View Single Post
Old 06-17-2004, 11:11 AM   #14
Banjaxed
Eskimo Regular

I listened to Marian Finucane this morning (i hate that show - but i listened to see what was goign to be said about the BCI banning the When Bush Comes to Shove gig ad).

Marian Finucane played the ad on her show. To me there was nothing wrong with it, it simply said the name of the gig, who was playing where and when it was on.

According to the CEO of the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland (cant remember his name - Michael something I think). Newstalk were concerned about whether or not they'd be allowed to play the ad. They contacted the BCI and asked them to check it out and let them know what they thought. The BCI said the ad may be in breach of legislation which says that you cannot advertise for an event which is geared for a political end. On this basis Newstalk decided not to run the ad.

With respect to the posters: as i said before, you cannot putup posters on lamp-posts etc... without (i think) being a registered political party and leading up to an election.

These a both pieces of legislation that have been in place longer than the IAWM has existed. Whether you agree with the IAWM or not, they really should've been aware of how they'd be able to advertise the gig.

The gig has been billed as an "anti-war" gig, not anti-bush or anti-american, yet it's called "When Bush comes to Shove". Perhaps if it seemed to be more focused on Peace rather than Bush it wouldn't have been highlighted by the BCI as political. I really just think the IAWM should've been a bit cleverer.