Thread: For the singers
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2006, 12:56 PM   #9
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by liswyn
Is the Alexander technique a specific type of therapy or do they design in to suit your particular needs? I've heard that it does wonders for musicians, especially string players.
I don't know why but here in Copenhagen, singing is often combined with Alexander technique, but I don't know if that is just a regional coincidence, and I don't know what it's like in other parts of the world. I guess basically, Alexander Technique is just sort of lessons in how to sit down and stand up the way the body is "designed" (intelligently or through evolution, i don't know ) to. And yeah, I've also heard of it being good for musicians cause it sort of puts the spine back into place thus relieveing muscle tensions that can inhibit one's breathing or arm movement, etc. It seems kind of crazy, cause most of it is just sitting down, standing up, lying down, getting up while the therapist adjusts your posture. I think it depends a lot on the therapist, how helpful it can be, but I feel I have benefited a good deal from it.