Thread: Home Recording
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2007, 01:06 AM   #10
Fool
Eskimo Fool

Hey, first of all, happy new year everyone! I haven't been here for a while.

I use a behringer 'mini mixer'. It has 4 'proper' inputs and several others, which I don't use. You need some kind of interface or decent soundcard with multiple inputs (which I've yet to get) if you want to record more than two tracks at the same time. If two tracks is all you need, most decent recording applications will allow you to record seperatly from the left and right channel, which, tada, gives you two tracks if you assign the tracks to the appropriate channel. The mixer has phantom power on 4 of the tracks (I'm only going to talk about the 4 'real' tracks, as they're all I use). Both standard mic input and guitar jack inputs. Gain, 3 band eq (with a low cut function), fx mix, pan and level controls. The mixers has 100 in built, non-modifiable effects, but tbh you're better off using the software you have, providing it's good. The mixer plugs in via the line in on the computer, and has a lot more functions (which I have no use for) so I won't go into them. When I bought it, new, it was 120 quid. I've seen them cheaper since, and imagine second hand, they're probably available from 70 or more?

Microphones that I use, and I'm still learning lots on these and borrowing different ones of friends. The ones I own are an SM58, SM57 and PG81 (cheap condensor) all of which are Shure microphones. I have no use for the 57. The 58 can be good for vocals, though generally better live I find. The PG81 is what I'm currently using for vocals, as I like to pick up every sound of the vocal, for feeling and effect, even lots of breathing. If that's not your cup of tea, a 58 may be a better idea. Saying this, The best good value, **cheap** condensor microphone I've used is an AKGc1000s (I think that's what it's called) which are available for 100 quid in various places on the net. If you goto a music shop and ask for a condensor mic, be very careful of what they offer you. It was only after buying the PG81 that I found out I could of got the AKG for an extra 20 quid, and had also been offered an even worse mic for more in another shop. But, with microphones, it's always going to be personal preference, are you gonna record your guitar with one mic? or two? or one mic and a good pickup system? etc etc.

Software that I have used is Cubase SX3, Logic Platinum 5.5 (the last PC version), Sonar6, Protools Free and various other free programs such as a program called Audacity. The one I get on with most is Cubase, but it was the first program I used, so I may be biased. If you intend to use MIDI (which even if you don't now, you probably will in future) Logic, imo, is definatly the best program to use. In fact, hey, go buy yourself a mac whilst you're at it! I would think though, that Cubase is by far the easiest to learn with, especially over programs like Sonar6, which I could not get my head round one bit.

Anyway, I think alcohol has caused me to make a giant post that probably doesn't actually help. But, who knows Good luck, let us know what you go with!
Fool is offline   Reply With Quote