View Single Post
Old 08-11-2006, 10:05 AM   #41
gregamiepgy
marsh - wiggle

I agree with the semantic part of your post; I take terrorism as there being no condoning of life-threatening activities under the guise of Islam. Just goes to show again how significant a role language plays in our lives haha (I remembered reading how UN stayed its hand in the Israel-Hezbollah conflict because Israel's attack did not amount in severity to certain pre-determined categories?)

"In fact, many are mistaken that homosexuality is as much cultural as biological" Oppss.. sorry! What I wanted to write was "Homosexuality is not so much cultural as biological" Sorry! Was typing the post during work speed was the essence hehe. I mean, many hold that homosexuality is cultural, i.e. a practice of a particular culture (Greeks, dutch etc.). Reducing it to merely a practice means one has the choice NOT to practise it as much as practising it, thus grouping it along with cannibalism, Indian's sati, the Chinese's giving of angpows, etc. Reasoning thus deprives the biological factor from homosexuality, which I think is unfair. And since it is not so much cultural as biological, a human condition rather than culture-specific, I do not doubt closeted homosexuals are everywhere in our country some might have come out, who knows? Just that in the media they are not really granted a voice. But recently our media have been showcasing the plights of the transgendered so we're slowly opening up (plus with the onset of technology and the Internet, I doubt our censorship board can do anything haha).

I'm sorry this is so long! I think our censorship board pales in extermity compared to China's.

Mrs Doyle: Fr Todd Unctuous?
New Priest: [Suddenly elated] YES! WELL DONE!

Last edited by gregamiepgy; 08-11-2006 at 10:27 AM.
gregamiepgy is offline   Reply With Quote