't say that bit- It's too personal or they won't get it" - I wish he did keep talking

The only negatives I'd have is that I felt he did try to overcompensate for the lack of a band by using the pedal and strobe lights too much (anyone else think the strobes were blindingly bright). It just made him seem kind of angry and he isn't at the moment- he seems like he's in a really good comfortable place.

I felt his voice kind of struggled during some of the older songs trying to do Lisas parts at times- but if anything this gave an extra deeper sad element to the songs which kinda worked.

The Finalé was perfect. Rónán Ó Snodaigh is amazing and really added to the Finalé as did the Dublin Gospel Choir. Trusty and True was an amazing choice to finish on and I was delighted he got a full standing ovation
theninthcrime is offline   Reply With Quote