View Single Post
Old 09-22-2007, 12:18 AM   #22
adecca
igloo tourist

Default The Greek Show

As some know, this was my first live Damien show. I was quite dissapointed. Yes, it is true, he is great live and better than most musicians live, but I wasn't feeling it. I am not as savvy with his history and his "wanting to quit" the business, but it felt mechanical. I felt like he didn't want to be there (at least for the first half)... he felt disconnected, irritated, shut down etc.
He didn't speak or address the crowd or coo a "thank you" until half way through the show... walking out during "accidental babies" was somewhat bizarre and quite intense! Though he sounded brilliant and looked great, he didn't feel present. Don't get me wrong, I imagine living in that kind of stardom lends to enormous expectations that simply cannot be fulfilled at all times -- we are all human!
Suffice to say I am a little ambivalent. Who knows? Maybe he was having a ****ty day? Maybe he recently got someone pregnant? Maybe he got a parking ticket or a herpes outbreak? Whatever the case, entering anything with great expectations is simply a set up constructed in fantasy and unfounded hope.
I am certainly glad I didn't leave as he did redeem himself. The second half was far more engaging and he seemed less upset or distracted. "Cannonball " was absolutely moving! I was profoundly impressed by how his voice carried without the mic... I could have done without the shout-out's from the obnoxious crowd -- it felt disrespectful and annoying! I kind of hoped he would tell them to shut the **** up!

I am sad that I never got the chance to see him before --- or simply didn't have the desire as I recently became enthralled with him. I suspect that a long hiatus would do him good --- he emotes that tortured, intense young man that is searching and values his time and freedom to explore his life!

If I am to see him perform again, I would much rather see him in a more intimate venue -- While the Greek was a stunning venue, it felt too big for such a little guy (he is an adorable munchkin) with such intimate and intense music! Not that he has not earned his celebrity, just that I imagine witnessing him in a cozier venue.
adecca is offline   Reply With Quote