View Single Post
Old 07-17-2014, 05:13 PM   #154
carrroline
person

Almost a year ago…

I got a little nostalgic and stumbled upon this little article:
http://thepopcop.co.uk/2013/08/a-day...d-little-fire/

I liked reading Jamie's side of the story, thought some of you might enjoy it too…
Quote:
Lucerne is a beautiful place and the Swiss audiences are hugely receptive. I was asked to perform three separate hour-long sets on an open-air stage in relentless 35-degree heat… and I absolutely loved it. During my third gig on the Saturday afternoon I noticed Damien Rice in the crowd watching my performance. It was definitely an “Oh wow!” moment, to put it very mildly.

Not long after I finished, I received a text message from Damien’s manager asking if I would like to join Damien backstage and perhaps sing with him at his gig. Making my way from the outdoor KKL Plaza stage to the 1,900-seater Concert Hall, I can only describe the feeling as surreal yet wonderfully real.

I arrived backstage just in time to hear Damien singing The Blower’s Daughter. Chills ran down my spine at the beauty of it. He left the stage to rapturous applause and came over to talk to me and get a much-needed drink as it was roasting, the hottest weekend in Switzerland for years.

Damien asked if I’d like to join him for the encore. He invited me to sing one of my own songs, You Mean Something To Me, but not before pouring me a glass of wine on stage! I wasn’t nervous, it felt perfect. I just loved getting into the song. It was an incredible experience and an absolute privilege to play at his concert to his audience.

Because singing is such an emotional thing for me, when you’re really locked into it then it’s always a much better performance. After my song, we duetted on a cover of Leonard Cohen’s Hallelujah to close the festival. It was a moment of sheer joy for me.

We left the stage and hung out backstage for a bit. Having struck up a great rapport, we then made our way to a local park to play more music to some fans, as is often the case with Damien’s gigs. I think it says a lot about him as an artist and a person.

We collaborated on several songs, improvised some others (including one about the moon as it was looking so fine) and took turns to sing. Our voices blended really well and our harmonies sounded pretty good.

We went back to his hotel and had a bit of party in the reception, which was great craic. He’s a very genuine, intelligent guy. I’m still very much on cloud nine. I’d love to record with Damien – I’ll keep in touch with him and see what happens.
carrroline is offline   Reply With Quote