View Single Post
Old 11-04-2014, 06:32 PM   #86
theninthcrime
Igloo Melter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shillelagh View Post
^ did they add a weird drum to this radio edit of TBD??
Not to bring this thread off Topic but that version sounds awful - I really hate when they do this. When I got back from the gig last night (back on topic ha) I read that amazing Hot Press interview Damien did back in 2009 Worth a read if you haven't read it before- he professes his love for Lisa again and again.

During the interview he talks about radio edit of Cannonball.
Quote:
“The came to me and said ‘Are you open to people doing remixes of your songs?’ and I thought ‘cool’. To me, a remix was a really artistic interesting take on the song, you know. And I was like, ‘Yeah, absolutely’. So they sent me back some remix from somebody in the States, and I was like, ‘This is terrible. It just sounds cheesy’. So then, they said ‘Oh we’ll try somebody else’. After about ten different remixes of different songs, I was like ‘This is awful, can you just stop this? Who is paying for this?’. You know, probably me. So I was like ‘Stop!’.
And I remember my management at the time going, “Will you just give us something that we can get on radio, because we just can’t sell this unless we can get it on radio”. And I remember at the time I wrote a contract with them, and I said, “Okay, if you never mention the word ‘remix’ to me again, then I will let you use this one remix”. And so myself and my manager wrote a little contract. And so they used the Cannonball remix. But I remember there was a bit of fighting, you know, it took a bit of clashing before getting to a comfortable place with that, because it drove me nuts. I felt like, “Why are people trying to change this? What’s wrong? Trying to sell it? Sell what? Why?”. To me it had already sold more than I had ever dreamt it would sell. And so I didn’t have a concept of beyound 5000″.
So it puzzled me as to how this awful remix of TBD was created. A quick google brought me to this thread from 2004 which deals with it. The forum administrator explained at the time

Quote:
hey guys,

just to let you know about this. it is an unauthorised version of the blower's daughter that the band didn't know about. when they did hear about it they asked for it to be taken back from the radio stations immediately. so if you hear it played anywhere, can you please let me know as they want to get it back from every radio station. thanks and i hope that clears it up.
So basically in short damn you Today FM
theninthcrime is offline   Reply With Quote