View Single Post
Old 09-26-2014, 05:20 AM   #114
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspirationDestination View Post
I looove this song more every time I listen to it, despite the stranger danger in the manger. But, I also love accidental babies (it's one of my favorites), except for the "accidental babies" part. I can't wait to hear it live!
I know you're just having fun with it and if that were the actual phrase you'd have every right. This will be my last defense of those lyrics and I hope it will make you appreciate them a bit more. Some people have mentioned the fact that it's a triple rhyme but what they haven't seemed to realize is the way the song is structured it's actually part of a larger pattern which both musically and lyrically helps tell the story.

The chorus begins "I don't want to change you/ I don't want to change you/ I don't want to change your mind." Each time the word change is repeated it is essentially an anti-rhyme of itself and the same sounds (if not notes) are sung to echo it, even going so far as to diminish in volume. So he's reinforcing the belief that nothing will "change" and that his sentiment is sincere.

However, the second half then breaks the pattern by changing the word "change" itself yet keeping the same number of times it's sung and the same basic melody intact. If it wasn't already apparent from the rest of the lyrics, it's another way of letting us know that the narrator of this song isn't fully telling the truth. Of course he wants to change her mind. He wants her to be in love with him.

The phrase "Accidental Babies" is a whole other level of genius. It simultaneously manages to serve as witty joke and tragic fate depending on the interpretation of which of the members of the love triange the "one of us" refers to. Since I believe it's actually all 3, it's all the more heartbreaking.

Last edited by Spamlet; 09-26-2014 at 05:24 AM.
Spamlet is offline   Reply With Quote