View Single Post
Old 06-30-2016, 10:30 AM   #37
damien lisa
am i breaking u

https://sharp983.com/dublin-review-o...nterlude-more/
Quote:
Lisa Hannigan arrived solo on stage to perform “Little Bird”. A room fell silent to just the sound of her acoustic guitar, and then from the silence rose her unique voice, feeling delicate yet determined, assured, pure, cutting the air, cutting into our spirits. It felt almost regal – but anyone who’s seen her perform before would say much the same. What’s new? She’s joined by her touring band, and Ye Vagabonds,

She’s been hanging around with some good people, for one. Aaron Dessner of The National has been working closely with her on her upcoming new album At Swim, and the influence is subtle yet powerful – structures on the new songs recall the contemporary classical works of his brother Bryce Dessner, or some of his own material like the Justin Vernon collaboration Big Red Machine. Some of the signature atmospherics from his time in The National pop out too; particular in the stormy Prayer For The Dying. Unreleased track Ora particularly shines; shimmering string instruments, syncopated percussion, unconventional structure, driving a sense that Lisa may reach her full potential on this upcoming work.

Apologising for repeatedly playing quiet songs, and asking for the crowd to stay silent, her voice precisely divides the silence; and joins acts like Villagers in Irish live music royalty. In a sense, it may do well for her to follow in Villagers’ example and bring us a similar live album, tying together her old material.
Quote:
Unreleased track Ora particularly shines; shimmering string instruments, syncopated percussion, unconventional structure, driving a sense that Lisa may reach her full potential on this upcoming work.
Her connection with the crowd was particularly lovely. One of her older masterpieces, Lillie, was introduced as “A song I wrote ten years ago for Robbie Brady”. And when a fan piped out “I missed you!”, she whispered out an emotional “I missed you too.”.

I’m hoping that’s a sign we won’t have another five-year disappearance ahead of us.