View Single Post
Old 07-08-2005, 06:59 PM   #6
PenguinBoy
Appreciative Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaftage
Just today I was bouncing some ideas off my father, (he's old school but still pretty sharp) I was under the inpression that music is not a big part of muslim life. I mean if you have to dress and groom yourself in a specific manner so as to not be harassed, I figure the chance that one of the most beautiful forms of self-expression is probably not very high on the ol "to-do list".
We were unable to resolve the discussion and I hate leaving a concept in the open (especially about music,which I feel so strongly) I have unsussessfuly tried to google this.....any help would be appreciated..........
on the contrary man. (i think you may be steriotyping a bit btw). Traditional grooming etc, has nothing to do with self-expression, if anything music can be an outlet. In some muslim countries, which is what i think you're referring to, (not that it's part of the religion) there can indeed be very strict rules on many aspects of life, and music can be a way in which people can express things they can't say verbally.
In any case, Music is a very big part of eastern life. To answer that question.

"noshorterthan3characters"- i tend to agree with you on some of that, but whoa man, this kid is just curious, maybe also mislead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noshorterthan3characters
beautiful and more respectful the Muslim religion is in pratice than Christianity
That's a bit of a generalised statement. fundamentally most religions have the same basis love thy neighbor, be good etc. I don't think anyone can really make a statement saying one religion is better than another. And allot of the grooming stuff is infact just the ways the old clerics got the people to be hygenic, they've just got carried on. And i don't know what music the christian religion probhibits, i haven't heard of anything of that nature before.

Last edited by PenguinBoy; 07-08-2005 at 07:03 PM.
PenguinBoy is offline   Reply With Quote