View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 06:18 PM   #9
Max
Eskimå

Default A Wee Bit Disappointing

I agree with AllThatLies (and as always thanks for taping the show) - this was my 14th show and it was disappointing for a Damo show (which is hard to believe with that set list and the fact that we stood just a couple of yards from Damo front row center in the Pit).

It wasn't a bad show, but I guess I'm spoiled by all the great shows he's played in LA the last few years. The show last night was a far cry from the good old days (the shows at the Troubadur, Fonda, Wiltern or even last years show at the El Rey come to mind) - the enthusiasm and energy he used to have are gone, replaced by a mechanical - going through the motions - kind of performance. Maybe he just needs to recharge?

I never thought I'd say this, but last months Swell Season show was way better than last nights show - Glen and Marketa had all that magic that Damo was lacking last night. Enthusiasm, energy, fun, an amazing connection with the crowd, improvised moments, and that feeling that anything could happen at any moment (Damien standing next to us in the crowd that night and performing elephant wasn't even close to the highlight of the night).

I have a feeling that the combined weight of commitments business and everything that made Damien want to quit the business in the first place is catching up with him and dragging him down - Catch 22!

Lets hope Damo recharges - finds his enthusiasm - and starts enjoying himself again. In the meantime don't miss the swell season's mini tour (Sat Nov 10 if you're in LA) Glen and Marketa are so good and adorable it'll blow you away.

Never the less, great set list and Damo on an off night is better than most bands at their best. Cheers.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote