View Single Post
Old 11-14-2006, 08:40 PM   #9
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Here's my review... from the front line touching the stage!!

CANNONBALL- He appeared first on stage solo and did Cannonball just with the guitar.
DELICATE- Then the band joined him for Delicate which was great too.
I REMEMBER- This was incredible, beyond words. I'm still amazed at how well Lisa sings. She has such an amazing voice and she sings so softly. She really looked like a princess yesterday, with that sort of hippy-tiara in her head!! The ending of I remember was amzing, so powerful...
ROOTLESS TREE- IMO it was faaar better than the radio version. I didn't like the dragged yoooooooou, works far better with f-k u! And for the chorus Lisa was singing with Damien and it was amazing. And I like that they're trying to do different things with the songs, changing the rhythm and the structure, that's what all artists should try and do with their songs, you got the album versions, then go on tour and change them and try to make them better, or at least different...
CHILDISH- Wasn't expecting this one... was quiet calm...
THE ANIMALS WERE GONE- Wow, amazing... He started first in the wrong key and had to start again, seemed to have trouble with the lyrics in the beginning... That's such an incredible song!!! Lisa joined him in the chorus, but softere than in Rootless tree... Nice!! Think she was also playing a bit of an acoustic guitar here...
VOLCANO- Classic!! Makes you wish there were more Lisa/Damien duets in 9...
THEN GO- Incredible!!! Damien started doing the first verse and for a moment I thought he was gonna do the whole thing alone but Lisa then did the 2nd verse, so beautiful. Makes you wish it was in 9... The ending was also very powerful and heavy.
COCONUT SKINS- Similar to the album version. Lisa had some sort of maracas and she sang the chorus with Damien.
THE PROFESSOR- Biggest surprise of the night... for me at least, LISA DID THE 2ND VERSE!!!! Has she done in before??? Wow, unbelievable... so Damien did the first verse, perfect, great, and then Lisa did the 2nd one but changing all the "I" to "He", so she sang " he's the professor and I think he should know, what makes me come, what makes me stay...". They also finished with the short French part, without the "la pluie" part.
9 CRIMES- Damien moved to the piano for this one. The first part with Lisa on vocals is incredible, so mesmerizing!!! Short but beautiful!!
YOSHIMI BATTLES THE PINK ROBOTS- Here Damien asked for some wine and talked a bit, yep, the impression was that they were not 100% ready, good they have an extra month to practice now. Then he said what he wanted now was to listen to Vyv play... I thought she was gonna play on the cello but she moved to the piano and did Yoshimi, which was amazing, pure genious!!! This woman really has talent, not only she can play cello but she plays piano as well!!! Really really beautiful!!
ESKIMO- Great, loved the ending with both Lisa & Damien singing in Finish!
ELEPHANT- That was amazing, that's one of my favourites and it was impressive, how the song keeps building up and goes stronger and stronger. He clearly sang "thorny', which makes sense to me. Damien is really good at rhymes and wouldn't rhyme"horny" with "horny"... One of the highlights for me!!!!
TOFFEE POP- Wasn't expectuing that at all!! He never played it during the summer... Great!
THE BLOWER'S DAUGHTER- Perfect!! Amazing to see your favourite artist singing your favourite song ever from 5 ft distance!! \

encores:
ACCIDENTAL BABIES- With a long 3-4 minute intro. He had also problems in the beginnign with the lyrics, but caught up and was really beautiful, so sad but full of emotion. Halfway thru the song, I realised Vyv was not on stage, so we were not gonna get the beautiful ending from the KCRW... there was not even a piano ending, he just finished with What About me. At the end he joked that we should be in theraphy if we liked such depressing songs!!
THE MEDLEY- I think it lasted like 10 min, not 20. First he did AMIE, vyv played the cello amazingly here, then RAT WITHIN THE GRAIN, which was pretty short, 1 min max, then LONELILLY also quite short, GREY ROOM, super short, I think he only did the 1st verse, 45 sec max, then a gorgeous CROSS EYED BEAR, which was a bit longer than the rest and reaaly nice on the guitar, and he finished with BOTTOM SHELF which was nice.
COLD WATER- Perfect ending, they both sang incredible and Damien was very emotional in the last bit. Great ending!!!
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote