View Single Post
Old 04-08-2005, 06:44 PM   #19
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

i was raised as a catholic but i never really believed in a omnipotent, benevolent god. i always thought, why does our god has to be the only god, how can we be sure. what about the buddhist god, the muslim god or even ancient gods. there seems to be an anthropological tendency to create a god in order to give our lives a deeper meaning. in that way i believe there's a god, but a man-made god created to our own image.

i'm not an atheist either, i just don't believe there is a god or that his existence can be proven let alone analysed. so i don't think that believers should be bother by non-believers or skeptics

there is a great book by great the portuguese nobel of literature, jose saramago, called The Gospel According to Jesus Christ (one of the best books i've read). in this book, god is portrayed as a god with human flaws like selfishnessm, arrogance and egotism. it could be extremely offensive to some people. but saramago, a self-proclaimed atheist, is not stating those are god's characteristics (he doesn't even believe in him). what he's saying is bassically that from what we know about god, there could be many interpretations about god's true nature.

whether one believes or not in god, depends only on each person, and believing in god is a matter of faith not knowledge or even convenience. in a world with so many great things but also horrible events, each person's faith in god can't be conditioned to their own fortune
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote