View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 06:42 PM   #34
Canadian Island
Eskimo Regular

Only once, Berlin 07. A friend of mine just gave me the albums, then we went to Berlin and I was expecting a really quiet concert. The band came on stage and did 20 minutes of noise (probably Volcano and Yoke, I didn't really know the songs back then). Then Damien unplugged his guitar and silenced the room doing Cannonball. At this point I would have been absolutely satisfied shaking his hand, saying "thank you" and go home. Out of that moment came some kind of energy that I didn't feel before and I knew what I wanted to do with my life. One year later I played my very first concert. More concerts followed, then I travelled as a busker and recorded an album. I am far away from being big or famous or anything in that direction and very very often out of money. But I just want to repeat and repeat and repeat writing and playing no matter what. I only saw him live once and it made me change my life. It also was the last evening with Lisa being part of the Band.

Oh, I almost forgot. I saw him again playing only one song. Berlin 08, The Swell Season, second Encore. Glen said "There's this one guy that always helped us...". Of course, it had to be Damien, I thought and I was wondering which of his songs they'd do now and then he entered the stage doing 'The Professor'. Two days later I for the first time played a gig with a full band formation. I no longer believe in coincidences, but that's many other stories...
Canadian Island is offline   Reply With Quote