View Single Post
Old 06-10-2016, 05:51 AM   #29
SillyAnonymousPianist
between the waves

Loved both gigs !

On one hand I'd love to say many many things about them, and then on another I'd feel like giving away spoilers for the eskimos that have yet to see one of the future gigs (Galway and Dublin festival if I recall correctly).

That said and while there sure were many highlights that I won't spoil, there still is one I want to talk about (spoilers ahead you've been warned !) :

See, during the first evening in Newbridge/Riverbanks the audience was quite shy and while you could feel the excitement we still were all very quiet during songs. Which of course is to be expected during songs like "Little Bird" or "We, The Drowned" for example, but not so much during songs like "Knots" or "Passenger". I certainly hope Lisa wasn't disapointed at the lack of hand-clapping to accompany some of her upbeat songs because in fact I'm sure everyone wanted to and instead didn't dare or was waiting for someone else to start. This was absolutely obvious during "Knots" : people were stomping their feet and the whole metallic structure that held the seats was vibrating : I felt it from left to right, from behind me a lot as well. People did want to start clapping their hands, but noone was the first to, thus noone did. Shyness...

Which brings us to the second evening, in Kildare, at Cunningham's.
I don't know if it's because it was smaller, or was it because half the crowd was not sitted, or most people had a drink in their hand, because the ambiance of a pub instead of a "traditional" venue, or because it wasn't the very first gig of the tour anymore ?
But then it did finally really start, and it was during "Passenger".
We were clapping our hands, we were singing the chorus : at last the "celebration" happened !
It was brilliant !
We were quite good for the "And I said BiiIIIiiiiIIIiIiIIrd" part of the chorus, but then for the "OoooOOoooh WhyyyYYYyyYyyYYY" part it was more like every (wo)man for (her)/himself and going in all directions and probably accross all known musical scales : which in fact made it even more glorious and unforgettable : Lisa was laughing as she was singing, and it probably made people clap harder, sing louder, and certainly "WhyyyYYYyyYyyYYY" even wilder !
What also made this version of "Passenger" very special is that it was only Lisa and the two guys from "Ye Vagabonds" on stage, one of them playing the violin (fiddle style it seemed to me) : it was absolutely unique. I looooooved it !

I soooooo hope a live version like this, both with "Ye Vagabonds" and the audience going bonkers, is recorded and released one day.

Sadly I have little or no decent pictures of the actual gigs so instead, for the recap of my 3 day trip,
I posted it in the "everything else" section of the forum since most of the pictures are about the actual travel,
some doubts, some joys, some misfortunes, and some wonders that happened...