View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 11:44 PM   #297
faninor
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_d View Post
But you're right, he threw around a bunch of his money and publicized it and donated some tunes to albums so that people would learn who he is, so he's a great guy!
Is that how it works? I've never wanted to support a cause, gone looking for a compilation album, bought it, and then discovered it had interesting artists featured on it. I suppose artists could contribute simply for the publicity, but more often I think they want to raise awareness or support a cause. Are you just assuming the worst or do you have a better reason for thinking this is not the case with Damien?

It seems odd to complain about the unfinished album(s) that he hasn't followed through on in one way or the other, and in the next complain about the respectable number of tracks he's released on compilation records in the meantime? Do you like the music he has written/released in the past several years? Do you want to hear a new album at all, or would you be just as satisfied if he tied up all the loose ends by announcing that he was retiring from the business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielM View Post
Yes because personally i am not familiarly with the facts of this claim. Either way i don't see the importance of it anyway. So he didn't credit them... so what?
Music credits are important, because the writers should be paid royalties. I don't know all of the facts. Was there some big dispute that I just never knew about?

Are there any indications that members of BellX1 were upset with how Damien credited his versions?

Who contributed significantly to writing the songs? How do we know which set of credits are really more accurate? Just because they were in a band, and recorded or played these songs together doesn't mean they were all significantly involved in writing every song -- didn't Lisa perform Splishy Splashy during a Damien Rice concert before she launched her own solo career? She's the only one credited as a writer (probably because she wrote it).

Could there be some agreement between Damien and BellX1 that we don't know about? If one party or the other had a problem with how it was done, I would expect that either they would not have been released or else there would have been lawsuits to modify the credits and sort things out.

I can't judge Damien's character based on song credits filed with his publisher, and if the members of BellX1 couldn't be bothered to say or do something, why should we care?
faninor is offline   Reply With Quote