View Single Post
Old 08-29-2006, 07:58 AM   #89
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvinC980t_kid
NO.

there is no racism or sterotyping in that at all. people talk like that. i made fun of it. if you don't like it then keep it to yourself, cause nothing offensive was said.
YES. I stand by what I said. That what you guys wrote smacks of racism. That, by definition, means it suggests without being blatently stated (like, oh I dunno, wearing a KKK outfit). The vast majority of racist behavior takes the more covert form but is no less damaging. You two alternately stated that people who communicated in the manner of the examples you gave were "stupid". You claimed one had to "turn their brain off" in order to speak that way. Now please explain to me why exactly you make fun of people who talk like that? Is it only when they aren't black? If so, then you admit that there is a racial element to your mockery. If not, then are you saying the speech itself (and, therefore, the black people who created it and perpetuated its spread) is "stupid"? Which is it? Either way you look at it, racism is present here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvinC980t_kid
and if it is "smacks of racism" then come here and tell all the white kids who actually talk like that to quit being racist. it is only sterotyping when people like you say it is. you crying about it is the only thing ignorant, because it is racist of you to think that black people are the only ones talking that way when in fact... no matter where you go and what race you are around people talk like that.
Where am I crying? I asked you politely and calmly not to discriminate and gave my reasons. The fact that white teenagers have appropriated or co-opted such slang does nothing to diminish the fact that the words and phrases cited were ebonic in their origin. I'm well aware such slang is widespread now but I'm not the one who had a problem with that fact. You are. No distinction was ever made that it is the borrowing of that language, which you now claim, you were objecting to.

But, no. I don't think there's anything inherently racist in "all the white kids" (there goes your stereotyping again) who use such slang to honestly express themselves. If it is used as mockery of the way others talk because you feel superior to them then that's an entirely different story. That's what you admit to doing. That's what I find offensive and ignorant.

Ancyuber,
Not comparable. Damo himself has proudly referred to himself and that shirt as "hippy" as have numerous others here. At this point, it's akin to shorthand to say "the patchwork" shirt or "the hippy shirt". It was merely a clever play on words and, in any case, was in no way used negatively since it was part of a proposed cheer of approval and encouragement.

Shyatt, Thank you. Yes, actually: at my graduation yesterday I was called exceptionally "kind, gentle and open-hearted". Read the above comments to the "lady doth" carvin for my answer to your counterclaims. I appreciate your mature and diplomatic attitude greatly and look forward to future equally respectful discussions.

Sniffer,
Yes.