Thread: London - 7 Nov
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2014, 08:42 AM   #44
jupitercrash
Nothing is lost...

Very respectful crowd, similar to Dublin. Maybe not quite as "pin-drop" quiet, but quiet. A bit of singing along to The Blowers Daughter (first of two encore songs) but that's fairly understandable given that people had been warmed up by the singalong Volcano ending.

The venue was excellent, could've been more dimly lit, but otherwise great. Just about small enough for the busking version of Trusty and True, before the choir joined in to ease the slight ear-strain.

Damien was in great form, a lot of witty comments - one about the aforementioned lighting. He stopped playing The Greatest Bastard when some people giggled after the "...helped you open out your wings, your legs and many other things" line. He joked "you obviously haven't bought the album". Then he asked for the lights (little lamp type lights at the rear of the dress circle) to be turned off. Someone said they couldn't be switched off and he said something like "...insurance, in case someone trips when they're going to the bar.... you're not meant to leave when I'm playing!".

Nearer to the beginning of the gig, someone shouted "welcome back" and he said "thanks, I didn't really go anywhere" then something about brushing his teeth (presumably a reference to the metaphor he has mentioned in some recent interviews).

I think he told a good story ahead of The Box, and I'm damned if I can remember it. What am I like? It was just a few hours ago! Sorry, you'll have to wait for Rootless Girl's recording.

He forgot some lyrics a few times... you know the way he seamlessly recovers... I think it adds to the songs, it rarely detracts.

He mentioned that his family were present, on the last night of the European leg of this "mini, pre-album tour" and mentioned that there would be a "big tour" next year "so we'll see you next year, if we're still alive" and then he joked "Jesus, you had to go and make things miserable" (or something like that).

He told this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYQC0n_KcF) same story about the night before he wrote Amie (thanks Vere for the link).

In introducing Colour Me In, he told the 'inviting the different versions of himself around for to a dinner party' story. The one who says "go on, make yourself a nice cup of tea" in the morning and the one who says "don't approach that beautiful girl over there, you're miserable and she won't have any interest in you" (not direct quotes, but you get the gist).

Then he spoke about a friend who has been most brutally honest to him, a critical one who calls him on things, and he said he confronted this friend and looked at him, in the mirror, and said.....

I made a mess of that story, sorry. Wait for his version on the recording.

He was about to start another story ahead of I Remember, but then stopped, said "I say too much, zip" as he gestured zipping his mouth closed.

The new song was really great. I wondered if he played it to a family member, but this is just a notion that I plucked from anywhere or nowhere. He took two or three goes to get the song started, and was quite funny about it. He said something like "...clumsy, like all virgins.."!

Didn't have those blinding strobe lights that were in Dublin (or didn't use them except maybe once). I didn't get any sense of over-use/compensating with pedals that people spoke about after Dublin. I wondered was this because he didn't use those strobes... don't ask me how, but I have a notion that these things are connected.

The energy of London added to the night, as we spilled out onto the street after the gig. So much better than leaving a remote arena/stadium.

Genius.
jupitercrash is offline   Reply With Quote