View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 07:28 PM   #15
Amie R.
Eskimo Regular

I read this today on irish times:Orla 37 , responding to Damien Rice: I am squirming with shame as I write this, as a professional woman with a few postgraduate qualifications to my name, I confess I struggled with Damien Rice’s riddle, I went through many permutations in my head and yet the “surgeon” figure was male in every one of them. This from a pragmatic feminist!

Why is this so? I do not agree with Damien’s statement that “mothers represent nurturing and patience,” this is a social constraint placed on women by Bunreacht na hÉireann. This is as stereotypical as my presumption that the surgeon was male. However, I do agree with Damien that there may be “a bug in the brain” which limits our perspectives. This is a very dangerous mutating bug that is being used as an excuse by our church to justify their inaction while innocent little children were being raped and buggered. This virus is being used by our politicians and bankers as an excuse for the fiscal fiasco we find ourselves in. This bug was cultured in the Petri dish we call our Constitution, the Constitution that convinced us our patriarchal institutions – marriage, the church, the education system, the legal system, the political system – were God-given and were to be trusted absolutely.

It is time for a complete constitutional overhaul. I think maybe what Damien means by “mothering” the nation is to allow humanity and justice to prosper. The Arts are an expression of the feminine that is present in even the most masculine of our citizens – well done Gabriel Byrne, Damien Rice, Ballyfermot College et al. Forgive the ramblings of a pragmatic feminist who has had her cosy cage rattled!

I didn't not read what he wrote so I cant say something myself,but thought I should share it with you...