View Single Post
Old 04-09-2005, 12:04 PM   #29
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali
i was raised as a catholic but i never really believed in a omnipotent, benevolent god. i always thought, why does our god has to be the only god, how can we be sure. what about the buddhist god, the muslim god or even ancient gods.
Buddhists don't believe in God as such, and the Muslim God is the Christian God (and the Jewish God). Jews, Muslims and Christians differ in that they have different views as to who the Messiah was (and Jews are still waiting for the Messiah). You do have a valid underlying point though. There is a theory (or belief, if you prefer) that the various different religions throughout history are all just different interpretations of the same God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cello_pudding
there are way too things that are in perfect mediums to create life. the existance of stars and helium and Beryllium to create carbon to create our earth, the perfect medium of our gravity (if it were +/-1% pressures and temperatures wouldn't be liveable), attraction of protons and neutrons on the subatomic level, we have a moon that keeps our orbits and rotations in order, the existence of jupiter to save earth from debree, the introduction of complex things by means of NON-darwinian evolution. not that i don't believe in evolution, i don't entirely believe in macroevolution, but its just plain fact there is micro...but that's unavoidable.
I completely agree. You've really summed it up. Haven't a whole lot to add but thought I'd mention that the whole concept of quantum physics ("the cat is both dead and alive") really reinforced, for me anyway, the fact that there HAD to be a God. For those unfamiliar with the cat analogy:

"Schrodinger's Cat:

A cat is placed in a steel chamber, together with the following hellish contraption. In a Geiger counter there is a tiny amount of radioactive substance, so tiny that maybe within an hour one of the atoms decays, but equally probably none of them decays. If one decays then the counter triggers and via a relay activates a little hammer which breaks a container of cyanide. If one has left this entire system for an hour, then one would say the cat is living if no atom has decayed. The first decay would have poisoned it. The wave function of the entire system would express this by containing equal parts of the living and dead cat. [Erwin Schrodinger, Naturwiss. 48, 52 (1935) translated by Josef M. Jauch, Foundations of Quantum Mechanics, p. 185.] "

Anyway, later

Last edited by Closing_Doors; 04-10-2005 at 06:02 PM.
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote