Thread: *Taping*
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2003, 06:27 PM   #44
olyrc
Eskimo Baby

Here's the scoop:

I got in the door with my gear just fine - they even checked my bag to make sure that was all I had in it. Took my time getting set up - the Croc's sound guy (can't remember his name) saw me setting up. Powered up when the lights went down. Opening band hits the stage. Wasn't going to tape them, just check levels & wait for Damien.

Right then the Croc's sound guy comes over and taps me on the shoulder & says Damien's sound guy just told him no recording today. Now the Croc's guy was totally cool - polite and everything. Asked him a few questions first and then started tearing down. Powered down, unplugged my optical cable & stowed it. Lowered the stand, started tearing it all down, putting my deck away, etc, etc.

Croc's guy comes back & asks if I can just unplug the XLRs so Damien's sound guy knows nothing is being taped. I pull them from the UA-5 & unplug the battery while he's standing there and he says thanks & walks away. I continue to pack up. Mics are still in the shocks since I usually take them down last.

About 30 seconds after the Croc's guy walks away, Damien's tubby pile sound guy (his name I remember - Jonathan) comes over and taps me hard on the shoulder, leans in and says, "get those mics down and in the bag right now or I'm going to make you leave." I responded very politely, "yep, working on it, it will all be packed up in a minute." He points his jelly-roll finger at my face and says, "do it now!"
Edited by: olyrc