Thread: Equipment
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2007, 05:27 PM   #7
josh popejoy
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Jive
I'm kicking myself for not looking. I almost went up to the stage after the Austin City Limits taping to look at his pedalboard. Oh, if I could only go back in time...

My big question is what sources the two lines from his acoustic guitar are. He plugs in two cables to his acoustic, and when he is playing distorted, you can still hear the clean acoustic underneath. Its super cool, and probably simple enough too. I just wish I knew for sure if one was a contact pickup and the other a mic, or two pickups, or what...

Oh well...

bj
he probably has one that is muted that the distortion runs through. There are a couple easy ways to do this w/o spending too much (and only using one pickup)....

get a boss TU-2 tuner. It has a single input and a bypass and regular output, when the tuner is on, the output is muted, but the bypass is not. so, in theory, you could leave the tuner on until you wanted distortion, then unmute it and have the output running through a distortion pedal.

The other is...instead of using the TU-2 to split the signal, use a Fishman Platinum Pro-EQ, it has a "tuner/send" that you can send to the distortion. Again, between the EQ and distortion you'd need a pedal that has muting capabilities (like the boss TU-2...i think fender makes a cheaper version).

now if only i could figure out the distortion mic w/o so much feedback. wonder if a noise gate would help
josh popejoy is offline   Reply With Quote